A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

I've got this... do you think this will be enough protection? :D

Solid!:cool:

John (Copper 10)

I'm heading out to the army/navy store right now to get ready for the Lido!!!

But I really try to avoid it except for the ice cream in the afternoon.

Buy some MRE's there just in case!;)

Thank you DBA for all of your wonderful efforts!

The joy of the DBA post is that he honestly answers questions about HAL and its' ships. After reviewing the past few pages of this thread, it seems that posters have used this thread to address issues rather than ask important and interesting questions of DBA. That is unfortunate. Just my opinion, and not a complaint about DBA, just those of us that do the postings. Some things are just not worth responding to. Can we stay on point and use the service DBA is providing?

Hi DBA,

may I ask a question on staterooms? We usually book deluxe verandahs. I was told that the SB category (ie 7088) are nicer and bigger than the SA's. They apparently have a wrap around deck. I booked an SA for the Panama and am wondering if I should be looking at SB? or is this just talk? thank you Jacqui

Sad news indeed! I will be packing a tray on two for any booked HAL cruises after May 1st.!

for breakfast i have a ritual on board ship. first i get my coffee I take a tray place coffee on tray. ( if put it at empty table sometimes gone when i return) find a warm plate place ice cold butter on it. (allows butter to warm to make spreadable) then go to find where they keep the fresh bread slices. (usually have toast laying about.) then go get another plate to put potates and bacon on it. then go and get my fryed eggs that are made to order.

now with removal of the trays that will mean the plates won't be warm, there fore my butter won't melt, and my butter will poke holes im my fresh bread. my coffee will only be able to fill half fun, so i don't spill it, then need to run to coffee station to do a refill, while half way threw my breakfast will go cold because the plates won't be warm. I do like ketchup is that in packets i can put in my pocket or do you pour your own in those tiny cups?

For soup? carry by hand, assuming the soup is hot, a very likely change that i might spill overand burn one hands, then a good change of it being dropped.

My 2 cents worth its a mistake to remove the trays.

I know there is no question in there sorry.

Hi DBA,

may I ask a question on staterooms? We usually book deluxe verandahs. I was told that the SB category (ie 7088) are nicer and bigger than the SA's. They apparently have a wrap around deck. I booked an SA for the Panama and am wondering if I should be looking at SB? or is this just talk? thank you Jacqui

I'm not DBA, but I may have some input for you.

On Vista Class, there are 6 SB's on Deck 6 midship, near the glass elevators. These are just about identical in size and layout to the SAs, but further from the Neptune Lounge.

There are also 4 SBs on the stern corners ... two each on Decks 7 and 8. These have large wrap balconies, but the cabins themselves are slightly smaller than the SAs, and it's quite a trek to the Neptune.

Additionally, there are two SBs (7088 and 7093) on the "hump" on Deck 7. These have a jagged-shape balcony that permits side and angled-front viewing. I've read conflicting reports on their size ... that they are equivalent to or smaller than the SAs. What I do know is that the balconies can be windy when the ship is underway (due to the angle).

There are a total of six SCs, two each on the aft corners of Decks 4,5,6, that have the large wrap balconies, and the cabins themselves are smaller than the SAs.

SC also has two handicapable cabins on Deck 6 on the stern, not in the corners. These are larger than the corner SCs but the balcony is smaller than the corner SCs.

There are those who can discuss with great detail the differences between each of these cabins. My thoughts are that they're all great, since they have the suite benefits, and the choice depends on the individual and the itinerary. We chose corner stern SBs and SCs for Panama Canal cruising, and midship SBs for transatlantic.

Hi Dutch. Really enjoying reading these posts, I have learned alot from your responses. I have 2 questions.

1) Will be on the Westerdam in Dec/09 for my 50th birthday. Have 16 people coming and all have booked thru different agents etc. How can I coordinate all of us together for Dining purposes, is this possible who would I contact.

2) Was on the Westerdam in Feb/07, has anything changed since then, has it been in drydock for upgrades or is it scheduled for anything new prior to Dec/09.

Thanks

I feel horrible as I missed this question from a couple weeks back. The CC member was kind enough to ask via my email account on gmail (see my sig) and asked again. Here's a copy of the answer I just typed for anyone else that may have been curious.

Hi Rick,

My apologies as I recall the questions and think I might have missed them since I don't recall answering. So, with much unintended delay, here you go:

1) First off, congrats on the upcoming landmark birthday. You can contact our Ship Services Department and ask for a group dining form. If you can make sure to have all the names in the bookings and the Holland America Line booking number (a lot of agencies use their own internal booking number... these will likely start with a 9 (possibly an 8 if you made these a long time ago) and be a combination of numbers and letters, 6 characters long). You'll have instructions on how to submit the form and they can handle the request from there. Unless you or your agent prefers, this is something you can do directly with us, you don't have to go through your agency like on your booking financials). Open Dining with 2 tables is an option as well, but I would recommend the group dining request.

