Questions about TA's and Last Minute Internet Deals

Hello y'all. I have been away from CC for many months. I'm out of work and didn't think a cruise would be possible for a while. But Uncle Sam is being especially generous this year with my tax return. Yeah things are tuff with the economy and all; but when the going gets tuff, the tuff go cruising!

My question is this. Due to limited funds I am bargain shopping on the internet. But I don't really want to book a cruise on the net, do you think that a TA would be willing to do this for me? Isn't that what they would do anyway? I'm considering last minute deals if I can get a flight, since getting time away from work isn't an issue. But I'm concerned about getting stuck with as you wish dining or the stateroom below the disco. Is this a case of beggars can't be choosers? In the past I've always planned cruises months in advance so this would be new to me.

We've always used internet TAs without any problem. I think some of the consolidators get special deals, but maybe a local TA could just buy it online for you.

That said ... are you sure you want to go on vacation when the job situation is so tenuous? It's absolutely your call, but having lived through the last bad recession in 1982, we don't know how long it will take for things to turn around.

Most of the internet TAs have phone numbers where you can call and book anyway. Iv never booked online, even with online sites.

Most cruiselines do not allow advertising of discounted rates, so you can get the same rates you see online. If you havent done a ton of cruises, talking to someone can save you from booking a bad choice. For instance one internet TA site advertises their lowest Carnival price as a 1A, but they dont say anywhere its bunk beds on many ships. Carnival shows 4A as their lowest inside price. Folks see the 1A price and think the internet site is giving them a discount, which it isnt, just showing a lower category cabin.

We have booked our last four cruises online with reputable agencies. You will talk to one of their agents and they can answer any questions you may have. Regular travel agents usually cannot match the online deals but you can research and then ask your TA is they can match the price you get. Happy cruising.:)

I've used on-line TAs many times. However, one major one that I had used several times, Cruise Value Center, recently went out of business and kept deposits and final payments, from what I've read on-line in these boards. The best thing that you can do is check with your credit card co., either on-line or by phone, who your payments are being made to. I have always had my on-line credit card cruise purchases have the payments passed directly to the cruise line by all the on-line TAs. Usually, within a day or so, I check on-line and see if the charge has been made to the cruise line, not the TA.

I booked two last-minute cruises last year (a week or less before they sailed) and got decent cabins on both, though in general I didn't have a lot of choice. Now dining was a different issue because typically one of the slots would be full by the last week (when there are only main and late seating) and I'd get stuck with the least possible. However, for those last minute deals, I figure if I can get on the ship at a very low price, I don't care too much about the rest.

Archived