Motion sickness advice

Slong

We are booked on the Oceania Regatta Stockholm to London cruise August 8, 2009 in cabin 4042. We have never been on a cruise before and need some advice about motion sickness since my husband has experienced it in very small boats. Will he have a problem on this ship? What should he do? Thanks for your advice. We are really looking forward to this cruise so I hope he won't have problems.

Well, you already made a great decision by booking a cabin mid-ship. I also was concerned on my first-ever cruise last September because I had some issues for three hours in the North Sea on an overnight ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo in summer 2007. And my husband wanted a 12-night cruise for our first-ever! What if I was sick the whole time? (He also made sure to book a mid-ship cabin.)

I talked to many people about my motion sickness concerns, and was advised by many to take Bonine (and ginger tablets with me) just in case and/or wear wrist bands. I chose not to wear wristbands because I did not want to take actions or medications unless absolutely needed. Also, was told by many to stay on deck in the fresh air if I felt queasy. On my 12-night cruise, I only had two instances: (1) I had a slight queasiness feeling the first night after returning to the cabin after sail-away (so I immediately popped a Bonine pill because I wasn't planning to stay on deck all night!) and (2) more seriously, one morning when we were diverted from Delos/Mykonos due to rough seas I felt pretty unwell. That morning, I did feel worse when I stayed in the cabin, so I went outside and sat in a chaise on the pool deck most of the time, which seemed to work great.

BTW, I also hated the vibrations in the stern when the ship was underway (at least on Deck Five where the Grand Dining Room is located), so I made sure not to sit way in the back of the Grand Dining Room at dinner. The evening they gave us a great table right by the stern windows, I had to ask to be moved because the vibrations were getting to me. The lady in charge of seating in the GDR remembered me for that the entire rest of the trip!

Good luck!

I agree exactly with CintiPam's advice. Bonine works great, but I don't take it all the time, just when I get nervous about needing it. That's usually the first couple of days of the cruise. Some others insist on taking it from day one, before boarding, but I've never felt the need--I usually get my sea legs within a day or two and after that have no problem. Exception is if you know you're going to hit some heavy weather, then take one as a preventative.

And I had a history of awful motion sickness, on ferries, sailboats, airplanes, cars, carnival rides...

I swear by bonine -- always take one the first night no matter what as that is when the body (and inner ear) start to acclimate. It is best to take the bonine before you start to feel ill as that is when it is most effective. Part of the trick is to learn how much motion you can tolerate and be aware of the early signs of discomfort. Your body will actually adjust to the motion as the cruise progresses. I used to need medication all of the time at sea -- on our recent 65 day cruise I used about 8 bonine tablets during the whole trip -- first night and a few times when the Poseiden stirred the pot.

As mentioned earlier, there is not only a vibration from the motors at the stern of most ships but in seas there can be a bit of a "waggle" at the stern. Ship's motion is also exagerated at the bow and that is magnified the higher up you go -- so those wonderful panoramic lounges at the top of ships may not be the place to spend lots of time in heavy seas if you are sensitive.

Though benadryl may also work, it sure makes me sleepy -- old fashioned drammamine also has that side effect. The newer products that contain meclazine like bonine and drammamine 2 have much less of the drowsy side effects for me.

Both Bonine (meclazine hydrochloride) and Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) are good. Besides those, lie in bed and try to sleep. If you are asleep, you won't feel it, unless the motion is so strong as to throw you off bed, which has not happened to us yet.

I have also had trouble with seasickness. I believe that you can get free samples of meclizine on board. This has always worked for me. By the way, and a bit off topic, there is a cruise critic roll call for this cruise. My husband and I, as well as my brother and his wife are on this cruise. It really sounds like an amazing itinerary. Please think about joining the roll call.

Crusingsfun

I get motion sickness on just about everything. Ginger makes me nauseous. Bonine, Dramamine and Benadryl act like a sleeping pill on me. I usually use a scopolamine patch when cruising, but don't advise others to use them because they have a ton of side effects.

What I have found most effective with the fewest number of side effects is the Relief Band. It looks like a watch, has a battery and zaps you with a small electrical charge which takes away the nausea, headache, etc. What is so good about this device is --- you can put it on and use it AFTER you start feeling bad. Just crank up the setting until you start to feel relief.

Sea Bands, Bonine and Dramamine need to be used prior to getting "that" feeling.

The Relief Band is a little pricey. I just checked Drugstore.com and it is currently selling at $129.99 but it has saved me on planes, in cars, on trains and on cruise ships when I forgot to change the patch.

We are booked on the Oceania Regatta Stockholm to London cruise August 8, 2009 in cabin 4042. We have never been on a cruise before and need some advice about motion sickness since my husband has experienced it in very small boats. Will he have a problem on this ship? What should he do? Thanks for your advice. We are really looking forward to this cruise so I hope he won't have problems.

The cruise you have chosen sails the Baltic which is well known as often being as smooth as glass. There may be some choppy water as you cross over to Dover, but that is something that is never "guaranteed".

Also your choice of 4042 has you near midships and low in the ship which is the most stable part of any Oceania vessel.

While all of the above suggestions are good and quite valid, I would recommend that your husband talk to your doctor and follow his advice. Some of the scopolamine (i.e. Transdermin Scop) patches have a tendency to produce dizziness and other symptoms which you doctor can advise you on...

Have a great cruise!

I am a Hypnotherapist and have successfully eliminated motion/sea sickness in many people without resorting to drugs etc. It can be achieved in about 15 mins and is very effective. I will be sailing on QM2 on 8th April 2009 and Celeb Constellation on 17th April 2009. I would willingly help anyone on these cruises (free of charge!! lol) if required.

Quite a lot of people find Sturgeron, which contains cinazarrine, better than Bonine. They are not for sale in the US, but for anyone starts their cruise in Europe, you should be able to get them. Apparently they are used by the British Navy.

Archived