A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

I look forward to your blog! Though I hope you will refrain from the bodily function vulagrities that John engages in. I have looked at HAL as a potential spot for my family. But I have been very hestitant about travelling with a Carnival Cruise Line company..and all your ships look so much alike. Not to mention some of the ghastly Joe Farcus interiors you have...

To the best of my knowledge Joe Farcus has not been an advising factor in the design of HAL ships. And while I don't have hemorroids or certain other issues, I can't say I wouldn't keep them a secret if I did. :) John Heald is an inspiration to me though, as I took his blog as a goal to aspire to. No one said I can't take a different approach though. :D

If you haven't been on HAL then don't compare it to Carnival. carnival is a grotesque flashing, strobe light thing. Ugly! HAL is ambience, service, good food, and quality. Yes Carnival owns HAL, but HAL is it's own, so far anyways. We have sailed on HAL numerous times and tried other cruises but always come back to HAL (I was offered a complimentary 3 day Carnival and as soon as they took me for the tour I said no. Ugly. Nevertheless, please do not put them both in the same package. They are two totally different entities to appeal to totally different clientele. And I will sail HAL anyday. By the way, Dutch has been very helpful to us & doesn't deserve the comment you dished out. Have you been on Celebrity and Princess? they all look alike too! When you go on a cruise, there are certain things you have to expect. If you don't like the design, don't book the cruise. simple. but you'll be missing impeccable service, kind people who truly care and excellent food. your choice. I'm looking forward to my cruise on HAL

It's alright kazu. :) the beauty of these forums is that everyone can have their own opinion. If he would like to know the differences between mine and another blog or mine and another cruise company, they are more than welcome to compare/contrast. No worries! :)

Dutch Can you tell me who to contact, I would like to do a guest DJ spot on the Zaandam, Oct 4th Circle Hawaii Cruise, Specifically after we leave San Diego, Has a lot of my CC m8's will get on in San Diego. I will have my Laptop and Music Library with me. Would probably be like a old sock hop. Mostly Geared to the older crowd. Cheers! Dave:)

If the goal is to go back and forth (multiple times) best bet is probably to talk to someone that has done it before. I know Venice, but not by cruise ship.

thanks Dutch, I'll do some searching on the boards. Jacqui

We will be taking the Veendam to Bermuda next August. I know it is early but I like to look at the excursions and plan. Does anybody know when the 2010 Excursions will be out. Will Bermuda be a booklet by itself or will be listed with some other cruise itinenary. Do you receive a copy of the excursion booklet or is it only view through the HAL website.

Hi Dutch...

A question about inside cabins on both the Maasdam and Zaandam...which would be the category that would give you the most space? I know what the numbers say on HAL's site but are there any pictures of this type of cabin? Thanks.

Thank you for posting the Veendam photos taken by a CC'er, we're in the PS and it was great to see some photos as the video on HAL's website doesn't work for the Veendam for staterooms (or at least it wasn't working the last time I tried).

Hi Dutch,

First of all loved your photos on the Amsterdam. My query is why do HAL charge UK cruisers £400($640) pp deposit when booking their cruise? This happened to us on this years cruise on the Eurodam. No other mainstream cruiseline charges so much and we are about to book a 2 week cruise in Alaska next July. Its a straight choice between the Amsterdam and the Royal Princess and although I really like the look of the Amsterdam, $1280 is a lot to pay. I am curious to find out what North Americans are charged.

Hi Dutch,

We are on the Ooesterdam in October with an overnight in Venice. I thought I read somewhere that there was a shuttle by HAL to go back and forth, but now I can't find it and I'm afraid I dreamt it.

How can I find out and/or do you know the best way we can get back and forth from the ship to Venice?

Appreciate any help you can give us. Thanks so much. Jacqui

The last time we were in Venice, the ship (Carnival Freedom) had set up a shuttle to go to the vaporetto terminal. It is 15 minutes, if you walk instead. At the vaporetto terminal you can buy a ticket to allow you to use the vaporetto for various periods of time. We did an overnight there, so we bought a 24 hour ticket to St. Marks. It enabled us to go anywhere that was of interest between the ship and St. Marks, which means most of Venice. The vaporetti have different routes and some are local and others are express. We hope you enjoy your cruise.