2)There was a dry dock later in the spring of 2007. Among the changes

were a few extra staterooms at the very aft of the ship (not such a slope, more stacked like Eurodam now), the Erasmus Library was turned into the Microsoft Digital Workshop, the Internet Center is now some higher end jewelry and a Merabella boutique, The rest of the shops that were existing also received a considerable facelift. Windstar Cafe (coffee cafe) was turned into the Pinnacle Bar which primarily focuses on wine. The library, internet and coffee was all turned into the Explorations Cafe which is located on the starboard side of the Crow's Nest. I think that's the majority... of course any necessary refreshes (carpet, etc) were handled at that time as well. The next dry dock is slated for I believe (don't have my list in front of me at home) March/April 2010 and will be more general in nature with the main exception being the addition of Canaletto which debuted on the Eurodam coming to the Lido Restaurant in the evenings.

Sorry again for the delay. I'm not sure how I might have missed answering you. I hope this is all helpful to you.

Have a splendid birthday cruise aboard Westerdam!

DBA

PS- I'm also going to find this post as I believe you put it on the thread where people ask me everything that is over 800 replies, and post this on there for anyone else who might have been waiting for an answer.

Hi DBA,

The corner suites on Vista and Signature class offer a great compromise, depending on what is most important to you.

Category SC (entirely) and SB (mostly) are located in the aft corners of decks 4-8 and have larger wrap around balconies, however are more similar in size to the Superior Suites and accommodate 3, not 4 people. You of course still get all of the Deluxe Suite amenities. The SB's that are midship on other decks (varies by ship) and the SA's are a larger room with a still large (but not quite as) balcony and can accommodate 4. These rooms (SA) are also VERY close to the Neptune Lounge.

So it just depends on what your biggest desires are for your room on this cruise!

Copper: A French diplomat once said that God gave men tongues so they could hide their thoughts.

PS: This is my first attempt at using "quote." If it doesn't come out well, I'm sorry.

Good job, Pettifogger, came out fine!:)

An optimist will tell you the glass is half-full; the pessimist, half-empty; and the engineer will tell you the glass is twice the size it needs to be

Hello,

I was wondering where I could find out who the CD will be on Westerdam on 3 Jan sailing. Kerry Watkins was CD on our last cruise and we thought he was great.

Thanks!

Alice

03 JAN 10 is still too far out. CD's don't work as long a contract as Capt's and HM's, mevrouw de patat eter;)

I'm not DBA, but I may have some input for you.

On Vista Class, there are 6 SB's on Deck 6 midship, near the glass elevators. These are just about identical in size and layout to the SAs, but further from the Neptune Lounge.

There are also 4 SBs on the stern corners ... two each on Decks 7 and 8. These have large wrap balconies, but the cabins themselves are slightly smaller than the SAs, and it's quite a trek to the Neptune.

Additionally, there are two SBs (7088 and 7093) on the "hump" on Deck 7. These have a jagged-shape balcony that permits side and angled-front viewing. I've read conflicting reports on their size ... that they are equivalent to or smaller than the SAs. What I do know is that the balconies can be windy when the ship is underway (due to the angle).

There are a total of six SCs, two each on the aft corners of Decks 4,5,6, that have the large wrap balconies, and the cabins themselves are smaller than the SAs.

SC also has two handicapable cabins on Deck 6 on the stern, not in the corners. These are larger than the corner SCs but the balcony is smaller than the corner SCs.

There are those who can discuss with great detail the differences between each of these cabins. My thoughts are that they're all great, since they have the suite benefits, and the choice depends on the individual and the itinerary. We chose corner stern SBs and SCs for Panama Canal cruising, and midship SBs for transatlantic.

Sounds like you've been in them all. thanks so much for all of your help. Jacqui

The corner suites on Vista and Signature class offer a great compromise, depending on what is most important to you.

Category SC (entirely) and SB (mostly) are located in the aft corners of decks 4-8 and have larger wrap around balconies, however are more similar in size to the Superior Suites and accommodate 3, not 4 people. You of course still get all of the Deluxe Suite amenities. The SB's that are midship on other decks (varies by ship) and the SA's are a larger room with a still large (but not quite as) balcony and can accommodate 4. These rooms (SA) are also VERY close to the Neptune Lounge.

