A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

My husband and I will be on Ms. Eurodam for the 3/20/10 sailing. I am curious to know whether they offer a chef's table where a very limited number of guests can pay a fee and get to tour the galley, etc. and then dine with the chef. I'm not sure I'm calling it by the proper name, but you probably know what I mean. I'd also like to know, if they do do this, can this be reserved in advance.

First, let me say thank you and to tell you how much I've enjoyed your blog. Terrific!:)

Not sure if the Eurodam will have it -- but it is offered on some ships.

It is $129 per person --- Chef's Dinner -- you can not make reservations until you are on the ship. You have to go to the Pinnacle Grill -- they take care of this.

There is no tour of the Galley -- you meet in the Queen's Lounge / Culinary Arts Center at a specified time. The chef prepares the meal in front of you. The cellar master will be there as well as to explain the wines that are served with each course.

It was offered on our Westerdam (2008 & 2009) and Noordam (2009) cruises but not on our recent Zuiderdam cruises. When we were on the Eurodam in 2008 it was not offered.

It is $129 per person --- Chef's Dinner -- you can not make reservations until you are on the ship. You have to go to the Pinnacle Grill -- they take care of this.

There is no tour of the Galley -- you meet in the Queen's Lounge / Culinary Arts Center at a specified time. The chef prepares the meal in front of you. The cellar master will be there as well as to explain the wines that are served with each course.

It was offered on our Westerdam (2008 & 2009) and Noordam (2009) cruises but not on our recent Zuiderdam cruises. When we were on the Eurodam in 2008 it was not offered.

Thank you so much for this information. I will have the concierge in the Neptune Lounge check this out for me as soon as we are onboard. Have you done this previously and, if so, did you enjoy it?

Hi,

I wonder if you can answer a question that came up on our board. If we leave the ship in Panama for a private tour does the ship provide tourist cards? Or do we need to contact the Panama Consulate to get a card or visa?

Thanks for your help,

Debbie

Thank you so much for this information. I will have the concierge in the Neptune Lounge check this out for me as soon as we are onboard. Have you done this previously and, if so, did you enjoy it?

We have done the Sommelier's Dinner several times -- it is $79 per person -- tthe first ones were great -- but the last couple we went to -- stingy on the wine -- barely got 2 ounces -- no refills with each course -- so we stopped going to them. It is very similar to the Chef's Dinner -- you don't see the chef cooking - but the cellar master does talk about the wines.

We did go to the first Chef's Dinner -- there were about 12 of us there -- felt it was over priced. Also the chef was heavy on the onions -- everything he made he put in a ton of onions. That was all we could taste. And I have to be careful of onions as they do not agree with me. The wine cellar master poured just about 4 ounces of each wine. Each chef does something different. We decided not to go to them anymore.

Maybe you will have a good one -- never can tell.

Hi,

I wonder if you can answer a question that came up on our board. If we leave the ship in Panama for a private tour does the ship provide tourist cards? Or do we need to contact the Panama Consulate to get a card or visa?

Thanks for your help,

Debbie

We have done several cruises where we anchored off Panama City at Amador.

You do not need a toursit card or a visa.

The only people who need them as those who will actually staying in Panama for more than a day.

You will arrive there around 6 PM -- everyone must be back on board -- usually around Midnight as the ship has to be ready to line up to enter the canal between 4 and 5 AM.

Your time is limited for shore tours.

To clarify, there are galley tours available, just not associated with this event.

Sailing on Ryndam in Alaska... will there be opportunities to play Mah JOngg?

Opportunities and places? Sure! Not positive if the ships would have a setup though and all the appropriate pieces. Would recommend bringing your own just in case so you don't miss the things that you like to do.

Hi,

Thanks for your help,

Debbie

This is the sort of thing you would want to speak with an Immigration office about to be certain you have the right information. I would never want to advise on this as it would be a hunch or something "I think I interpretted correctly off a government website" (which can be subject to change anyway.

Do yourself a big favor on this one Debbie, and make sure you get the information you need directly from your government or the one in question. (And this goes for all nationalities and all "Do I need a ______ to visit ______ questions." It's not worth the risk... and many times the process to get your answers takes next to no time.)

We have done the Sommelier's Dinner several times -- it is $79 per person -- tthe first ones were great -- but the last couple we went to -- stingy on the wine -- barely got 2 ounces -- no refills with each course -- so we stopped going to them. It is very similar to the Chef's Dinner -- you don't see the chef cooking - but the cellar master does talk about the wines.

We did go to the first Chef's Dinner -- there were about 12 of us there -- felt it was over priced. Also the chef was heavy on the onions -- everything he made he put in a ton of onions. That was all we could taste. And I have to be careful of onions as they do not agree with me. The wine cellar master poured just about 4 ounces of each wine. Each chef does something different. We decided not to go to them anymore.

