A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hi Dutch can you please let me know a bit about the wine sommelier package on Hal from on board gifts section I am planing to order it how much is it for a couple ? does it included that the wine will be served in the dining room will there be a cork fee ? or not when you pre-order the wine sommelier package ?

hoping to hear from somebody that had had that before

thank you in advance:)

Hi Dutch can you please let me know a bit about the wine sommelier package on Hal from on board gifts section I am planing to order it how much is it for a couple ? does it included that the wine will be served in the dining room will there be a cork fee ? or not when you pre-order the wine sommelier package ?

I would recommend either calling ship services (they do the gift orders) or start a thread in the main forum that asks about the package.

I can assure you though, that there is NEVER a corkage fee for bottles bought onboard the ship.

Really looking forward to our Panama Canal cruise and have heard such GREAT things about HAL. I have booked a VE cabin (5073) on the Veranda deck on the Zuiderdam and from the pictures of the ship, while the life boats won't actually block the view, it looks like they will be a big part of what we see when we look off the balcony. Before I booked, I specifically asked if they are 'in your face' and was assured by HAL that they only extend about 2 feet beyond our balcony and won't pose a problem. Can you reassure me that I'll see something other than big orange boats?

Love that you are posting here.

Really looking forward to our Panama Canal cruise and have heard such GREAT things about HAL. I have booked a VE cabin (5073) on the Veranda deck on the Zuiderdam and from the pictures of the ship, while the life boats won't actually block the view, it looks like they will be a big part of what we see when we look off the balcony. Before I booked, I specifically asked if they are 'in your face' and was assured by HAL that they only extend about 2 feet beyond our balcony and won't pose a problem. Can you reassure me that I'll see something other than big orange boats?

Love that you are posting here.

These ought to give you an idea. If you can live with the fact then when you look straight down you cannot seewhere the water touches the ship, you'll be just fine!

DSCN1544.jpg.4112351b0052bb8dcee8ec6e5453372f.jpg

DSCN1545.jpg.532b02d63fbc1188d88da6c9378e63d0.jpg

DSCN1546.jpg.2c80bea70d55562404d3697f8dfaec47.jpg

DSCN1547.jpg.95890677e577663b4190b6a1f1c3105e.jpg

We booked the sommelier package and will enjoy it. (outlined in the brochure) but there is a navigator package which you can have in room / dining room and there is NO corkage fee. free pinnacle grill dinner(s) depending on the length of your cruise along with wine tasting & a few other goodies. The price is not on line. I had to call on board gifts. It depends on the cruise, the length and all that stuff. When are you going to Panama? We are going in April on the Zuiderdam too. If you want, I can update you on this when we return from Europe. I have always found the gifts I book (but I don't book them all, usually wine related) are of fair value. hope this helps. Jacqui

We booked the sommelier package and will enjoy it. (outlined in the brochure) but there is a navigator package which you can have in room / dining room and there is NO corkage fee. free pinnacle grill dinner(s) depending on the length of your cruise along with wine tasting & a few other goodies. The price is not on line. I had to call on board gifts. It depends on the cruise, the length and all that stuff. When are you going to Panama? We are going in April on the Zuiderdam too. If you want, I can update you on this when we return from Europe. I have always found the gifts I book (but I don't book them all, usually wine related) are of fair value. hope this helps. Jacqui

thank you so much for your reply please update me after your cruise

Wow! :( Your post to Dutch is quite disrespectful..I agree with others who say that Dutch has been very informative a helpful..

....I was in no way disrespectful...I did not critique Dutch's capabilities or talent. I did say that one John Heald is more than enough. as someone who used to cruise many Carnival brands before Carnival bought them Carnival's "business model" has been the reason I have gone elsewhere for years. I do not want to hear about bodily functions or passing gas from my cruise director. I want information about my cruise...

You state you are hesitant about traveling with a Carnival Cruise line Company..From several of your posts, I gather you have cruised on Princess, Costa & Cunard, which all fall under the Carnival Corporation Umbrella..If I'm mistaken, I apologize..

....I cruised Carnival brands before Carnival...well..Carnivalized all of them.

Perhaps you should take a look at Carnival Corporation History, before making a such rash statements..

Rash statements? What rash statements? I expressed my opinion...I made no personal attacks at all. I am a prior passenger of HAL..having cruised the old Statendam, Volendam, Veendam, Nieuw Amsterdam and the Rotterdam. Mr. Arison said the old Rotterdam could not be made solas complaint but her new owners Premier did manage to do so (and Premier was a bargain line and if they could do it Carnival could have, they didn't want to). That was the begining of the end of my relationship with HAL. As far as being autonomous the brands as I discovered share a great deal, desingers, builders, equipment and operations. As far as Mr. Farcus not being with HAL..he did work on the Rotterdam which was later removed in a pushed refit of the ship. Another vessel recived a wall of Delft tile which did not go over well and was covered up. I travelled with Costa, Cunard and P&O many times before they were acquired..I don't now as it is hard to tell the ships apart. Part of the magic of HAL was the ambience and for awhile I thought it was gone..too commercial.

