LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

Ahhh, yes, I know that area quite well. I lived in PP for years since coming back from college and took River Rd. to 70/34/GSP every day while traveling to my office in South Plainfield. We've traded places now. :D

I don't know where you moved down from, but you have to admit... I don't know if any/many places have traffic worse than Brick on a Saturday morning! That is the ONE thing I don't miss for sure!!

We try to avoid the mess and take Sally Ike Road into Wall. We love the water and it still beats living in Middlesex County :) I guess Brick was a different place in the 70's & 80's ??

We try to avoid the mess and take Sally Ike Road into Wall. We love the water and it still beats living in Middlesex County :) I guess Brick was a different place in the 70's & 80's ??

It exploded during that span. Early 70s it was nothing like today. By the late 80s the Brick we all know and love today had blossomed into all its traffic glory. Yeah, I loved the beach as a kid/teen, but lost my love as the crowds got huge later. Living in PP we would just hunker down in our backyard by the pool on weekends. So now it doesn't really make much of a difference to me.

Well, you're in my old stomping grounds then. I'm a '79 grad of Brick High and lived in that area (Brick and Point Pleasant) most of my life except for college years and since I moved in with my GF in Wayne a couple years ago. I actually was living right off of Mantoloking Road for about a year... not too far from Hooper Ave. You must be in that area... or on the barrier island side, which is very nice if so!

Ahhh, yes, I know that area quite well. I lived in PP for years since coming back from college and took River Rd. to 70/34/GSP every day while traveling to my office in South Plainfield. We've traded places now. :D

It exploded during that span. Early 70s it was nothing like today. By the late 80s the Brick we all know and love today had blossomed into all its traffic glory. Yeah, I loved the beach as a kid/teen, but lost my love as the crowds got huge later. Living in PP we would just hunker down in our backyard by the pool on weekends. So now it doesn't really make much of a difference to me.

You know you guys are really something else....You are making me feel so old....Nothing like driving "down the shore" in my late teens and early 20's..if only I looked like that now....I remember the days I didn't even want to drink a glass of water for fear it would bloat my stomach...and oh, that couldn't happen while wearing a bikini. LOL.

Do either of you know anyone named Raab from Brick - either Donald or Robert or Chuck

Peggy

I do not. But then again, the Brick/Point Pleasant/Point Pleasant Beach area must be at or above 100k in population now, so it isn't like the old days when everyone knew everyone.

I don't know him, but is the middle guy really named Rob Raab? I would remember that for sure.

Are they announcing when they plan to fix the broken propellar?

I heard that props can usually be fixed while in a port. Is that true, or would she have to be in dry dock?

I sailed on the Carribean Princess in July, 08 and she was down a generator. The ports times were affected by several hours. My stateroom was very warm because the AC was not working up to full par. Some public areas of the ship were actually uncomfortably warm. The ship continued to sail until it drydocked in the late fall.

Im sure fixing a prop is easier than replacing a generator.

Any updates is appreciated.

Are they announcing when they plan to fix the broken propellar?

I heard that props can usually be fixed while in a port. Is that true, or would she have to be in dry dock?

I sailed on the Carribean Princess in July, 08 and she was down a generator. The ports times were affected by several hours. My stateroom was very warm because the AC was not working up to full par. Some public areas of the ship were actually uncomfortably warm. The ship continued to sail until it drydocked in the late fall.

Im sure fixing a prop is easier than replacing a generator.

Any updates is appreciated.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Trying to fix something that weighs thousands of pounds and is located approx 30 feet under water is no piece of cake.

Just returned and someone on our cruise was told by the Captin the prop cant be properly balanced in the water and it will be done in drydock.

I was that "someone"! I had a very nice talk with the captain during the Crown and Anchor cocktail reception on day 3. I mentioned in a previous post that Capt. Ryan is a very nice man, who is willing to take the time to talk to the passengers and patiently answer all their questions. My friend and I asked him several direct questions about the propeller; what happened, what was done and what still has to be done.

