Car Rental ?

Wakkyj

Will be in GC March 4 and thought we would rent a car and go to Rum Point. We spend a week in GC a couple years ago and on that trip we rented a car for the week and thought it was a great way to get around.

Is there a car rental agency at or very near (ie walking distance) from the pier? Or will I have to take a cab/transfer to get to the rental agency?

Also, we've been thinking of using Budget this time around as they have a rate that includes everything including fuel for $75 which seems reasonable - does anyone have any experience with them?

We're considering doing the same thing (car rental; beach day at Rum Point). Since you've been to GC before, do you know if there is ample parking available at Rum Point; and how crowded it tends to get?

There is a parking lot at Rum Point, but it can fill up quickly during peak times. Weekends, the parking lot is full and people are parked all along the road in each direction and at the edges of the vacant lot across the street. During the week, it's not quite as busy, but you may still end up on the street rather than in the lot.

It's about 45 minutes from the airport to Rum Point...a bit longer during rush hour maybe...a lot longer if you miss the turn onto Frank Sound Road. :D The drive back to the airport from Rum Point is easier, though, because the turns are more obvious in that direction (or at least that's been my experience).

My recommendation would be to allow yourself an hour, plus extra time for checking the car back in and then catching a taxi or shuttle to the pier...say an hour and a half to two hours? Depends on your comfort level, I guess and how much before the last tender you want to be in the tender lines... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived