A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hey Dutch, a quickie!

No Lanai cabins during Ryndam's FEB 10 dry-dock? Just the cabin upgrades, the Mix bar, Showroom at Sea, Canaletto, Merabella and other public area enhancements such as carpeting, etc.?

Lanai's are part of the second series of drydocks in 2012 and 2013 plus the infamous Retreat pool/Slice/LED screen, new staterooms on the stern where the Seaview pool was and the spa staterooms forward?

Is that the latest and greatest?

Totally correct Copper.

I haven't sailed on HAL since 2007. My wife and family are sailing on the Eurodam on her 11/28 sailing. What channels does HAL show in its staterooms and what can they get in the sportsbar? I understand that HAL does not have ESPN which is a shame. We are into college football. Any response would be appreciated.

Bob:)

The ship will have ESPN International

I haven't sailed on HAL since 2007. My wife and family are sailing on the Eurodam on her 11/28 sailing. What channels does HAL show in its staterooms and what can they get in the sportsbar? I understand that HAL does not have ESPN which is a shame. We are into college football. Any response would be appreciated.

I was on the Eurodam last Nov. and we got the NFL games on Sunday (broadcast on Fox and CBS and these stations are not part of the onboard line up). I wasn't watching TV on Saturday but you may be able to get the college games shown in the Sports Bar (and maybe even your room). They were showing soccer in there when it was time for the NFL games to start and several of us asked them to change the channel to football. A uniformed guy opened some "secret door" in the back of the Sports Bar and fiddled around in there on some electronic panels that apparently caused the channels to magically change to the ones we desired. It was a miracle, I tell you. :D

My point is that they are capable of getting more channels than they show in your room. Ask and you may be pleasantly surprised with the miraculous :) channel changes I experienced. The NFL games were also broadcast in rooms after the change so it appears to be a shipwide change of reception. After the games ended, broadcasting resumed its normal lineup.

Good luck!

Diane

Bob, here's HAL's typical TV channel line-up:

Channel 26 On Board Channel

Channel 27 CNN International

Channel 28 Shorex Souvenir movie/DVD Promo

Channel 29 ESPN International

Channel 30 Discovery Channel

Channel 31 Turner Network Television (TNT) movies/series/sports

Channel 32 Boomerang (Kids cartoons)

Channel 33 Explorations (Culinary Arts/Exploration Speakers)

Channel 34 Movies 1

Channel 35 Movies 2

Channel 36 HAL Film Festival (Movies, Crew Show + Disembarkation Talk)

Channel 38 Port & Shopping Information

Channel 39 Turner Classic Movies (TCM)

Channel 40 Ship, Weather & Port Information

Channel 41 In-Cabin Channel Guide

Channel 42 Music 1

Channel 43 Music 2

Channel 44 Bridge Cam

Channel 45 HAL Promo Channel

There are drawers at the feet of the bed, but the rest of it is empty underneath. Your suitcases ought to fit just fine.

Thanks, Dutch. That is what we did on the Eurodam earlier this year, but we were in a VA then. The bed arrangement in a VA is such that the bed sides appear to be more accessible than in an Oceanview.

question: I'm going on a 66 day cruise shortly. my tips are included in the price of the cruise. If i'm not happy with a persons service, can i adjust there tip and pass the money onto someone that has done some outstanding service threw the trip?

ie: my tips range around $1400.00 for the trip. can i ask that $400.00 be transfered to the room steward? for example.

question: I'm going on a 66 day cruise shortly. my tips are included in the price of the cruise. If i'm not happy with a persons service, can i adjust there tip and pass the money onto someone that has done some outstanding service threw the trip?

ie: my tips range around $1400.00 for the trip. can i ask that $400.00 be transfered to the room steward? for example.

I am not DBA, but I will tell you what happened to me and let him respond. I wanted to by pass the Maitre'd' because he ignored us the entire cruise until the last day and give the money to others. I was told that I could not transfer some money and would have to cut back and if I cut it back, then the others would be cut back, that I could not exclude one person. So, I guess caution has to be used. it wasn't worth the hassle to try to find everyone to give envelopes to because then I know the guys in thelaundry, etc. don't get any money so I had to let it go. But they wouldn't let me do it. I will let Dutch respond now with great interest as we are about to embark on our cruise in less than 3 weeks for 2 weeks in the Med. (no I don't use clocks or how many times I've cruised. Someday, I must do that, I guess) This is only my experience. haven't cruised in about 2 years, but about to do 2 in one and hopefully a third, so let' see what DBA says. all the best, Jacqui

Only reason i don't use a clock because i haven't figured out how to do it. its not tha important LOL I know when i'm leaving. Sept 27/09

As for showing our past cruises. I"m not good on dates and what cruise line. all i can say i have been on most of them over the past 30 years or so. some aren't even around no more. Been bought out by the giants of the industry.