He told us the prop couldn't be completely replaced because it has to be properly balanced, which is no easy task underwater. I was on the last sailing (2/13/09). On the 2/1 sailing, they had an extended stay in St. Thomas to do the repair work. According to the captain, they cut down the propeller to get rid of the damaged parts. They used some very sophisticated equipment to balance it as well as they could underwater. He said it runs, but at a reduced speed. He assured me they will not be taking the ship out of service any earlier than their scheduled dry dock time of January, 2010. At that point the prop will be completely replaced, along with other needed repairs. Until then, it will sail on the modified itinerary we experienced. Because it can't go more than about 20 knots, rather than the usual 24, when heading to and from Cape Liberty, they need the extra few hours. So they cut the time down in San Juan. We were there from 6am until 11am and departed port a little after 11:30am. To me, it was a wasted port, since most stores don't open before 9am. So to have a port of call where you basically leave the ship for 2 hours or less, is a wasted of time. Though my son had a blast exploring the fortress that was walking distance from the ship and I got some great pictures.

So that's the story, right from the horses mouth, so to speak. Capt. Ryan is a wealth of information. Did you know Explorer uses approx. 290,000 gallons of diesel fuel per day at sea? And they have enough fuel on board for 2 sailings before needing to refuel? And when they do refuel, it's at a refueling station in the Caribbean and he said it takes about 7 hours to fill the tanks to 3/4 full. Pretty interesting stuff, huh?

Proof that if you want to find out anything important about the ship, talk to the guy who's running it! ;)

I was that "someone"! I had a very nice talk with the captain during the Crown and Anchor cocktail reception on day 3. I mentioned in a previous post that Capt. Ryan is a very nice man, who is willing to take the time to talk to the passengers and patiently answer all their questions. My friend and I asked him several direct questions about the propeller; what happened, what was done and what still has to be done.

He told us the prop couldn't be completely replaced because it has to be properly balanced, which is no easy task underwater. I was on the last sailing (2/13/09). On the 2/1 sailing, they had an extended stay in St. Thomas to do the repair work. According to the captain, they cut down the propeller to get rid of the damaged parts. They used some very sophisticated equipment to balance it as well as they could underwater. He said it runs, but at a reduced speed. He assured me they will not be taking the ship out of service any earlier than their scheduled dry dock time of January, 2010. At that point the prop will be completely replaced, along with other needed repairs. Until then, it will sail on the modified itinerary we experienced. Because it can't go more than about 20 knots, rather than the usual 24, when heading to and from Cape Liberty, they need the extra few hours. So they cut the time down in San Juan. We were there from 6am until 11am and departed port a little after 11:30am. To me, it was a wasted port, since most stores don't open before 9am. So to have a port of call where you basically leave the ship for 2 hours or less, is a wasted of time. Though my son had a blast exploring the fortress that was walking distance from the ship and I got some great pictures.

So that's the story, right from the horses mouth, so to speak. Capt. Ryan is a wealth of information. Did you know Explorer uses approx. 290,000 gallons of diesel fuel per day at sea? And they have enough fuel on board for 2 sailings before needing to refuel? And when they do refuel, it's at a refueling station in the Caribbean and he said it takes about 7 hours to fill the tanks to 3/4 full. Pretty interesting stuff, huh?

Proof that if you want to find out anything important about the ship, talk to the guy who's running it! ;)

Thanks for posting that information. Someone had previously posted that it cost them over a million dollars to fill the tanks, now this explains why. :D

I would love to see the pictures of the fort if you have them uploaded somewhere. We are hoping to get to San Juan before everything closes.

thanks photoshopman. finally some sort of answers. although it's a shame about the reduced ports. Cruisinkat - i'm guessing that labadee will be affected as well since it's on the way out - and since from NJ to caribbean they need an extra couple of hours, we would land in labadee a few hours late. that's a shame cuase it's a beautiful island it's a great relaxing day. guess we won't get there till 11am or noon. :(

Is it only Puerto Rico that's being effected, or are they cutting down on port time in any of the other ports. We're scheduled to sail 4/5-4/17.

