IOS Transatlantic passenger mix

Bxc53

Longer cruises typically attract those who can get away from work (or who don't work), and can afford a more expensive vacation. So that means lots of retirees or older people (i.e., over 40), and few kids.

We did a TA last spring on Celebrity and the average age was probably 60+. There were a handful of teens (and by that I mean maybe a dozen), and practically no children or toddlers.

We were on the Nov 2008 Indy TA. Our observations on the passenger mix.

---50% British, all different accents. Lots of British food in the WJ.

---Less then 100 kids, the H20 pool was filled with adults.

---Lots of trivia, some 100% British TV, sports, etc.

---The theater, for early seating, was packed. Almost as bad as Princess with their too-small theaters, had to get there early.

---British themed promenade parties, such as the 80's British invasion.

And so on..........

We loved the trip.

We, over-40 *older people* like the Flowrider, too!!! :p

No doubt! ;) I'm a young at heart Fifty(mumble) myself..I was referring to the low numbers of under 21 pax. On that note how full was the ship?

No doubt! ;) I'm a young at heart Fifty(mumble) myself..I was referring to the low numbers of under 21 pax. On that note how full was the ship?

My comment was more of a smart aleck response to Water.Baby's comment about over-40s being "older people." It's amazing how young 60 is, as I approach that number ... ;):p

My TA isn't for another 70 days, so I can't address your question. However, it is still in "green status" on the travel agent website. That generally means "wide open." It'll be interesting to see if there is a big difference in pax numbers/demographics between the April Eastbound over the November Westbound transits ... :rolleyes:

My comment was more of a smart aleck response to Water.Baby's comment about over-40s being "older people." It's amazing how young 60 is, as I approach that number ... ;):p

Since I'm over 40 myself, I think I'm okay in calling myself an "older" person. I've called myself older since I hit 25!!! ;)

Honestly, I'd rather be called older than middle aged.

We are booked on the IoS Westbound transatlantic in November. We're wondering what to expect for the passenger mix. Any Thoughts?

We are on your cruise. Please join the roll call as we are a friendly bunch. This will be our fifth transatlantic and there are usually very few children on transatlantics in general. They are in school during the spring and fall when transatlantics are offered. I have seen some very young infants and toddlers on past transatlantics, though. Personally, I think it would be a wonderful experience for school age children, but I am not sure the schools would approve. As other posters have mentioned, there are a good mix of nationalities as well, which makes for an interesting cruise.

We were on the Nov 2008 Indy TA. Our observations on the passenger mix.

---50% British, all different accents. Lots of British food in the WJ.

---Less then 100 kids, the H20 pool was filled with adults.

---Lots of trivia, some 100% British TV, sports, etc.

---The theater, for early seating, was packed. Almost as bad as Princess with their too-small theaters, had to get there early.

---British themed promenade parties, such as the 80's British invasion.

And so on..........

We loved the trip.

My husband will need to watch out if that is the case in April...I will great enjoyment at "attacking" him with water.

There were 4,000 on the ship but it never seemed crowded.

My husband will need to watch out if that is the case in April...I will great enjoyment at "attacking" him with water.
Watch out for the two water cannons !

I hate to burst your bubble, BUT transatlantic in November = usually cold :( So true, you will be leaving at the end of November, we left Nov 6. And, we aimed at St. Martin, this year the ship is headed towards the Bahamas so it will not get onto warmer waters at all, probably never get lower than Florida.

But have a great time :):)

The pools on the ship are freshwater and heated.

I hate to burst your bubble, BUT transatlantic in November = usually cold :(

But have a great time :):)

On our westbound transatlantic in December of 2007 from Barcelona, as we sailed past Madeira, the weather was quite warm and the pools were packed. We had brought winter clothes, unfortunately. Ended up buying a bunch of those 2 for $10 t-shirts on clearance on the ship.

Hi - I am Mary from the TA thread in April. I have been keeping a list of those on cruise critic that are with us in April - but on my old list I inheirited it said Hazeleyes. No wonder I couldn't find you anywhere ont he boards!!

Would you all like me to add you to our CC group for this great TA cruise? We have lots of fun activities planned. Just send me an e-mail if you have any questions and let me know!! Looking forward to meeting everyone! Mary

mlacey2@sbcglobal.net

We were on the Indy TA this past November, and after about 4 days of cool, the weather became increasingly warm, and we got in plenty of swimming. If you are ever planning on using the flowrider, do it, you may never see such short lines again.

As for the "mix", sailing with the UK crowd was absolutely great, polite yet know how to have fun - so much that we've booked 2 more to/from England for this year. We've done other TAs to/from mainland Europe and no comparison. This past TA we stayed on as a B2B while the ship picked up new passengers in Miami (for a 4 day). What a mistake - after all that civility it became pushing to get in the elevators, and smoke anywhere you feel like it.

DH and I were on the VOS in Dec. 07 from Barcelona to Galveston,Tx. and the weather was great. Cold in Barcelona, but next day was warm and stayed warm the entire crossing for five days and the seas were very calm. Maybe we just lucked out, but it was great.

Archived