Exit Glacier in Seward - worth the trip?

ShibaInuMom

Without a car, you can take a $10 shuttle through www.exitglacierguides.com and then walk yourself to the face of the glacier (about a mile with little evevation gain). Or the Seward Windsong Lodge offers guided tours from their lodge.

This is the only part of the Kenai Fjords National Park that can be driven to, or easily accessed by land. It's less than 10 miles from downtown Seward and I'd budget about 3 hours total.

For a lunch stop coming or going, the Seward Windsong Lodge is a decent choice with pizzas and beer.

Don't forget to work in time at the Alaska SeaLife Center if possible.

Exit glacier is well worth the trip. An easy 15 minute walk and you are at the face of the glacier and can get great pictures. If you want, there are other trails that you can follow up the side of the glacier that are more strenuous. We saw a couple of bears on the way. We enjoyed the time spent there.

As noted on other threads, my husband and I will be on board the Pacific Princess leaving Seattle on 6/12/09. We are now asking about the Best of Seward excursion that visits Exit Glacier. Any opinions?

One way to get out to Exit Glacier is to contact PJ's Taxi. Renee will take you on a great tour around Seward; taking you out to the Glacier and go anywhere else you want to go. We visited Seward the day before our Southbound cruise last August and she gave a wonderful glimpse of the history and life in Seward, taking us all over including berry picking! I just went to the Princess web site and the tour thru them in my opinion is way over priced at $64pp. I can't remember the exact price, but it sure won't cost you that much!

I just checked the contact information and they are closed for the winter but will be opening back up in the spring. In the meantime you can get more info at: pjstaxi dot com.

Enjoy Seward, it's such a great little town and offers so many options! Sure wish I was going back this summer!

As noted on other threads, my husband and I will be on board the Pacific Princess leaving Seattle on 6/12/09. We are now asking about the Best of Seward excursion that visits Exit Glacier. Any opinions?

This is a poor tour choice. It's probably grossly overpriced and Exit Glacier is simple to just get to on your own. What is the rest of the "tour"??? Seward is a gem and offers plenty of stuff to see and do. http://www.seward.com

• 1 month later...

The Seward Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise is now available for booking on the Princess Personalizer. The tour departs at 10:30 AM, returns at 5:30 offers looks like the best wildlife viewing from Seward.

The Princess excursion costs $20 more than the same excursion booked directly with the tour company. Although you can book this tour privately, when I contacted both Kenai Fjords Tours and Renown Tours, they both said they do NOT recommend taking their tour because they cannot guarantee getting us back by 5:30 (when the all-aboard is given). With the Princess excursion, you don't have to worry about being left behind. I guess $20 is worth some peace of mind.

I would highly recommend the above excursion to Kenai Fjords NP now that it is available for this cruise. One of the highlights of my first trip to Alaska. I just booked it with Princess this morning for my upcoming cruise.

I don't think it is even a full $20 more because I think you have to add tax to the $139 independent price.

Archived