I don't know what they're doing with the 12 day cruises. I was on the 9 day and we were handed a flyer as we went in to register. the flyer showed the modified itinerary and the only 2 changes I could see were an extended stay in St. Thomas, where we departed at 8pm instead of the scheduled 6pm, and the early departure from San Juan of 11am instead of 2pm. Whether the extended stay in St. Thomas is going to be like that every 9 day sailing is anybody's guess right now. Perhaps they wanted to check the propeller and make minor adjustments? My feeling is, we'll know more when pax from the current 12 day sailing and the next 9 day sailing report in.

I don't know what they're doing with the 12 day cruises. I was on the 9 day and we were handed a flyer as we went in to register. the flyer showed the modified itinerary and the only 2 changes I could see were an extended stay in St. Thomas, where we departed at 8pm instead of the scheduled 6pm, and the early departure from San Juan of 11am instead of 2pm. Whether the extended stay in St. Thomas is going to be like that every 9 day sailing is anybody's guess right now. Perhaps they wanted to check the propeller and make minor adjustments? My feeling is, we'll know more when pax from the current 12 day sailing and the next 9 day sailing report in.

Many (most?) of the 12 night cruises have already lost Tortola off the back end of the trip, so they only potential problem is on the way down getting to San Juan in time since there is an extra day to get back. Perhaps those on board now will give us an update as to what time they get into San Juan tomorrow. I'm hoping they also extend St. Thomas on the 12 night... that would work for me!!

Thank you so much for the info!!!!

We are on the next 9 day sailing and from the sounds of things, our last day in port, Labadee, will be cut short by a few hours.

That is dissappointing.:( That is one of my favourite stops and yes, so far I have made it there both times I was supposed to. :p

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

thanks photoshopman. finally some sort of answers.

Really? Based on other reports on this thread we've known all of this for a while now. I suppose it sounds better coming from the man running the ship, but it isn't new news... just confirmation of old news.

And I will add that what the Captain told photoshopman is what Customer Relations SHOULD be telling everyone.

Really? Based on other reports on this thread we've known all of this for a while now. I suppose it sounds better coming from the man running the ship, but it isn't new news... just confirmation of old news.

And I will add that what the Captain told photoshopman is what Customer Relations SHOULD be telling everyone.

It may be old news to you, but I was on the ship enjoying a cruise for 9 days and didn't take the time to post during that time. So if my report had a 10 day delay, sorry. It was news to me. And as you said, coming from the captain made the information more credible than getting it from the waiter or bartender.

But I will agree with you wholeheartedly that this information should be in the hands of customer service. They are way to secretive with their info.

Just in case anyone is interested, while sitting and having lunch in the Windjammer, I happened to have my camera with me and took pictures of the wake coming from the propellers from the back of the ship. I was a little off-center from where I was sitting. You can see the pole sticking out on the left side of the picture that is at the very center of the back of the ship.

I'm sure any experts out there can look and tell right away how the propellers are doing.

Hope this helps! :D

Propellerwake.jpg.01c6d2c774e5057ac7387afab76fc930.jpg

It may be old news to you, but I was on the ship enjoying a cruise for 9 days and didn't take the time to post during that time. So if my report had a 10 day delay, sorry. It was news to me. And as you said, coming from the captain made the information more credible than getting it from the waiter or bartender.

But I will agree with you wholeheartedly that this information should be in the hands of customer service. They are way to secretive with their info.

Oh, don't get me wrong... I'm glad you posted... thank you. We had heard most of this info from other passengers that witnessed them cutting pieces off the props and we were aware of the slower sailing speed and all. Always best coming straight from the head honcho though!! :D

Just in case anyone is interested, while sitting and having lunch in the Windjammer, I happened to have my camera with me and took pictures of the wake coming from the propellers from the back of the ship. I was a little off-center from where I was sitting. You can see the pole sticking out on the left side of the picture that is at the very center of the back of the ship.

I'm sure any experts out there can look and tell right away how the propellers are doing.

Hope this helps! :D

Yeah, the starboard side of that wake doesn't look right,like you said only one side is going full. I bet they have to over steer the ship one way to keep it going straight.

I guess when the 5 day Bermuda sailings start in the spring they just switch the itinerary to Baltimore and Norfolk.:eek::eek: I suppose they wouldn't mention that either until you get to the pier in Bayonne.

Wonder what happens if that prop breaks too?

Archived