Tour Guide in Beijing

ronbarb

My DH and I will be in Beijing an extra day before our tour begins. We are interested in seeing a part of the Great Wall that is not heavy with tourists. Can anyone recommend a reputable guide? Thanks in advance.

Most of the tour operators have an alternative to the main spot however bear in mind that the out of the way spots are not as well kept nor do they have facilities to help you get to the top..... many under estimate the walk to the top of the wall!!

However you could give Tansy call or send her an Email at Beijingservices.com - they customize too. Many of us are using them as a transfer to Beijing wherer are then splitting up do to our own thing with our own BS guide & driver.

I can highly recommend Catherine Lu at www.catherine_1130@hotmail.com or www.snow_lxh@163.com. We had Catherine for 3 days in Dec 2007, she was excellent - very accomodating, perfect English etc....

Hu Gypsy.

I cannot access her with these addresses. The first is a hotmail sign in situation and the 2nd is all in chinese. I am keen to contact her- any other contact info/details please?

• 2 weeks later...
My DH and I will be in Beijing an extra day before our tour begins. We are interested in seeing a part of the Great Wall that is not heavy with tourists. Can anyone recommend a reputable guide? Thanks in advance.

We used Gray Line Beijing to arrange our tours in Beijing and Xian. They arranged the hotel accomadations; in country flight arrangements; airport transfers; tours; and transfer to the pier in Xingang for our group of 4 people. They provided excellent service.

Click on this link for additional information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Cruzer Two

You can try to Konglin,konglin316@hotmail.com. A reputable guide and driver in Beijing.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my request. I appreciate all the different companies recommended. Now comes the homework of researching...I enjoy that almost as much as the traveling! Safe travels to everyone,

Barbara

• 3 weeks later...

We also booked through Beijing Services and were very pleased both in Xingang, and in Shanghai with their arrangements. The prices were very affordable (less than 1/3 of the shore ex from the ship) and having a private driver & English speaking guide absolutely made our trip in Beijing.

I'm quite proud of our find since it was Cruise Critic that got us thinking about using this company in the first place. Once we debarked, it was clear were were not the only clever ones: I bet there were over 50 cars and drivers at the port to pick other parties up too!

Here's a set of posts I made regarding our time with our guide, Alan, in Beijing. I hope you all have as meaningful and memorable a trip as we did!

http://happyalaskan.blogspot.com/2009/02/beijing-china-there-is-no-china-part-1.html

Actually, if you really want the less visited section of the Great Wall, you might avoid the Badaling section which is the closest to Beijing city center. It is the one most visited, and is usually very crowded and you will be surrounded by souvenir vendors.

We were last there in 2007, and visited the section called Mutianyu, about 70 km from the city. It is much less crowded, and you can reach the wall by way of a cable car, and will have a better chance at pictures with fewer tourists.

We arranged for a car, driver and guide through our hotel, and had them for several days. They were supplied the China International Travel - just in case you want to wait until you arrive....

We had Alvin Jang who comes highly recommended on Tripadvisor. e mail alvinbenton@hotmail.com

He has his own transport is a good and safe driver and he is a perfect gentleman. We went to the Mutianyu section which is well preserved and not as crowded as Badaling. We went up on a ski lift (there was also an enclosed cable car but it was closed for maintenance on the day we were there). We walked a good section of the wall and then returned to the village on the toboggan which was great fun and perfectly safe. We then went to the Summer Palace and then the Olympic venues before returning to our hotel.

We were in China for three weeks last fall and spent a couple days in Beijing. Our tour guide was Jin who spoke perfect English and knew how and where the interesting places were for us to visit. He usually works for China Spree, but now with the tourist trade down, he will consider special arrangements, I am sure.

You might contact him at jin shey [jinshey@yahoo.com.cn]

Archived