NCL Color Schemes/Decor

hockeyken

:confused: Let me preface by saying that the wife and I are planning a 30th anniversary cruise to the eastern med. in Nov. 2010.......probably 12 days. I will admit I am leaning towards Celebrity at this point....but trying to keep an open mind, I will consider NCL. Have not cruised on NCL before.

Therefore my question: While perusing the NCL website, you cannot help but notice the decor/color schemes....lots of purple, with orange and lime green.....sometimes described as 70's acid flashback. For those who have actually cruised on these ships....is it really that bad "live and in person" or does it just seem more pronounced on the website? . I will be honest....I cannot look at the pictures on the website for more than 2 minutes without shuddering ( and yes, I agree, others may love it and each to his own tastes)......but is it bad live, or am I not getting a true picture from the limited visuals of the internet.

Overall I am a very easygoing/go-with-the flow person and can make the best of most situations.....am I worried about nothing?

Thanks to all who reply:D

It's true that NCL has vivid colors. But, I've never noticed it to be distracting at all. I've found that the orange, lime green, and purple were more in the Garden Villa (on the Dawn) than anywhere else. I feel the overall decor of the ship is very attractive and tasteful.

The photos seem much more vibrant than the ship (Gem, in my case). I liked that the fish on the carpet swim toward the front of the ship. It provided me and my family an easy way to get our bearings quickly. The only place I thought the colors were overwhelming was when sitting in The Blue Lagoon.

:confused: Let me preface by saying that the wife and I are planning a 30th anniversary cruise to the eastern med. in Nov. 2010.......probably 12 days. I will admit I am leaning towards Celebrity at this point....but trying to keep an open mind, I will consider NCL. Have not cruised on NCL before.

Therefore my question: While perusing the NCL website, you cannot help but notice the decor/color schemes....lots of purple, with orange and lime green.....sometimes described as 70's acid flashback. For those who have actually cruised on these ships....is it really that bad "live and in person" or does it just seem more pronounced on the website? . I will be honest....I cannot look at the pictures on the website for more than 2 minutes without shuddering ( and yes, I agree, others may love it and each to his own tastes)......but is it bad live, or am I not getting a true picture from the limited visuals of the internet.

Overall I am a very easygoing/go-with-the flow person and can make the best of most situations.....am I worried about nothing?

Thanks to all who reply:D

Depending on the ship, not 70s at all, colors yes, but still I never get the feeling of the 70s and the colors though looking it gaudy on line are really very vibrant and energitic. Let me put it this way, my DH isn't the guy with the ability to express himself or show a lot of emotion: when he first boarded the Jewel, out of his mouth came "WOW" he loved the colors and the ship.

I will add, though I feel most cruise lines are more alike than different, Celebrity and NCL are very different in some ways. I am not saying this to promote either line, just pointing out, you will get a totally different cruise experience on the two lines.

Nita

The rooms are colourful, but they are going with a tropical feel. (Not the 70's or the 80's pastel peach).

In Hawaii and the the Caribbean, the colours are vivid and vibrant, and I think these colours can be very uplifting and remind you that you are on vaction. ( I am glad that they got rid of the bright green "rope" bedding on the Star and Sun, though.)

I had the same impression as you when I first viewed the thumbnail pictures of the rooms - what odd color schemes! But having been on the Wind and the Spirit, once you're in the room, it doesn't even seem noteworthy. Maybe the colors jump out at you in the picture, but in the room, there's wood trim, windows, etc. that balance it out? Anyway, once you're on a cruise, it's certainly not a bother nor does it glare and give headaches!

I think you might be happier on Celebrity. While I have only cruised on NCL(see below) I can say that the colors on the ships are very vivid. We are looking forward to sailing on the Spirit because we've heard that the colors and the theme are more muted.

If the pictures bother you, you will probably not like being there. It is bright! It doesn't bother me so much but I can tell you probably wouldn't like it, just my opinion.

Whatever you choose, you will love the Med. It is beautiful!:)

:)

Many thanks to all who were kind enough to reply. It seems that in reality the thumbnail pictures are worse than the actual physical event.

