Family Vacation with kids, would you do a Cruise or All Inclusive?

kandlwed

We are planning a trip next January (Chirstmas present for our kids). We are thinking cruise, because the kids have been on one before and loved it. But, now I am wondering if an All Inclusive would be better? We have 5 kids ranging from 8-21.

Thank you! :)

A cruise is usually cheaper, if thats a consideration. Probably depends on where you live though and airfare (we can drive to Galveston). What we prefer about a cruise is it is easy to stop by the cabin in between stuff, more so than your hotel room. A active family this might not be a consideration.

We prefer cruises, they just are cheaper. We just returned from a 5 night on the Destiny. We had a balcony room and the total was $1500 for the 4 of us. That was food and lodging, you cannot get that in Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, and FL. :) Plus my kids went to the Camp Carnival too! We have done short land vacations to Disney and when you add up the dinners, hotel, park entrance fees, etc..it is way more expensive. On a cruise there is so much to do for all ages and I just think a better deal.

The Splendor will be a bit more expensive since it is the "newest" ship in the fleet.

If cost is not a factor....I would look at the fact that everyone can "do their own thing" in a controlled environment...so you won't worry about them as much.

When airfare was cheap, the cost was about the same. Now I think Cruises are generally less.

Also, when the kids were younger, the beach would have been enough for them. Now I'd be alot more worried that my 16 yo would get into the booze with the AI.

All in all, I'd rather leave the teens at home and take my wife on a nicer vacation. But if I was being forced to take them, I'd do a Cruise with as few Sea Days as possible.

We are planning a trip next January (Chirstmas present for our kids). We are thinking cruise, because the kids have been on one before and loved it. But, now I am wondering if an All Inclusive would be better? We have 5 kids ranging from 8-21.

Our family prefers cruises because there is something for everyone and more bang for your buck.

I personally think that there are more activities and much more to do in general on a cruise. I enjoyed the AI in Mexico, but found it to be a bit boring for the kids. There scheduled activities didnt really entice the kids to join in, the shows werent as good, and food wasnt as good, had a difficult time finding plain food for my picky eaters. I would definately pick a cruise.

For us it would be a cruise HANDS DOWN. My family loved cruising. Like another poster said, something for everyone and you get to see different places.

My kids are really MIFFED right now because hubby and I leave in 4 days to cruise, WITHOUT them. :p:D

I also think it would be a lot less to cruise than an all inclusive.

Good luck in your decision.

My recommendation is cruising - even more so with the diverse ages you're dealing with. The wonderful thing about cruising is that everyone can do the activities that they prefer and meet up for other ones. My sons were 11 and 14 on our first cruise. They loved the freedom that they had and everything to choose from... we always met up and went to dinner together and excursions in port together, but on the ship sometimes we did things together (ping pong was actually a huge hit with all of us) and sometimes we split up.

Everyone was happy!

With a cruise you are sure of the quality of the bedding, food, entertainment, and kids camp. With all inclusive, unless you book a 5 star resort, the quality will be questionable/hit and miss. Even with a 5 star, it may not be what you expect.

A 5 star in Grand Caymen will be a different quality level than a 5 star in the Dominican Republic.

I have not done an AI with my DD - but I have with just DH and myself. I would cruise with DD. We have done the Disney thing and liked it, but I much prefer a cruise over the AI's we have been too (Sandals).

It is not really about money - but as far as a value is concerned I think I got A LOT more for less money on the cruise. The only good thing about the AI was SCUBA was included.

I have done both AI and Cruises. IMHO a cruise has far more entertainment value than an AI. We always feel that an AI is a more intimate vacation with alcohol drinking a large part of the vacation ( now of course that is just us.....so please don't start "landbasting" me because I enjoy a day of Margarita drinking ;):D )

A cruise has the best of both worlds. Days on the beaches enjoying water sports and yet guaranteed entertainment in the evenings or during the day. Some AI resorts claim to have the entertainment, but then you go do join in and it is cancelled etc. This has happened to us on more than one occassion.

We have a 17 year old son, and we go cruising with him because we just know he would be bored at an AI, and we do not go to an AI to spend most of our week doing excursions! It is just a more laid back atmosphere at an All Incusive Resort!

Anyway, there you have it....decision made...now you can book your cruise! Ha,Ha....just KIDDING of course....whatever you decide it is always going to be as good as YOU make it!

Smiles,Connie

I also agree that a cruise is the better choice for a family. In addition to some of the other comments here regarding something for everyone, and possibly/probably a bit cheaper (depending on airfare needs), there are a few other things to consider. First, with most all-inclusives, anyone older than 13 is charged at an adult rate. These rates are basically structured that way in consideration of the alcoholic beverages. Paying the higher rates is fine if you're an adult, but it's kinda silly to charge the adult rate for kids. Also, if you have a good itinerary, the kids (and you) get to experience several different destinations and cultures, so it's a good learning experience. Just MHO....

Just back from an all inclusive in the Mayan in November. BORING! Go for the cruise!!

I think you made the right decision. I love AI's and if you choose well there are AI's with tons of activities like scuba, snorkeling, waterskiing etc. BUT overall with kids of varying ages a cruise is a much safer bet and probably a better value for a family.

Archived