A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

A quick question...having been promised 2 coupon books worth $700 because we had to upgrade (at $500pp) after a snafu by your reservation desk (to get a room with shower only) we were told we'd receive coupons worth this much...including free meals- drinks - water-soda-- photos etc. Now after asking about this book on the main forum' date=' postings indicate items are not worth near 700$ and always buy one get one etc. Just what IS free on these coupons and were they really any compensation for having to pay $1,000 because of HAL's mistake???[/quote']

The Onboard Value Booklets have values around $350/each. I believe most or all are free and discounted things with a purchase. (Also keep in mind these are Onboard VALUE Booklets, not Onboard FREEBIE Booklets. Depending on what you do or don't do, buy or don't, whether or not you shop, drink, participate in art auctions, use the spa etc... you may or may not find much benefit from them.

Do you stay in your room, drink coffee and ice tea and never buy anything onboard (is your onboard bill only the Hotel Service Charge amounts)?

You won't like it much.

Do you do a fair amount of the:

Depending on what you do or don't do, buy or don't, whether or not you shop, drink, participate in art auctions, use the spa etc...

that I mentioned above?

Then you might be pleasantly surprised.

I received one as a promotion on a sailing in 2008 and actually got a fair amount of use from it. Others here will say things like "not worth the paper its printed on." It's in the eye of the beholder.

Hey camp,

Sorry, I thought I had replied to you.

I saw a memo the other day that any difficulties ought to be cleared up by today or possibly tomorrow. So it ought to all be fine from here on out

Thanx ... the problem did clear yesterday. So, all's well.:)

I'm hoping to do my first HAL soon, on Oosterdam to Mexico. On other cruise lines I've been with the port presentations are always shopping-based. I don't cruise to shop, I cruise to see new places. Will I learn more on Oosterdam about the destinations we'll be visiting?

Hi Dutch I have another question.Is it legal to leave a 14 Night cruise midway through(Anchorage) if all the ports visited are part of the United States.?The last port will be in Canada before returning to Seattle a week latter.

I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV), but neither is Dutch. However, I do know the answer to this one---

If you start a cruise in a US port, you do a normal disembarkation from the ship in another US port without first stopping at a distant foreign port. Therefore, if you start in Seattle, you may not disembark in Anchorage.

An emergency situation, such as needing medical treatment, is different.

I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV), but neither is Dutch. However, I do know the answer to this one---

If you start a cruise in a US port, you do a normal disembarkation from the ship in another US port without first stopping at a distant foreign port. Therefore, if you start in Seattle, you may not disembark in Anchorage.

An emergency situation, such as needing medical treatment, is different. [/QU

Why is HAL represntative telling me that people are only booked for 7 Nights on the New !4 Night Seattle R/T cruise?This is their explanation for why all Anchorage tours are listedin Transit.My tour out of Anchorage has been cancelled as of yesterday(I was already told by a different HAL Rep that the tours were listed incorrectly as intransit.This was 2 weeks ago and were supposed to be changed.A Supervisor is supposed to call me tonight.I hope I can get this straightened out then.By the way we are in port 7am-11pm on Summer Solstice

Why is HAL represntative telling me that people are only booked for 7 Nights on the New !4 Night Seattle R/T cruise?This is their explanation for why all Anchorage tours are listedin Transit.My tour out of Anchorage has been cancelled as of yesterday(I was already told by a different HAL Rep that the tours were listed incorrectly as intransit.This was 2 weeks ago and were supposed to be changed.A Supervisor is supposed to call me tonight.I hope I can get this straightened out then.By the way we are in port 7am-11pm on Summer Solstice

I don't understand the circumstances of this question. Perhaps you could simplify it? Or present it in a more straightforward manner?

The Amsterdam 14-day Alaska cruise is sold as a 14-day cruise. Since it's round-trip to/from the same US port it only needs to visit a near foreign port. The Victoria stop fills that requirement.

But passengers may not board in Seattle and disembark in Anchorage. Nor may passengers board in Anchorage and disembark in Seattle.

Anything in particular anyone would like to see on the blog? Just a reminder that I take requests as well :)

Hey Dutch; interviews with onboard or home office staff to explain and tell a bit about their job function for the line are always interesting:)

yes that is what I thought,but The HAL rep I spoke to yesterday told me people would be boarding in Seattle and getting off in Anchorage to either do a land tour or fly home.I think this would really be idiotic as they would miss Kodiak, Homer and Hubbard Glacier.The rep insisted that this is how many had booked this cruise.No one on our roll call boards has done this. All I want is my Grande Anchorage/Aleyeska?Portage Glacier Tour that I already booked and paid for in January

I'm hoping to do my first HAL soon, on Oosterdam to Mexico. On other cruise lines I've been with the port presentations are always shopping-based. I don't cruise to shop, I cruise to see new places. Will I learn more on Oosterdam about the destinations we'll be visiting?

There will be the Port Shopping Ambassador that will cover the shiopping, etc but there will usually be additional presentations about ports of call that will be visited.

If there aren't, keep in mind that the staff onboard has in many cases been there week after week after week... You get the idea. Ask them where the great spots are. Shore Excursions would be a great resource also.

Hey Dutch; interviews with onboard or home office staff to explain and tell a bit about their job function for the line are always interesting:)

I have one in the works that I ought to have up within a few days, and keep in mind that there have already been several in my "Meet the Crew" features.

Anyone in particular you would like me to attempt to corner (err... umm... I mean submit a series of questions to consider and respond to)? :D

I have one in the works that I ought to have up within a few days, and keep in mind that there have already been several in my "Meet the Crew" features.