Perhaps I should take a NCL cruise, do some martini bar attitude adjustment, and see for myself.

Ken

The rooms are colourful, but they are going with a tropical feel. (Not the 70's or the 80's pastel peach).

In Hawaii and the the Caribbean, the colours are vivid and vibrant, and I think these colours can be very uplifting and remind you that you are on vaction. ( I am glad that they got rid of the bright green "rope" bedding on the Star and Sun, though.)

you mean you didn't like those old spreads in the cabins on the Star and Sun? I can't understand why..??? LOL

I was so glad to see them gone, especially after they started fading..

Nita

Have been on 7 NCL cruises...like NCL a lot.

Worst colors that I have seen are on the Gem...I had been warned by my TA how awful the colors were and he was right. Atrium was purple, hot pink, and kelly green..god awful. However other parts of the ship were fine. Gem would be my least favorite NCL ship. Spirit very pretty and tranquil...has an Asian decor. Just got off the Pearl. Has same layout as Gem but colors are more muted....much better. Dawn is fine...like this ship a lot.

Have done Celebrity and HAL...like both these lines.

Experience NCL...I keep coming back!

I'd have been a Celebrity cheerleader and advised that you would like the subdued decor on their ships. I, too, do not like gaudy (would not sail Carnival for this reason: the photos look garish) but Dawn was not harmful to the eye!

Also I would have, prior to last week, extolled the wonderful food on X as opposed to my one previous NCl experience on Majesty. Dawn had wonderful food, consistently, regardless of the restaurant. And although I only went to one specialty restaurant, Impressions for Italian and lobster ravioli, they are THERE if you are impatient to get into a restaurant. (meaning if there is a small line or are told to put your name on a list and return in half an hour) you can always go to a specialty restaurant if they have room).

Although you can request a table for two (or the number in your party) on Celebrity, and even GET it, on NCL there is not a shortage of tables for two. And Celebrity ships have only one specialty restaurant (except Mercury which has none), although the M class ships also have the Aqua Spa healthy food.

I also had thought there was no classical music on NCL, but did hear a pianist, and noted his name so I could return another time. However, there were no string quartets or enrichment lectures about the ports or culture of the people who live in the ports. Celebrity will have some of that, or at least some lectures on nature if you are in Alaska.

As Newmexiconita said, there are differences, but now I would not hesitate to book NCL. I initially booked with them so my husband would go with me. Dressing up is anathema to him. On NCL he says, which polo shirt and slacks should I wear tonight? No dread whatsoever!

So, confidently, choose the best itinerary for what you want to see, and be happy with either line.

I am SO glad there is a line out there for everyone. One of the things we love most about NCL (and like least about the Princess ships we've been on) is the decor. We absolutely love the bright, bold colors and the style of furniture on NCL's ships, particularly the Star, Pearl and Jewel. I have so many photos of NCL carpet (I kid you not). It's all great!

I am SO glad there is a line out there for everyone. One of the things we love most about NCL (and like least about the Princess ships we've been on) is the decor. We absolutely love the bright, bold colors and the style of furniture on NCL's ships, particularly the Star, Pearl and Jewel. I have so many photos of NCL carpet (I kid you not). It's all great!

We love the "fish swim forward" approach on the Jewel.

And for you, Flashdog, I am glad you enjoyed your cruise. It is always nice to see someone converted or at least partly converted. So often, all of us (certainly me) get an idea in our head and just can't get past it..

Nita

We love the "fish swim forward" approach on the Jewel.

I looked for them on Dawn, but they went both ways!

And for you, Flashdog, I am glad you enjoyed your cruise. It is always nice to see someone converted or at least partly converted. So often, all of us (certainly me) get an idea in our head and just can't get past it. Nita

Thanks,Nita. Yes, I'm converted! I'm a real foodie and NCL made the grade this time around!

One thing to seriously consider when doing a port-intensive itinerary like the Med, is dining options. Celebrity is traditional with two set dining times. Specialty restaurants are available depending upon the ship. Now I haven't heard about Solstice, but none of the other Celebrity ships have an evening buffet. So other than room service, the pool grill, the pasta/ station, the dining room and the extra charge restaurants are it. While on the other hand, NCL is full of options for great food (don't get me wrong - I love Celebrity's food, especially in the dining room) and you can decide when and where. I would definitely consider lines with more flexible dining options when doing a cruise with lots of ports or being in port into the evening times.

