Where to buy fur coat?

LadyBerard

Folks,

Poor Lady B -- who lives not far from me in Massachusetts -- just asked for some simple shopping advice, not a judgement of her values. As I have tramped around Boston, Toronto, NY, NJ, VT and Minneapolis (airports, rental car parking lots, Amtrak, sidewalks, ski slopes, snowshoe trails, cold jetways and airplanes) over the past few weeks on business or for weekend fun and barely keeping warm in my verrry expensive and gorgeous wool coat and Northface ski coat --- I think it's okay for a poster to simply ask a question. If someone doesn't want to personally wear fur, then GREAT (i don't wear it, but honestly this winter has me tempted!) But, she just asked politely for advice and I think we, in this friendly, CC community, should just follow Mom's advice and "hold our tongue unless you have something nice to say."

Unless, you don't wear leather sneakers or running shoes, carry a leather wallet or purse or eat pork, beef, chicken, veal etc --- then REALLY, is there a big difference?

Lynne in suburban Boston with 2 feet of snow in my yard!

just asked a simple question. Do people not know or not care? Never got my answer.

You're assuming we agree there is something wrong with the way fur is obtained by trapping. Do you not know that is how some people survive making a living? Or do you not care?

Folks,

Poor Lady B -- who lives not far from me in Massachusetts -- just asked for some simple shopping advice, not a judgement of her values. As I have tramped around Boston, Toronto, NY, NJ, VT and Minneapolis (airports, rental car parking lots, Amtrak, sidewalks, ski slopes, snowshoe trails, cold jetways and airplanes) over the past few weeks on business or for weekend fun and barely keeping warm in my verrry expensive and gorgeous wool coat and Northface ski coat --- I think it's okay for a poster to simply ask a question. If someone doesn't want to personally wear fur, then GREAT (i don't wear it, but honestly this winter has me tempted!) But, she just asked politely for advice and I think we, in this friendly, CC community, should just follow Mom's advice and "hold our tongue unless you have something nice to say."

Unless, you don't wear leather sneakers or running shoes, carry a leather wallet or purse or eat pork, beef, chicken, veal etc --- then REALLY, is there a big difference?

Lynne in suburban Boston with 2 feet of snow in my yard!

Honestly, I've been freezing for years in my wool jackets and my Lands End winter jacket. Now they are saved for winter days when it is above 30 only because my Alaska fur parka is SO much warmer for the colder days. There is no comparison at all. This is the first winter I'm not freezing to death, even though it is a colder than normal one.

You're assuming we agree there is something wrong with the way fur is obtained by trapping. Do you not know that is how some people survive making a living? Or do you not care?

I can't believe anyone wouldn't think there was something wrong with how these animals are killed. Yes, I do know that is how people make money, Just like I know people working in cigarette factories make money and people working in nuclear plants make money and people working at Smith & Wesson are making money. So that is the important thing, huh? Making money. You guys can discuss this all you want, I'm out.

I can't believe anyone wouldn't think there was something wrong with how these animals are killed. Yes, I do know that is how people make money, Just like I know people working in cigarette factories make money and people working in nuclear plants make money and people working at Smith & Wesson are making money. So that is the important thing, huh? Making money. You guys can discuss this all you want, I'm out.

So are all those people terrible people, too? None of the trappers, cigarette factory workers, gunsmiths, etc. should be allowed to earn a living? None of them meet your standards for being acceptable humans? :rolleyes:

just asked a simple question. Do people not know or not care? Never got my answer.

That wasn't the point of my response. If you did read karatemom2's post, you might ask yourself: does my post assist someone with a question about cruising, or the activities related to cruising--shopping being a favorite.

If it was really an important issue for you, I can think of many more effective efforts than harassing the few people on one travel discussion board who want a fur coat.

And I'm quite sure the OP realizes the fur doesn't simply far off the animal at some prearranged time. We all make choices.

I wonder how many people watch those documentaries where we see animals torn to shreds by other animals. Unfortunately for the hunted, there's no real way to die with painless dignity in the wild. Even if you're a predator, your end is awful. A wolf is stomped by a moose, and has a long, lingering, painful death. A bear is attacked by a larger bear and also dies slowly from his wounds.

I'm not suggesting it's better to die in a trap, but just wanted to point out that there's no Disney world out there for animals, where they frolic among buttercups all day long.

Although David Green's is the most known furrier there are many in Alaska. Arctic Midnight Furs is a small mom & pop furrier that has been in business over 20 years. Although I'm not much into fur, they do have some very nice looking items.