Hi Dutch,

First of all loved your photos on the Amsterdam. My query is why do HAL charge UK cruisers £400($640) pp deposit when booking their cruise? This happened to us on this years cruise on the Eurodam. No other mainstream cruiseline charges so much and we are about to book a 2 week cruise in Alaska next July. Its a straight choice between the Amsterdam and the Royal Princess and although I really like the look of the Amsterdam, $1280 is a lot to pay. I am curious to find out what North Americans are charged.

goody1 - we just booked Panama and our deposit was $630 and when we booked Meditteranean (going in October) it was the same thing ($630 per person). So it doesn't sound like your deposit is out of line. Remember it's fully refundable (at least here) until the day before your final payment is due. Jacqui

I look forward to your blog! Though I hope you will refrain from the bodily function vulagrities that John engages in. I have looked at HAL as a potential spot for my family. But I have been very hestitant about travelling with a Carnival Cruise Line company..and all your ships look so much alike. Not to mention some of the ghastly Joe Farcus interiors you have...

Wow! :( Your post to Dutch is quite disrespectful..I agree with others who say that Dutch has been very informative a helpful..

You state you are hesitant about traveling with a Carnival Cruise line Company..From several of your posts, I gather you have cruised on Princess, Costa & Cunard, which all fall under the Carnival Corporation Umbrella..If I'm mistaken, I apologize..

Perhaps you should take a look at Carnival Corporation History, before making a such rash statements..

HAL as all other Carnival Corporation brands are autonomous & unique lines which cater to different demographics, even though they fall under the Carnival Corporation, PLC umbrella..

1989 Carnival acquired Holland American & Wind star cruises & Holland American Tours

1992 Carnival acquired he luxury brand Seabourn..

In 1994 the Carnival Corporation was formed..

1997 Carnival acquired Costa..

1998 Carnival acquired Cunard another premium luxury line..

Finally: in April 2003, Carnival Corporation combined with P&O Princess Cruises plc..It's now one of the largest leisure travel companies in the world..

"The merger with P&O Princess Cruises included some of the most recognizable brands in ocean-going travel – premium brand Princess Cruises, which gained worldwide acclaim from the hit television series, “The Love Boat”; P&O Cruises, an esteemed British cruise operator; contemporary brand P&O Cruises Australia, the country’s largest cruise operator; AIDA Cruises, Germany’s number one cruise company; Ocean Village, a contemporary United Kingdom operator catering to a younger, active clientele; and Swan Hellenic, a premium United Kingdom brand offering a distinctive and refined cruise experience."

This quote are from the Carnival Corporation, PLC Mission & History statement..

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=200767&p=irol-history

Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribeean..I'm not in the least bit interested in cruising on Royal Carib, but would not hesitate to try Celebbrity &/or Azmara..Why don't you give HAL a chance..You might enjoy it..

Betty

The last time we were in Venice, the ship (Carnival Freedom) had set up a shuttle to go to the vaporetto terminal. It is 15 minutes, if you walk instead. At the vaporetto terminal you can buy a ticket to allow you to use the vaporetto for various periods of time. We did an overnight there, so we bought a 24 hour ticket to St. Marks. It enabled us to go anywhere that was of interest between the ship and St. Marks, which means most of Venice. The vaporetti have different routes and some are local and others are express. We hope you enjoy your cruise.

thank you so much for your info. really appreciate the help. Jacqui

oops I forgot to ask, was there a transfer fee for the shuttle? thanks againfor responding and helping so quickly. Jacqui

We will be taking the Veendam to Bermuda next August. I know it is early but I like to look at the excursions and plan. Does anybody know when the 2010 Excursions will be out. Will Bermuda be a booklet by itself or will be listed with some other cruise itinenary. Do you receive a copy of the excursion booklet or is it only view through the HAL website.

I believe the excursions for a various destination become available 4-6 months before the first cruise to that destination.

They will be viewable through the website only as we have discontinued printing the shore excursion guides as part of our dedication to the environment with express docs.

