October Athens to Istanbul weather/tips

reenief

We did our first-ever cruise last September on Nautica Istanbul to Athens; a wonderful itinerary. The weather then was quite warm.

I highly recommend the Sirkeci Konak hotel in Istanbul, where we stayed for three nights prior to boarding Nautica. It's about two years old, but decorated in the old style, right by the tram line, also just a 10-minute walk to the major Sultanahmet sights, excellent breakfast, tea/lemonade and sandwiches every afternoon in the charming lobby lounge, spa facilities in the basement, where I had both a Turkish bath and aromatherapy massage, and the service is outstanding. It's been rated number one on sister website tripadvisor; check out the reviews. (If you book on-line and stay for at least three nights, you get free transportation to or from the airport, one dinner and a 7% discount when paying cash at check-out.)

If you can, leave yourself at least two full days to explore Istanbul; it's a wonderful city of major importance through many civilizations.

We did Venice to Istanbul at this time and had a great time. The weather was never that warm but it was comfortable. It was very cold the afternoon before we boarded in Venice with driving rain so I would recommend layering so u can handle anything! We swam at Rhodes so that was a warmer day.

We stayed at the Hotel Nena in Istanbul and found it worked very well for what we wanted.

We've done two Med cruises in October, and the weather varied. Some days were warm enough for shorts, short sleeved shirts, and sandals; some days we needed long pants, shoes & socks, a microfleece, and a rain jacket.

In Athens, we liked the hotel Athens Cypria--it was well located, the rooms were large, the bathrooms were modern, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the price was moderate.

We've done two Med cruises in October, and the weather varied. Some days were warm enough for shorts, short sleeved shirts, and sandals; some days we needed long pants, shoes & socks, a microfleece, and a rain jacket.

In Athens, we liked the hotel Athens Cypria--it was well located, the rooms were large, the bathrooms were modern, the front desk staff were friendly and helpful, and the price was moderate.

Great to read this post because I just booked the Cypria for our pre-cruise stay in early June.

Archived