HAL as all other Carnival Corporation brands are autonomous & unique lines which cater to different demographics, even though they fall under the Carnival Corporation, PLC umbrella.

Not as much as one would like to think...I do not consider Carnival a quality company and have wrestled with I can return to a Carnival brand. I'd like to..HAL seems the least Carnivalized..and while I respect those who have travelled with the company now. I am a former passenger who knows where it was...and there is a great deal lost from the old HAL. I go back to the days when one could go to 2 Penn Plaza in NY and visit the HAL offices and book a cruise.

So there was no personal attack intended..not do I feel I did one. A blog a la Heald style is not something I would ever equate with HAL...it isn't fitting and one is more than enough.

So looking at the above I believe there's a compliment in there somewhere? ;)

Everyone has their own style, and mine happens to be a little more subdued. And for the record, while I have found myself laughing out loud at many of Mr. Heald's posts, I can easily say he shares far more than I would be willing to :D

As I said before, everyone is welcome to their own opinions and I would hope that this isn't a topic that blows up on this thread as that is not why I created it :)

Complaining becomes a way of cruising for many old timers…

My favorite ship in the world is what ever one I find myself on..

Just get me away from shore at a good price and I am a happy camper.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

314 days at sea

27 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Booked

Carnival Facination 5 days September 14th

Holland America Statendam Oct 16th 28 nights

Carnival 7 nights Christmas 09

Dutch, keep up the good work.

Just a simple word to everyone, ignore this poster called Savoia. It seems this person posts every now and then on the boards for the Carnival-owned lines and constantly writes about the same topic over and over and over.....always about how they will never sail on a Carnival owned ship and how unimaginative the brands are using the same business model. Quite frankly this is a one topic poster. No one needs to respond or worst yet........keep it going. I've alerted the powers that be to the pattern and leave it up to them to decide what to do.

Dutch, continue to report on the ins and outs of HAL. Opinions are just that and everyone has them. You have a purpose and it sounds like a growing fan base.:D

David

2 HAL sailings to date. Second would have been fantastic if I didn't come down with bronchitis. :( Believe me, it was the weather and not the ship.

Dutch,

I'll be sailing on the Westerdam from Seattle on September 20th. I'd like to know if there are any other places to eat lunch besides the Lido? I don't like buffets and especially on embarkation day it seems to be a zoo. Is the dining room open for lunch and/or is the grill open outside for hamburgers/hot dogs? Is room service available for lunch?

Thanks.

Dutch,

I'll be sailing on the Westerdam from Seattle on September 20th. I'd like to know if there are any other places to eat lunch besides the Lido? I don't like buffets and especially on embarkation day it seems to be a zoo. Is the dining room open for lunch and/or is the grill open outside for hamburgers/hot dogs? Is room service available for lunch?

Thanks.

Hey there.

First off, the Lido runs quite a bit smoother with the new trayless system. The lines move quicker and as a result don't tend to be as long. ALso, if you're on within the first hour or so of boarding there usually won't be an issue finding a table. (Don't forget there is also poolside seating at the Lido and Aft pools.)

The Terrace Grill (burgers/hot dogs, etc) is absolutely open at embark. I usually forget about the nacho bar until I'm already full :( (On days where I tour a ship this is devastating... on a 7 day cruise I have 13 more meals where I can take advantage of this :D)

Main dining room is usually open for lunch on the Vista Class ships. I believe it's a smaller window of time though. Maybe about an hour and a half if I recall correctly.

Room service I would imagine is available once the rooms are available (usually between 1 and 2pm, there will be an announcement)

Hope that helps!

Hey there.

First off, the Lido runs quite a bit smoother with the new trayless system. The lines move quicker and as a result don't tend to be as long. ALso, if you're on within the first hour or so of boarding there usually won't be an issue finding a table. (Don't forget there is also poolside seating at the Lido and Aft pools.)

The Terrace Grill (burgers/hot dogs, etc) is absolutely open at embark. I usually forget about the nacho bar until I'm already full :( (On days where I tour a ship this is devastating... on a 7 day cruise I have 13 more meals where I can take advantage of this :D)

Main dining room is usually open for lunch on the Vista Class ships. I believe it's a smaller window of time though. Maybe about an hour and a half if I recall correctly.

Room service I would imagine is available once the rooms are available (usually between 1 and 2pm, there will be an announcement)

Hope that helps!

Hope that helps? What a question? You are fabulous! Thanks for your all encompassing and very quick response to my question. I'm so excited to be back on another Vista Class ship again. I used to live in Seattle and would watch the departure from a small park on a hill in Ballard, where I lived. What a view from up there!

David

Dutch,

Thanks.

On the Westerdam the dining room was open for lunch from Noon and until 1 PM on embarkation day (we sailed on her April/May).

The Grill for hamburgers/hot dogs also opens at 11:30 just like the Lido buffet/ Both areas fill up quickly and people do NOT like to vacate their tables knowing that their cabins won't be ready until 1:30 or so as they have no place to go. This has always been the case on all the ships we have been on -- which is quite a few.

Room service will be very slow on embarkation day as the crew have so much extra to do -- getting luggage to the cabins.

Archived