Maybe you will have a good one -- never can tell.

Keep in mind also that food is art. One person's interpretation does not need to be the next person's, and people that are sensitive to a certain food for whatever reason may have a different feeling from the rest of the group. I, for instance, find mushrooms to be a total dealbreaker unless they can be completely removed from a recipe...

The menus can be rather variable on these events and if you have any preferences, concerns, sensitivities, etc the staff is always able to assist you in whether the event would be a good match for you.

Keep in mind also that food is art. One person's interpretation does not need to be the next person's, and people that are sensitive to a certain food for whatever reason may have a different feeling from the rest of the group. I, for instance, find mushrooms to be a total dealbreaker unless they can be completely removed from a recipe...

The menus can be rather variable on these events and if you have any preferences, concerns, sensitivities, etc the staff is always able to assist you in whether the event would be a good match for you.

That's why I mentioned that they might have a good one -- never can tell.

I also don;t care for mushrooms that much.

Dutch, do you have any info that you can report re HAL's intentions if the IAATO pass their proposed requirement that all ships to the Antarctica must carry and burn only light fuel? Some article reported that the cruise ships now carry both light and heavy fuel and use only light fuel when they get to Antarctica, but under the proposed regs, no heavy fuel can even be carried in the ship. So . . . is this going to mean the end of HAL's cruises to penguin-land?

Dutch, do you have any info that you can report re HAL's intentions if the IAATO pass their proposed requirement that all ships to the Antarctica must carry and burn only light fuel? Some article reported that the cruise ships now carry both light and heavy fuel and use only light fuel when they get to Antarctica, but under the proposed regs, no heavy fuel can even be carried in the ship. So . . . is this going to mean the end of HAL's cruises to penguin-land?

I haven't heard any proposed itinerary changes, so I wouldn't stress too much... There would be news releases if there's a change that big.

I have to tell you that we did the Sommelier dinner on our last cruise. the combinations looked scary, but the taste was delicious. Probably the best meal I have ever had in my life. I encourage all to try it once. We were invited for champagne before and then went to the dinner. the choices were different, like nothing you would get on the ship and the meal was unforgettable. Menu is in my photo album. Had to buy a special one just to hold it. We were on the Ooesterdam f.y.i. and I could tell that both the chef and the chief wine steward were very proud.

Contrary to previous posts, I would encourage people to try this. The Pinnacle grill wasn't full (price?) but it was truly an incredible night. If it's offered on the next cruise I will do it again. and really if you're dissapointed, talk to the hotel manager, they want this kind of feed back and will probably help. In our case, it was incredible, delicious and awe inspiring.

We are leaving on a TA cruise of the Westerdam April 14th. I understand the ship will be in drydock the week before we leave. Are you aware of what will be done to the ship? Also, I am getting conflicting stories will a Canalleto restaurant be added. Thanks

So I’ve had a chance to get this blog going to where I know I can keep dedicated to it so I wanted to let all of you know about it.

As you can see from other posts on the blog if you look through what I’ve put up previously, I am an employee of HAL at the corporate offices in Seattle and must admit that the combination of the Holland America Blog http://www.hollandamericablog.com and John Heald’s Blog http://www.johnhealdsblog.com have inspired me to try my own hand at it.

Please let me know anything you are curious about or would like to see covered.

I simply ask that you realize that I am not your travel agent, the Reservations department nor your Personal Cruise Consultant and that I am unable to discuss your personal booking, take payments, provide free upgrades :) and so forth.

My goal is to offer a wide variety of info, both work-related and about me, such as that which John does on his blog…

So ask away, I’m here! And welcome!

http://dutchbyassociation.blogspot.com/

~B

We are leaving on a TA cruise of the Westerdam April 14th. I understand the ship will be in drydock the week before we leave. Are you aware of what will be done to the ship? Also, I am getting conflicting stories will a Canalleto restaurant be added. Thanks

Hi there. Not sure on any specifics, I think mostly just general maintenance, carpets where needed, etc. But yes, Canaletto will be added during this dry dock.

Westerdam is a phenomenal ship. Enjoy!

DBA, I have a question. I have cabin 3304 booked on the Zaandam to Alaska. This cabin is right under the Mondrian Lounge. Do you know if this will be a noise problem late at night?

If you've followed my blog, I was on the Zaandam and had a room directly above the Mondriaan Lounge. The important question is: When do you usually go to bed?

If you eat early and see the first show, then enjoy a bit of the night life (the second show will be happening at this time) you ought to be fine.

If you eat later and see the second show, then you know the entertainment is over for the night. (The exception being the crew show which will happen usually from 11pm-midnight on one evening and will be listed in the Daily Program... and this is always worth staying up a little later for)

Hope that helps!