Anyone in particular you would like me to attempt to corner (err... umm... I mean submit a series of questions to consider and respond to)? :D

How 'bout the person who deals with scheduling and itineraries? Understand that's done at least a year and a half to two years in advance

Hi Dutch,

just want to say that I am organizing my first meet n greet for or Panama in April. I spoke to Tia who was absolutely awesome. No forms faxed, no garbage great advice and it was done. She encouraged me to do the next one for the Nieuw Amsterdam (her ship).

Just tremendous, do you have the power to pass that on?

Compliment then question?

What is going on with this new Mariner thing? It's great I get a discount but I like to order before I get on board rather than wait and then be rushy. Especially with the Pinnacle. Apparently,our discounts are not recognized until we get on board.

Any chance they can fix the website soon? Surely they can take the discounts into account? When I sign in, they know how many stars I have. This is a real inconvenience for a planner. (seriously)

Just my thoughts and I am sure I am not the only one. Thanks Dutch, if you could pass it on it would be great. Jacqui

Thank you very much for your efforts. Our first ever cruise was on the Maasdam in Dec. 2006 out of Norfolk VA, 11 days (and our first cruise).............unknown at the time was that this would be the last time Maasdam would have roundtrips out of Norfolk so we were fortunate to do this since it convinced me how much I love cruising, the Maasdam and HAL ships in general.

We have now been on the Maasdam for a total of 39 days as I recall and have had Captain Henk Draper all 3 times.........the old girl is my favorite but she does need some major refurbishing of the mechanical and AC equipment and HAL is putting this off too long so that several passengers were not very happy on our last trip October 2009 because of the hot rooms and lack of AC control. We will be on the Eurodam in October.

Welcome to our CC world.

Hi Dutch,

just want to say that I am organizing my first meet n greet for or Panama in April. I spoke to Tia who was absolutely awesome. No forms faxed, no garbage great advice and it was done. She encouraged me to do the next one for the Nieuw Amsterdam (her ship).

Just tremendous, do you have the power to pass that on?

Compliment then question?

What is going on with this new Mariner thing? It's great I get a discount but I like to order before I get on board rather than wait and then be rushy. Especially with the Pinnacle. Apparently,our discounts are not recognized until we get on board.

Any chance they can fix the website soon? Surely they can take the discounts into account? When I sign in, they know how many stars I have. This is a real inconvenience for a planner. (seriously)

Just my thoughts and I am sure I am not the only one. Thanks Dutch, if you could pass it on it would be great. Jacqui

The best resource to share the Mariner discounts feedback with is the Mariner Society directly. I'm not sure where they stand on that but I can guarantee that's the goal that would be worked toward.

Glad to hear Tia was so much help for you. When you speak with Onboard Event Services if you ask to speak with Kari (her supervisor) you could let her know directly and provide all the details on what made the experience so great :)

The best resource to share the Mariner discounts feedback with is the Mariner Society directly. I'm not sure where they stand on that but I can guarantee that's the goal that would be worked toward.

Glad to hear Tia was so much help for you. When you speak with Onboard Event Services if you ask to speak with Kari (her supervisor) you could let her know directly and provide all the details on what made the experience so great :)

Thanks Dutch, I will definitely do both. Appreciate the advice. You are a big help :D as always. :):) Jacqui

How 'bout the person who deals with scheduling and itineraries? Understand that's done at least a year and a half to two years in advance

No promises, but that might be something I can arrange. Thanks for the suggestion!
How 'bout the Upgrade Fairy? :D:D

I need to pick your brain~:confused: I need 2 nights pre Holland cruise in London and I am having the most difficult time finding a location that will offer transfers to the hotel and to the cruise port. Holland is unable as they are already waitlisted for the pre nights. I am just curious if this is something you may have tackled or actually experienced. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated as there are about 4000 places to stay in London! AUGHHH!!

It is really amazing that so many people do not communicate.From HAL to Alaska Transportation Board and everyone in between.All still arguing with me that either we do not port in Anchorage or that people are booking this as a 7 Night cruise,and will be leaving the ship hence all our tours are considered intransit.

My tour was officially cancelled on Monday,received an e-mail.Money returned to my account on Thursday.Rebooked the tour through the original site I wanted to book through in the first place,alaskatours.com for Grayline.Same exact tour cost and everything.Received a confirmation from Holland America for the tour! Now go figure!!!!!!!!!After hitting the buffet my next stop will be shore excursion desk to show them how rediculous this entire experience has been.Maybe they'll have it all figured out by the August cruises.LOL

I need to pick your brain~:confused: I need 2 nights pre Holland cruise in London and I am having the most difficult time finding a location that will offer transfers to the hotel and to the cruise port. Holland is unable as they are already waitlisted for the pre nights. I am just curious if this is something you may have tackled or actually experienced. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated as there are about 4000 places to stay in London! AUGHHH!!

hit 'hotel guru in uk. ' they have a lot of nice hotels that are not shown necessairly in Frommers or Fodors. We used them for Venice and I would go back any time. You just need a shuttle or whatever. You can also do a search for shuttles to hotels and then pick.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. You could discover a unique hotel that HAL cannot offer due to size (smaller). Search for shuttles and/or private transports. You may be in for a surprise. Our stay in London was so long ago that I would be afraid that my review would not be accurate. Hit Trip Advisor for some reviews and even this board can be a big help. Just takes a bit of time, but planning can be half the fun.

Jacqui

Archived