So it just depends on what your biggest desires are for your room on this cruise!

thanks so much DBA - appreciate the info. I had been told by a HAL employee that the 7088 room was very nice. It's booked for Europe so not too much I can do now - sailing in 3 weeks. I guess until I see it I wll stay with my SA class in the Panama in April. I don't mind walking to the Neptune lounge but I didn't think it was a smaller room. O h well, we have a nice balcony. can't be too bad on the med. thanks again. Jacqui

Hi Cooper I asked a bit ago and you said to check back later:

Do you Know who the CD is on Oct 4th 2009 Sailing on the Zaandam

Thanks M8

Just found out Friday...

Michelle Worthley will be the Cruise Director for this cruise. She comes on 9/25, will be on for a month and then Michael Headla will return.

Hi Dutch,

We were looking at your photos of the Westerdam, particularly the cabin photos. We couldn't find any photos of the Inside or Oceanview cabins. Was this just an oversight?

I think that was a misjudgment on my part. I assumed that since I had seen the rooms, everyone else was familiar with them too.

I did some posts quite a while ago though that give an introduction to stateroom types... Please note that "Vista/Signature interior rooms, can also be shaped more like those on S/R class... and only category J and K on MAIN DECK on these ships are the large configuration I have shown.)

Here they are for you:

Interior (order of pictures is S/R class, Vista, Signature)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_8532.html

Oceanview (order of pictures is S/R class, Vista, Signature)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_1778.html

Verandah Staterooms/Verandah Suites (order of pictures is S/R class, Vista, Signature)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_1142.html

Superior Suites (Vista configuration shown)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_1022.html

Deluxe Verandah Suites (order of pictures is S/R class, Vista, Signature... followed by a picture of Neptune Lounge on Vista Class)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_22.html

Penthouse (Vista configuration shown, but S/R class can be found on other pages in my blog)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom.html

Just found out Friday...

Michelle Worthley will be the Cruise Director for this cruise. She comes on 9/25, will be on for a month and then Michael Headla will return.

Thanks Dutch, I was able to get In touch with ship's Services On Friday with this information. They gave me A contact at HO in Seattle. I e-mailed this person on Friday afternoon. Hopefully they will get back to me early next week. I will let you know what happens in a privet e-mail. Thanks again m8.

Dave

I think that was a misjudgment on my part. I assumed that since I had seen the rooms, everyone else was familiar with them too.

I did some posts quite a while ago though that give an introduction to stateroom types... Please note that "Vista/Signature interior rooms, can also be shaped more like those on S/R class... and only category J and K on MAIN DECK on these ships are the large configuration I have shown.)

Here they are for you:

Interior (order of pictures is S/R class, Vista, Signature)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_8532.html

Oceanview (order of pictures is S/R class, Vista, Signature)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_1778.html

Verandah Staterooms/Verandah Suites (order of pictures is S/R class, Vista, Signature)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_1142.html

Superior Suites (Vista configuration shown)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_1022.html

Deluxe Verandah Suites (order of pictures is S/R class, Vista, Signature... followed by a picture of Neptune Lounge on Vista Class)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom_22.html

Penthouse (Vista configuration shown, but S/R class can be found on other pages in my blog)

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2009/01/holland-america-line-stateroom.html

Hi Dutch,

Thank you for the pictures. We will be in an Oceanview on the Westerdam. It looks like we might be able to scoot our 22 inch cases under the bed, if there is room on either side of the bed as shown. It was hard to tell from the pics on the HAL website.

Hi Dutch,

Thank you for the pictures. We will be in an Oceanview on the Westerdam. It looks like we might be able to scoot our 22 inch cases under the bed, if there is room on either side of the bed as shown. It was hard to tell from the pics on the HAL website.

There are drawers at the feet of the bed, but the rest of it is empty underneath. Your suitcases ought to fit just fine.

Hey Dutch, a quickie!

No Lanai cabins during Ryndam's FEB 10 dry-dock? Just the cabin upgrades, the Mix bar, Showroom at Sea, Canaletto, Merabella and other public area enhancements such as carpeting, etc.?

Lanai's are part of the second series of drydocks in 2012 and 2013 plus the infamous Retreat pool/Slice/LED screen, new staterooms on the stern where the Seaview pool was and the spa staterooms forward?

Is that the latest and greatest?

I haven't sailed on HAL since 2007. My wife and family are sailing on the Eurodam on her 11/28 sailing. What channels does HAL show in its staterooms and what can they get in the sportsbar? I understand that HAL does not have ESPN which is a shame. We are into college football. Any response would be appreciated.

Bob:)

Archived