Where to buy fur coat?

LadyBerard

I'd love to purchase a fur coat while on our cruise. I have read that they are much more reasonably priced in Alaska. I'm cruising in August on the Golden. Will be going to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria, BC. Can anyone tell me which port would be the best to buy a nice fur coat and which store?

Thanks.

I'd love to purchase a fur coat while on our cruise. I have read that they are much more reasonably priced in Alaska. I'm cruising in August on the Golden. Will be going to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria, BC. Can anyone tell me which port would be the best to buy a nice fur coat and which store?

Thanks.

Look at this thread

There are stores that sell furs in most of the ports but they will be overpriced there, as are most cruise-related "trinkets." The best place (where Alaskans buy their furs) is David Green in Anchorage.

And that is exactly where I bought mine last August on our cruise. Great service, wonderful warm coat! I love it and would definitely buy there again.

Anchorage or Seattle are the places to buy - and has been said, David Green in Anchorage is the big player in the quality part of the market.

Trapping and hunting are part of the lifestyle of thousands of Northerners, and a large percentage of us wear fur in some form. Perhaps those of you "holding your tongues" should stick to the Caribbean - unless you're vegetarians, you're hypocrites at best.

Well said--even "between the lines".

I too shall step aside on this one

:mad:

Perhaps she would like to trap or shoot her own animals and then skin them and dry the hides and sew them into a coat. That gives you a much more personal item and you can really see what goes into it!

Make sure you wear your wellies and full raingear though, as it is rather bloody!

I don't know why anyone should have a problem with what I posted. I did not attack anyone in any way.

What I stated is the truth about making furs. No one can deny that. If there is something wrong with that truth then perhaps those who object to it should look at what they are supporting. If they don't object to the truth of how furs are made, then they won't have trouble buying them, and many don't.

It's very simple really.

I have a personal opinion on this as I do on many issues. There are forums for debating issues and there are forums such as these for information sharing purposes where people should be allowed to ask legitimate questions without being subjected to judgment or personal attacks. If you have a problem with this thread it is easy to pass it by. There is no need to respond. Responses like many of the ones posted here are in clear violation of the board's policies and should be removed.

What are the costs, generally, for smaller things like a pair of fur gloves (I'd assumed they're just fur-lined?) or even some dog-hair woven gloves like I saw mentioned earlier. My hands are always cold and I'd like to have a piece of functional Alaska to bring home as a souvenir.

What are the costs, generally, for smaller things like a pair of fur gloves (I'd assumed they're just fur-lined?) or even some dog-hair woven gloves like I saw mentioned earlier. My hands are always cold and I'd like to have a piece of functional Alaska to bring home as a souvenir.

I purchased the dog hair knit gloves back in 2005 and I wear them just about every day this winter. They are very warm! I can't remember what they cost but I know they weren't cheap. $50 maybe?

As soon as I saw this thread I thought for sure that it would go ballistic almost immediately, as do most threads that question smoking, passenger rights, unruly children, etc. Surprisingly, however, it has remained almost civil. It's enough to make one wonder why some threads can stay at least partially on course whereas others fly off into the ether almost immediately.

Dog hair (Husky underwool is what's used here) is difficult to spin and knit with, which is why gloves and toques made with it are pricey (about $50 for a pair of gloves is right), but they are incredibly warm. Huskies don't smell like wet dog when they get wet and very few people are allergic to them, as well. The fur shop in Skagway on Broadway is one of the best places to buy because many of the people who do spin and knit with it are in this area.

Murray

Dog hair (Husky underwool is what's used here) is difficult to spin and knit with, which is why gloves and toques made with it are pricey (about $50 for a pair of gloves is right), but they are incredibly warm. Huskies don't smell like wet dog when they get wet and very few people are allergic to them, as well. The fur shop in Skagway on Broadway is one of the best places to buy because many of the people who do spin and knit with it are in this area.

Murray

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread, and thanks to Murray above, for pointing out the location on where to get

these Huskey hair knitt gloves.

WIll definately look into them when we're there in June. :)

Geez, I wish someone would have told MY Husky that bit of info! Her step-sister didn't smell, but the smelly one more than makes up for the (now deceased) step-sister!

If a husky gets wet a lot, the underwool can go moldy - and does THAT ever stink!

If a husky gets wet a lot, the underwool can go moldy - and does THAT ever stink!

She has Cushings Disease, so her coat is a LONG way from normal (guard hairs and undercoat). We don't bath her too often (couple of times a year) as she then gets hot spots/skin infections. And she can only manage to stay clean for a couple of days post-bath. Then we are stuck with weeks of treatment for the hot spots etc, and an again-dirty dog. Boy, she's lucky we adopted her -- most people would have gotten rid of her long before now :( Also had her tested for thyroid, as that will cause "odor", but her thyroid is normal. We have her on a zinc supplement, and some of her "patches" are re-growing, but not normal. Poor thing! The only husky in town who must wear a snowsuit when it is cold!

Archived