While I haven't been lucky enough to go on a cruise in the Med, I would equate those to Alaskan cruises a little - it's more about the itinerary than the decor of the ship. I place more importance on the ship in places like the Caribbean.

While I haven't been lucky enough to go on a cruise in the Med, I would equate those to Alaskan cruises a little - it's more about the itinerary than the decor of the ship. I place more importance on the ship in places like the Caribbean.

Couldn't agree more. The dining flexibility on NCL--both in terms of YOUR choosing the time and the variety of cuisines offered--is much better suited to a port-intensive itinerary than is traditional dining. Why have to come back to the ship for a 6:00 dinner when you can stay later in Rome or Alexandria or the like?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been in a BA Cabin on the Star? I seen the pictures on the travel websites and on NCL website and they don't look to bad. I did an internet search for the cabin we have booked for next October cabin 10620 and someone took pictures of that cabin on their trip and the pictures looked terrible. Looked like blue carpet, green bedspread and and gold couch. It almost looked like the interior decorater must have been color blind. Do they really look that bad? Guess it didn't help in the picture I seen the room was a mess and a man was sitting on the couch. Hopefully the man is gone when we get there LOL. Does anyone have any pictures of a BA on the Star that they could post or know where I can see some actual pictures not the travel website ones?

I'd have been a Celebrity cheerleader and advised that you would like the subdued decor on their ships. I, too, do not like gaudy (would not sail Carnival for this reason: the photos look garish) but Dawn was not harmful to the eye!

Also I would have, prior to last week, extolled the wonderful food on X as opposed to my one previous NCl experience on Majesty. Dawn had wonderful food, consistently, regardless of the restaurant. And although I only went to one specialty restaurant, Impressions for Italian and lobster ravioli, they are THERE if you are impatient to get into a restaurant. (meaning if there is a small line or are told to put your name on a list and return in half an hour) you can always go to a specialty restaurant if they have room).

Although you can request a table for two (or the number in your party) on Celebrity, and even GET it, on NCL there is not a shortage of tables for two. And Celebrity ships have only one specialty restaurant (except Mercury which has none), although the M class ships also have the Aqua Spa healthy food.

I also had thought there was no classical music on NCL, but did hear a pianist, and noted his name so I could return another time. However, there were no string quartets or enrichment lectures about the ports or culture of the people who live in the ports. Celebrity will have some of that, or at least some lectures on nature if you are in Alaska.

As Newmexiconita said, there are differences, but now I would not hesitate to book NCL. I initially booked with them so my husband would go with me. Dressing up is anathema to him. On NCL he says, which polo shirt and slacks should I wear tonight? No dread whatsoever!

So, confidently, choose the best itinerary for what you want to see, and be happy with either line.

nice post!! :)

Just before I read this post, I was remembering that I photographed many of the carpet patterns on the Pearl! My husband thought I was nuts--but they were just so vibrant and made me smile!

Has anyone been in a BA Cabin on the Star? I seen the pictures on the travel websites and on NCL website and they don't look to bad. I did an internet search for the cabin we have booked for next October cabin 10620 and someone took pictures of that cabin on their trip and the pictures looked terrible. Looked like blue carpet, green bedspread and and gold couch. It almost looked like the interior decorater must have been color blind. Do they really look that bad? Guess it didn't help in the picture I seen the room was a mess and a man was sitting on the couch. Hopefully the man is gone when we get there LOL. Does anyone have any pictures of a BA on the Star that they could post or know where I can see some actual pictures not the travel website ones?

The green bedspreads are gone now and the beds have nice new white duvets. So, they are not bad. There is nice cherry wood on all the closets and millwork and the walls are neutral.

Worst colors that I have seen are on the Gem...I had been warned by my TA how awful the colors were and he was right. Atrium was purple, hot pink, and kelly green..god awful.

hmmmm? Would these be the vivid rich "gem" or jewel colours? Go figure? ;-)

Archived