This thread, as with most that touch on fur garments, slips into the morality of wearing fur. I think it's more of an issue of practicality. We just returned this afternoon from the sled dog races at Tosier Track in Anchorage. Not one racer or spectator was wearing a fur coat. One in ten were wearing something fur, mainly a ruff and a couple of beaver hats. It was about 10 degrees.

So the question for all those fur advocates is; Why don't more people wear fur?

I've traveled extensively in bush communities as well and haven't seen much being worn by the Alaska Native population either.

Folks,

I was going to keep my mouth shut, but I have to respond to this question. First of all, I know many people who don't eat meat or use items made of leather. Secondly, YES, there is a difference in the way that animals are killed. You need to see the videos of animals being skinned alive so that their fur won't be damaged. Of course, those are not animals that have been living in the wild in Alaska. They are animals that are bred for the purpose of harvesting their fur.

There are merciful ways to slaughter animals and horrible cruel ways. Hopefully, a typical Alaskan hunter uses the more humane methods.

I was going to keep my mouth shut, but I have to respond to this question. First of all, I know many people who don't eat meat or use items made of leather. Secondly, YES, there is a difference in the way that animals are killed. You need to see the videos of animals being skinned alive so that their fur won't be damaged. Of course, those are not animals that have been living in the wild in Alaska. They are animals that are bred for the purpose of harvesting their fur.

There are merciful ways to slaughter animals and horrible cruel ways. Hopefully, a typical Alaskan hunter uses the more humane methods.

Well said. I have to open my trap too....

People eat meat because we are in essence omnivores/carnivores. People wear leather shoes out of practicality and most leather is a by-product of the (hopefully humane in most cases) meat industry. The difference with the fur industry (apart from the cruelty, images of which will haunt me forever) is that it exists solely for the purposes of vanity, and that is what is so disgraceful about it.

Apologies if this has side-tracked the thread, but this is an extremely emotive issue for many, many people.

People eat meat because we are in essence omnivores/carnivores. People wear leather shoes out of practicality and most leather is a by-product of the (hopefully humane in most cases) meat industry. The difference with the fur industry ...is that it exists solely for the purposes of vanity, and that is what is so disgraceful about it.

Every industry that supplies anything beyond the absolute basics can be classed as a "vanity" industry that is destroying the world in various ways - from large homes and fancy cars to tobacco, liquor and "logo" clothing made in sweatshops. Feel free to add in street lighting, cars in any form, travel of any kind, etc, etc, etc. You can rationalize your anger at the fur trade but that doesn't make it logical to those of us who support it.

Murray

Well said. I have to open my trap too....

People eat meat because we are in essence omnivores/carnivores. People wear leather shoes out of practicality and most leather is a by-product of the (hopefully humane in most cases) meat industry. The difference with the fur industry (apart from the cruelty, images of which will haunt me forever) is that it exists solely for the purposes of vanity, and that is what is so disgraceful about it.

Apologies if this has side-tracked the thread, but this is an extremely emotive issue for many, many people.

Perhaps you should take your own advise. If you and others who are so violently opposed to fur, meat, trapping, and on and on should just but out. Why don't you start your own thread instead of trying to hijack this one.

I suppose you have an opinion with little knowledge on the great Governor of Alaska's order to thin the overpopulation of wolves. Their hides will probably be made into coats and other items which I would gladly put on.

Perhaps you should take your own advise. If you and others who are so violently opposed to fur, meat, trapping, and on and on should just but out. Why don't you start your own thread instead of trying to hijack this one.

I suppose you have an opinion with little knowledge on the great Governor of Alaska's order to thin the overpopulation of wolves. Their hides will probably be made into coats and other items which I would gladly put on.

I never said I was violently opposed to anything. But since you included me in your attack, I will state that the only thing regarding fur that I am violently opposed to is cruelty to animals. A hunter shooting and killing a wolf quickly and mercifully is not cruelty of the type that I mentioned in my post that you quoted.

I'd love to purchase a fur coat while on our cruise. I have read that they are much more reasonably priced in Alaska. I'm cruising in August on the Golden. Will be going to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, and Victoria, BC. Can anyone tell me which port would be the best to buy a nice fur coat and which store?

Thanks.

Sorry if you think I am attacking you. I'm not trying to attack you or anyone else. The point of this thread is buying a fur coat in Alaska, , not cruelty to animals. I personally know of no one that supports cruelty to animals.

Archived