bathtubs and outside cabins

Mary Ellen

We're looking at taking the Volendam next summer. One of our friends going with us is an older lady. I'm concerned about how easy it will be for her to get in/out of the tub when showering. We've had inside cabins (shower, no tub) and suites (B & S, with the whirlpool tubs). I'm 5'4" and found the suite tub rims came to the top of my knee - not the easiest to get in to. With the regular outside cabin tubs not being whirlpool, are they lower and easier to navigate? Otherwise we may be forced to another line - that has showers in the outside cabins.

Thanks -

Sorry to say, the tubs in outside categories are the same as in the mini suites and suites, still that high side to them. If you think your friend will have a hard time with this, perhaps an inside cabin would be better.

I find that the step up and over is quite high...I'm 5'5". My mother could not use this tub/shower alone even with the grab bars. Check into the outside handicapped cabins. They have a shower and that is what I would have to get if she were travelling with me. They are set up a little differently and have additional space.

Doone – thanks but unfortunately inside cabins aren’t an option. We’re going to Alaska and she (understandably) wants the view available. I’d thought about G2713/15 – outsides in the stern with the showers, but that cabin type was on the ‘Worst Cabin’ thread.

MaryBeach - If we go with HAL, we may have to go the handicap cabin route. This friend is in her mid-late 70s and had a nasty fall a year ago. She dislocated her shoulder and tore her rotator cup (cuff?) and doesn't have full use of that arm. I'm concerned she'd have problems using the grab bars with the normal tub.

My friend has taken 1 cruise before, X around South America on the Mercury. She liked that ship, but we'd like her to experience HAL. The Mercury is sailing out of Seattle and we may end up on her, just because of the showers.

I am extremely active and fit and am quite tall at 5ft 6in yet I had to be careful each day when I got out of the bath on the Prinsendam. The tubs are very high and you do have to be careful. I would hate to be trying to get out of them in a high sea.

Jennie

Good point, Jennie. I had always wanted a tub instead of a shower and was thrilled to have one on my first trip to Alaska.

Wrong! I had to hold on to one grab bar as I tried to wash with the other hand. I realized how dangerous it could be to try to raise or lower myself for a bath. And those seas weren't terribly high, either! Add in the fact that getting out the floor is lower than the tub and there's potential danger.

I remember standing in the tub taking a shower on the Rotterdam as the seas swelled to 45'. Now that was scarry. :eek:

Have you considered a Vista-class ship? I believe there are outside cabins with showers on those.

RuthC - we did look at the Oosterdam. She sails to the Hubbard Glacier and not Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay is a requirement for the 2nd friend rooming with the 1st friend (who is also a RuthC and major chocoholic, btw). Checking the Mercury's itinerary, she doesn't go to Glacier Bay either, so X is out too.

This Volendam itinerary is perfect for us (we greatly prefer Skagway to Sitka, and haven't been to Tracy Arm in our 4 previous Alaskan cruises), we just need to find cabins that fit our needs. I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall (bulkhead) trying to get something that works for everyone.

RuthC - do what I do. I have no trouble getting into the tub, but getting out is difficult because of my knees. I put a towel on the rim of the tub, sit down on it and swing my legs over the side to step ontp the floor mat. I even do this sometimes getting into the tub. It makes it so much easier.

I always have a shower, again because of the knees, can't sit down or get up in the tub even with the grip bars.

Next cruise we are on a Vista ship and have an SS, so no problem with the separate shower stall. :)

RuthC - do what I do....
Usually it isn't a problem, Esme, since I book an inside and rarely get upgraded to outside.

But when I have had an outside that is just about what I do, too. Great minds think alike!

I'm always afraid that the floor is going to drop out from below me, though. It's been known to happen.

Princess line doesn't have tubs in balcony cabins, just in the mini-suites and suites. The Sun Class ships (Sun and Dawn - maybe the Sea) have lovely mini-suites that have both a tub AND a walk-in shower. I would take a good look at their offerings.

Roberta

Archived