HELP fast....Taking water on board?

luv2travel2beaches

We are sailing TOMORROW. I THINK on our last cruise we were able to put a luggage tag on a case of water and check it in with our other luggage. Is this still possible? We are leaving out of San Pedro on the Sapphire Princess. Thanks!

Yes, you can do that, but there really is no need. A few bottles you can refill yourself and put in the frig to chill them is actually all you will need. The ships water is as pure as any bottled water you can buy.

Have a great cruise!

Yes, you can do that, but there really is no need. A few bottles you can refill yourself and put in the frig to chill them is actually all you will need. The ships water is as pure as any bottled water you can buy.

Have a great cruise!

Ships delasinate the water, but it still has a high Sodium content, not goo for people with high blood pressure and certain heart conditions.

Yes you can but we only take about 6 aboard with us. DW has a pretty tender tummy when it comes to water and she finds the ship's water just fine. Refill your bottles and put them in the fridge and you will never know the difference, it is every bit as good as bottled water if not better.:)

We are just going to split a case between 2 couples and use them when we go on our shore excursions. So thanks so much for the quick response....I'm glad it should work out. It sounds like your weather should be pretty decent tomorrow Toto....we are in CA getting ready for the cruise, but the family updated us on the weather forcast at home tomorrow! Good deal for January in Kansas!

Ships delasinate the water, but it still has a high Sodium content, not goo for people with high blood pressure and certain heart conditions.

I don't think so - do you have a system for checking the amount of sodium?

Ron

When cruising out of a US port I usually take a case of Poland Spring pint bottles, stick a luggage take on it, and have it taken to the cabin with the rest of the luggage. Has worked out very well every time. One lesson I did learn, however, is to put some extra packing tape around the outside of the case. One time the case arrived minus two bottles, either from handling or their being "helped" out by someone along the way. The packing tape keeps them in place either way :)

There is very little, if any, sodium in the desalinated water water from the ship - they use the reverse osmosis process - google it - you will find that the ships water is far better than the water you pay $2 a half litre for - but, if you insist on bottled water - GO FOR IT!!

Ron

Since I didn't want to start a new topic I thought I'd post something I was told today by my travel nurse here.

She said that cruise water is not really truely all that safe to drink and that we should stick to bottled water, even when brushing our teeth. Totally not what I wanted seeing as I didn't really plan on paying for bottled water at all. Since my travel agent said we could.

So now my mother is total against me bring my travel bottle with me. Hopefully I'll be able to grab some bottles to take on board.

Anyways discuss. I'd love to hear your opinions on this.

With all due respect to your nurse, um, no. I've drunk gallons of ship's water over the years and am been perfectly fine. Perhaps she's confusing it with airplane tap water, which is not really supposed to be all that good for you? Really, the water on ship is very pure, no problem at all (except for getting the shampoo/conditioner out of your hair -- it's especially hard or soft, I forget which kind of water that is that makes it hard to rinse your hair!). Don't worry at all about it.

Since I didn't want to start a new topic I thought I'd post something I was told today by my travel nurse here.

She said that cruise water is not really truely all that safe to drink and that we should stick to bottled water, even when brushing our teeth. Totally not what I wanted seeing as I didn't really plan on paying for bottled water at all. Since my travel agent said we could.

So now my mother is total against me bring my travel bottle with me. Hopefully I'll be able to grab some bottles to take on board.

I think it has been probably over 25 years or more since your travel nurse has cruised. Yes, back then they would put a decanter of water in your stateroom because you weren't supposed to drink the water out of the tap. My second cruise on a very old ship (the Fair Princess) was like that.

But things have REALLY changed since then. The water from the tap on the ship is as good now (if not better) than bottled water. It is not full of salt like some think and is perfectly fine for drinking, or anything else.

Ask your travel nurse the last time she cruised and where she got this info from, I am going to guess at least 25 years or more ago will be her answer. :) :)

I'm hoping your nurse already knows that many brands, such as Dasani (Coca-Cola) or Poland Springs (Nestle) are either just filtered tap water, or are come from less-than-clean sources in the first place. Other brands have been found to not even meet typical municipal standards for quality or purity. The whole industry is essentially a joke, methinks.

Mind you, although the potable water on the ships is pretty damn clean for the most part, I have seen some random nastiness. While I was on Azamara Journey last year, one night the water coming out of the bathroom tap left a black, oily film in the sink. Not sure I want to drink that either.

I will try to settle the debate. I am a water professional, it has been my business for 28yrs. The current ships water is by far better than what is bottled. First it is fresh ie.. it has not been sitting in a bottle for 4 months. The bottles have been found to leach chemicals into the water. The desalination process is an airiated process. When coupled with carbon treatment makes a great tasting, very hugh quality water. While onboard drink to your hearts content. Even the shower water is far better than your tap at home unless you have our equipment:D http://www.kinetico.com

What the heck is a travel nurse and who uses one?

I will try to settle the debate. I am a water professional, it has been my business for 28yrs. The current ships water is by far better than what is bottled. First it is fresh ie.. it has not been sitting in a bottle for 4 months. The bottles have been found to leach chemicals into the water. The desalination process is an airiated process. When coupled with carbon treatment makes a great tasting, very hugh quality water. While onboard drink to your hearts content. Even the shower water is far better than your tap at home unless you have our equipment:D www.kinetico.com

I agree the onboard water is very drinkable however I am not sure what you mean by the desalination process being an airiated process. I thought that phrase was only used to explain air in brake fluid! Can you please explain, especially since part of the early process of desalination is normally to de-aerate to reduce corrosion?

I agree the onboard water is very drinkable however I am not sure what you mean by the desalination process being an airiated process. I thought that phrase was only used to explain air in brake fluid! Can you please explain, especially since part of the early process of desalination is normally to de-aerate to reduce corrosion?

Thank you Kineticoh. I think what he means is that it is the reverse osmosis process that is used on newer ships, which is a figh pressure fine filrtation process.

Ron

Archived