A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

It has been suggested to us that the Nov. 3 cruise on the Noordam could be delayed leaving Fort Lauderdale. The reason suggested is that this is the first cruise after a transatlantic cruise and the crew will have to all go through customs, which will delay boarding and departure of the ship. Can you tell us if this is a normal situation and if there is any truth to the possibility of this happening?

Hi DBA,

I was going to email you, but then again, I thought other people might have the same question:confused: , so I hope you don't mind if I post here.

I am preparing Meet & Greet invites for our next cruise:) and you have some great pics of our new ship.

Seeking your permission to copy them just for putting them on meet and greet invitations. Just would like to make sure it's ok with you. :cool: Thanks

DBA:

I have been seeing a number of comments on plumbing and a/c problems throughout the HAL fleet. In many cases, it seems that these issues were not able to be resloved, and when action was taken the issue arises again on subsequent cruises. Is the company seeing this as a problem, or are these just isolated instances?

Ken

As with any facility that is open basically 24/7/365 there are issues that can arise from time to time. When they do, the Front Office and Engineering teams onboard will do everything in their power to resolve the issue. When they can it's welcomed how quickly it can be fixd. On the times where the situation is not an ideal or easy fix the staff onboard is empowered to provide appropriate compensation for the issues experienced.

It has been suggested to us that the Nov. 3 cruise on the Noordam could be delayed leaving Fort Lauderdale. The reason suggested is that this is the first cruise after a transatlantic cruise and the crew will have to all go through customs, which will delay boarding and departure of the ship. Can you tell us if this is a normal situation and if there is any truth to the possibility of this happening?

I have heard nothing specifically about any delays, but quicte frankly, regardless of where the ship was/is and where it's going next, weather is one of many factors that can make the ship late at anytime, anywhere. The Captain will of course try to minimize this everywhere he possibly can.

Hi DBA,

I was going to email you, but then again, I thought other people might have the same question:confused: , so I hope you don't mind if I post here.

I am preparing Meet & Greet invites for our next cruise:) and you have some great pics of our new ship.

Seeking your permission to copy them just for putting them on meet and greet invitations. Just would like to make sure it's ok with you. :cool: Thanks

In most instances, the pictures of Nieuw Amsterdam on my blog were copied from the HAL blog.

While I can't speak officially for the HAL blog, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if the images were used to help increase the look of your meet and greet invitations. :) Afterall, you aren't trying to make a profit from them and you aren't selling your invited right? So I say you're fine ;)

So exciting now that we are in the single digits for the NA..I have all the right answers DBA...but just not quick enough...I have read that blog through and through...can't wait..

:)

The two threads I'm using on the blog will soon come down to one.

"Nieuw Amsterdam" will be used just like any other ship tag o cover the ship.

"The Road to NA:4" is being used for the entire pre-launch phase of the ship and unless the images are pre-launch I won't be using it soon.

Once the ship does sail though, it will be a good distinguishing aspect depending on what you'd like to find.

question for dba

thanks for all the info. we are on the statendam on august 1 southbound. have all the problems been fixed since it came out of drydock and is the ship back to "normal?" thanks

Hi there.

I more or less adressed this in another reply I just posted. See a couple posts above. There aren't really any issues on ships that are "permanent" but just like anywhere else, things can happen at any time.

In most instances, the pictures of Nieuw Amsterdam on my blog were copied from the HAL blog.

While I can't speak officially for the HAL blog, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if the images were used to help increase the look of your meet and greet invitations. :) Afterall, you aren't trying to make a profit from them and you aren't selling your invited right? So I say you're fine ;)

Thanks DBA, the one making a profit will be HAL (from the no host bars:D).

It does add to the meet and greet invites :):)

DBA...can you tell me how many hours the Captain and his officers would spend on deck on a daily basis (how would you say it in ships lingo driving the ship) lol..sailing the ship..at the helm.steering the boat..lol and do they have the same rules as pilots where they can't drink alcohol 24 hrs before taking the wheel..?

Hoping you can help me...we REALLY enjoyed Canaletto's on the Rotterdam, and look forward to eating there on other cruises, BUT..couldn't they play Italian music? It would be such a nice "touch". Who can I pass this "request" to? Thanks for any help....Carol

Hoping you can help me...we REALLY enjoyed Canaletto's on the Rotterdam, and look forward to eating there on other cruises, BUT..couldn't they play Italian music? It would be such a nice "touch". Who can I pass this "request" to? Thanks for any help....Carol
We had Italian music in the Canaletto on the Noordam. Maybe the Rotterdam lost their CD (compact disk, not Cruise Director) :)

Hi! I was wondering if you could answer a question about fans that can be loaned on board the Zaandam. Husband and I really need one but it is hard to carry in the luggage. I contacted HAL, but they didn't answer the question. I've also asked the question on the forum and I received different answers. Some say yes others say no.

Thanks!!

Hi! I was wondering if you could answer a question about fans that can be loaned on board the Zaandam. Husband and I really need one but it is hard to carry in the luggage. I contacted HAL, but they didn't answer the question. I've also asked the question on the forum and I received different answers. Some say yes others say no.

Thanks!!

I'm not DBA, but: I know the ships have some fans that are used for drying carpets that get flooded ocassionally, but those are pretty large and probably loud. Maybe you could pick up a cheap one in a port and leave it behind?

Hello DBA,

Do you know if there will be loungers on aft baclony cabins on the Nieuw Amsterdam?

Thanks!

Can't say for certain but would assume not as the rooms are typically furnished the same based on category, not location.

As the verandahs on this ship are depicted as follows, I believe the answer is a no

3D_DlxVer.jpg

DBA...can you tell me how many hours the Captain and his officers would spend on deck on a daily basis (how would you say it in ships lingo driving the ship) lol..sailing the ship..at the helm.steering the boat..lol and do they have the same rules as pilots where they can't drink alcohol 24 hrs before taking the wheel..?

I don't have access to this information actually, but as I would imagine there are maritime regulations for this sort of thing it would probably be very easy to find online. If HAL's individual policies vary I would imagine we go even more cautious than the minimums

Completely off the topic and i apologize, but first of all we are looking forward to the official launch of ms nieuw amsterdam tomorrow :d:d what a great day to do it for our american friends :) i wish you all a happy july 4th !! :):)

Completely off the topic and i apologize, but first of all we are looking forward to the official launch of ms nieuw amsterdam tomorrow :d:d what a great day to do it for our american friends :) i wish you all a happy july 4th !! :):)

I already have 260 tags on my blog for the building and shipyard process... and since this thread is a way to ask, interact, etc I don't think it's off topic. This ship (as well as Eurodam) are a little more special than the others to me because of my particular function at the HQ, so this is unbelieveably ON TOPIC as far as I'm concerned :)

And yes, Happy 4th to all my fellow Americans and happy belated Canada Day to all our friends up north!

And what would that particular function be??? Inquiring minds still want to know! But understand if it is a secret.

I believe the Eurodam and NA will be my favorite HAL ships. I look forward to hearing rave reviews soon.

Best of luck and congratulations.

And what would that particular function be??? Inquiring minds still want to know! But understand if it is a secret.

I believe the Eurodam and NA will be my favorite HAL ships. I look forward to hearing rave reviews soon.

Best of luck and congratulations.

The particular function isn't discussed... It's personal choice not a mandate from anyone... just easier to take the approach of your "Friendly neighborhood HAL know-it-all/employee" and leave it at that :)

This December I'll be on both and you better believe there will be nothing short of a billion photos on the blog following that trip :)

Archived