Hi Dutch...

A question about inside cabins on both the Maasdam and Zaandam...which would be the category that would give you the most space? I know what the numbers say on HAL's site but are there any pictures of this type of cabin? Thanks.

While I don't have photos of specific staterooms, here's a few rooms I might suggest as the deck plan makes them look (by comparison) a little wider...

Maasdam

A Deck

769, 773

Main Deck

548, 549, 565

Zaandam

With the exception of wheelchair accessible rooms, I'm not really aware of any rooms that are majorly different, although the category I rooms at the back of Navigation Deck technically do have windows (obstructed by stairs, but still...)

Dutch Can you tell me who to contact, I would like to do a guest DJ spot on the Zaandam, Oct 4th Circle Hawaii Cruise, Specifically after we leave San Diego, Has a lot of my CC m8's will get on in San Diego. I will have my Laptop and Music Library with me. Would probably be like a old sock hop. Mostly Geared to the older crowd. Cheers! Dave:)

Hi Dave,

I would recommend you contact our entertainment department who might be able to assist you with this further.

hal_entertainment@hollandamerica.com Note there is an underscore _ between hal and entertainment

oops I forgot to ask, was there a transfer fee for the shuttle? thanks againfor responding and helping so quickly. Jacqui

Yes, there was a nominal fee for the shuttle. We walked from the ship to the vaporetto terminal in the morning, but after a day of walking on my sprained ankle we took the shuttle for the trip back. We should mention that if you don't time it right, you may have to wait longer for the shuttle than it would take you to walk.

We will be in Venice again next year for three days and we will get the three day ticket. We'll get to see all the things that we missed last year. :cool: Hint: if you want to do the "secret tour" of the Doge's palace, you have to reserve it in advance. Once you get there, it will be too late as it books up really fast.

Hi Dave,

I would recommend you contact our entertainment department who might be able to assist you with this further.

hal_entertainment@hollandamerica.com Note there is an underscore _ between hal and entertainment

Thanks M8 for the address. Just sent will let you know the reply appreciate the contact info. Cheers!

While I don't have photos of specific staterooms, here's a few rooms I might suggest as the deck plan makes them look (by comparison) a little wider...

Maasdam

A Deck

769, 773

Main Deck

548, 549, 565

Zaandam

With the exception of wheelchair accessible rooms, I'm not really aware of any rooms that are majorly different, although the category I rooms at the back of Navigation Deck technically do have windows (obstructed by stairs, but still...)

Thanks Dutch. Just trying to figure out the best way to swing 3 cruises in 2010. :o

Thanks Dutch. Just trying to figure out the best way to swing 3 cruises in 2010. :o

I can appreciate that. :)

In 2006 when I started with HAL I was on a total of 3 ships, in 2007 another 3, 2008 if you count ship tours led or participated in and cruises probably about half a dozen... more than I care to mention this year, and already making plans through 2011...

I can TOTALLY appreciate that :D

Wow I can’t believe I finally finished reading all your responses in this thread in just two settings.

You have great patience to continue to answer the same question over and over.

Why the secret? Just what is your position with HAL besides promotion of their product?

I am booked October 16th on HAL’s 28 day Ft. Lauderdale San Diego Ft Lauderdale cruise. What is a good guess regarding the percentage of one way passengers on this cruise?

Do we have to disembark in San Diego?

Will HAL medical have flu shots on board?

…And to those knocking Carnival. My favorite ship in the whole world is what ever ship I find myself on.

Carnival is fun.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

314 days at sea

27 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

Holland America Statendam Oct 16th 28 nights

Carnival 7 nights Christmas 09

DutchByAssociation:

It is nice to see you on CC. Have you as a friend on facebook and just looked at some of your blogs. They are great. We just booked a cruise on the Eurodam Oct. 24, 2009. Loved the pictures of the Eurodam and the Veendam. Have been on the Veendam twice and can't wait until Aug. 22, 2009 to be on her again. This time we have one of the Lanai cabins.

All Holland America ships and crews are the best.

Keep up the good work.

Only line we will cruise with.

Archived