Hi - I have 2 questions for you. Is there a place to view online the wine list and cost for the Westerdam? And if you bring wine on board and pay the $18 (crazy) corking fee in the diningroom or the Lido, will they store it for you, like they would if you bought the wine from them?

(OK - 3 questions) How do you find out and get on a "galley tour"? I would love to do that!

Hi - I have 2 questions for you. Is there a place to view online the wine list and cost for the Westerdam? And if you bring wine on board and pay the $18 (crazy) corking fee in the diningroom or the Lido, will they store it for you, like they would if you bought the wine from them?

(OK - 3 questions) How do you find out and get on a "galley tour"? I would love to do that!

1) Ship Services can contact the ship and get a copy of the list for you if they don't already have it... 800-541-1576

2) Most people aren't fans of corkage fees, but anywhere from $12-25 is pretty common for restaurants. And keep in mind, that corkage fee is ONLY if you have the bottle opened in the dining room, not for anything you choose to enjoy in your room. Not totally sure if they would store it, but I don't see why not. I would ask onboard to make sure.

3) It'll be in the daily program. On a 7 day cruise it's usually the first sea day from what I've seen. Earlier(ish) in the morning... 9 or 10am...

This is the wine list I copied from the Westerdam:

These is a list of the current wines offered in the dining room -- they could change at any time:

White Wines:

Kreusch Piersporter Riesling Spatlese, Germany - $25

Beringer Pinot Grigio, CA - $25

Ruffino Pinot Grigio, Italy - $39

Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc, CA - $35

Silverado Sauvignon Blanc, CA - $49

Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc, CA - $37

Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand - $45

Michel Redde Pouilly Fume, France - $59

Hedges CMS White, WA State - $39

Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc & Viognier, CA - $45

Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling, WA State - $29

Robert Mondavi Sauvignon Blanc, CA - $35

Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc, Chile - $25

Laboure-Roi Pouilly Fuisse, France - $54

Santa Carolina Chardonnay, Chile - $22

Alice White Chardonnay, Australia - $27

Georges Duboeuf Macon-Villages, France - $35

Footprint Chardonnay, South Africa - $29

Monkey Bay Chardonnay, New Zealand - $37

Rosemont Estate Chardonnay, Australia - $35

Caliterra Chardonnay, Chile - $29

Domaine Laroche Chablis ier ccru, France - $49

Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet, France - $89

Beringer Chardonnay, CA - $45

Horse Heaven Sauvignon Blanc, WA - $55

Franciscan Chardonnay, CA - $47

Merryvale Starmont Chardonnay, CA - $59

Lanzerac Chardonnay, South Africa - $65

Ferrari-Carano Chardonnay, CA - $69

Canoe Ridge Estate Chardonnay, WA - $69

Apex Chardonnay, WA - $75

Conundrum, CA - $39

________________________________________________________________________________________

Red Wines

castle Rock Cuvee Pinot Noir, CA - $37

Meridian Pinot Noir, CA - $37

Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir, Oregan - $69

Laboure'- Roi Pommard, France - $69

Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Villages, France - $25

Villa Fiorita Barbera D'Asti Superiore, Italy - $54

Antinori Santa Cristina Sangiovese, Italy - $29

Perrin Reserve Cotes-Du-Rhone, France - $39

Les Closiers Chateauneuf-Du-pope, France - $59

Marques de Caceres Rioja, Spain - $29

Arboleda Camenere, Chile - $49

Domaine de la Serre Cailboux, france - $65

Niebaum-Coppola Claret, CA - $49

Rosemont Estate Shiraz, Australia - $39

Marques Shiraz, Australia - $54

Footprint Shiraz, South Africa - $29

Alice White Shiraz, Australia - $27

Cline Cellars Zinfandel, CA - $35

Trentadue Old Patch, CA - $49

Columbia Crest Grand Estates merlot, WA - $45

Beringer Stone cellars Merlot, CA - $27

Robert Mondavi, CA - $37

Hedges Red Mountain Three Vineyards, WA - $69

Columbia crest Estates Cabernet Sauvignon, WA - $45

Twin Oaks Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon, CA - $27

Spellbound Petite Sirah, CA - $45

Beringer Founders' Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, CA - $39

Guenoc Cabernet Sauvignon, CA - $35

Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia - $42

Meritage Franciscan Magnificat, CA - $79

Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon, CA - $79

Northstar Merlot, WA - $89

Castello Banfi Brunello di Montalcino, Italy - $108

________________________________________________________________________________________

Champagnes & Sparkling Wines by the Bottle

Domaine St Michelle Brut, WA - $39

Domaine Chandon Brut, CA - $47

Nicolas Feuillate Brut, France - $59

Moet & Chandon brut Imperial, France - $89

Taittinger Prestive Rose, France - $99

Moet & Chandon Dom Perignon Brut, France - $199

Archived