Only one cruise i wasn't happy with the food. I figured out how to fix that. order something special, then it arrives hot.

I am not DBA, but I will tell you what happened to me and let him respond. I wanted to by pass the Maitre'd' because he ignored us the entire cruise until the last day and give the money to others. I was told that I could not transfer some money and would have to cut back and if I cut it back, then the others would be cut back, that I could not exclude one person. So, I guess caution has to be used. it wasn't worth the hassle to try to find everyone to give envelopes to because then I know the guys in thelaundry, etc. don't get any money so I had to let it go. But they wouldn't let me do it. I will let Dutch respond now with great interest as we are about to embark on our cruise in less than 3 weeks for 2 weeks in the Med. (no I don't use clocks or how many times I've cruised. Someday, I must do that, I guess) This is only my experience. haven't cruised in about 2 years, but about to do 2 in one and hopefully a third, so let' see what DBA says. all the best, Jacqui

Maitre'd' First time we cruised, got to see him twice first day to introduce himself, and the last day with his hand out. but he did have gimick that worked. He sold the weeks menu, each one had the date on them. The days when there weren't generic. so we paid him the 15.00 he wanted. Just threw them out last year. My mistake I could have sold them on ebay and doubled my money LOL

I'm not DBA either ... but my understanding is that if one reduces or eliminates the Hotel Service Charge, any crew/staff receiving cash tips from passengers who do so (reduce/eliminate) are required, per their employment contract, to turn all cash tips in to the pool. So, eliminating the tip and handing out $100 cash to several crew/staff means that all those $100 cash tips will be divided equally amonst all who share in the tip pool. Therefore, the worthy recipient receives only a small part of that $100 cash tip. That's what I've been told about cash tips vs reducing/eliminating the Hotel Service Charge.

Most of the staff is usually like to phone there family back home, I thought that I would buy some international phone cards and give to the deserving few. They really can't share that with others. It's an idea i'm thinking about so I can give to the one's that i truly appreciate.

Most of the staff is usually like to phone there family back home, I thought that I would buy some international phone cards and give to the deserving few. They really can't share that with others. It's an idea i'm thinking about so I can give to the one's that i truly appreciate.

What a really good idea. What a great extra tip for those that provide the service and you're right, It can't be shared. It's a gift nearly, not a tip. Thanks so much for a great suggestion. Jacqui

I would speak to the World Cruise department about this. There are a lot of specifics to these longer voyages and unfortunately I have never worked in that department and as such I'm not familiar with the specifics of a question like that. I don't want to give you "bad" information.

Was just talking to the wife she used to work in restraunts where they pooled the tips. If your gift has a monitory value then the Value has to be paid into the pool bye the recipient

eg Value $20.00 for gift card then the person has to put $20.00 cash into the pool.

Might be a bad idea if they do that.

my friends are Canadian and sailing out of seatle on the 27th for 67 day cruise. my friends have the luggage door to ship service. first the fedex luggage tags arrived late, they arrived today blank nothing filled in. except that they would be taken to vancouver. pickup is scheduled for next tuesday. I was able to help them fill out the approiate information needed. Our tags came fully completed.

With a phone call to HAL the person appoligized to them and said it was an oversite that they didn't inform them there luggage wouldn't be loaded until they reached Vancouver. The hall representive said there wasn't many passengers from Canada starting in seatle and the paper work was very complicated for such a few for them to do. But offered to send the documents for our friends to fillout if they really needed the luggage to arrive in seatle.

If its really complicated to do, how well would our friends do filling them out. they are in there 70's

Odds are the blank documents wouldn't arrive till after there luggage had already left.

This is there first cruise ever, and have been panicing since Monday (when luggage tags were to arrive) then to find out they wouldn't have there luggage.

I was able to calm then down and reasure them everything will be looked after. We told them to take a change of cloths in the carry on.

Bad first inpression of Holland America in my view.

I think they should be compensated with something for the panic Hal has caused them. They are spending over $28000.00 for this trip. and Hal can't get there luggage to Seatle?

Now the question. What do you think they should ask for as in compensation? A dinner for two at the pinnicle grill or a spa for 2? or something different. As an appoligy from Hal for the inconvience.

And who should I talk to discuss it.

Your guidance would be appreicated.

Hi DBA. Do you know if you can use the Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam on the day we sail? It would be nice to be able to go up there after boarding and lunch. I wasn't going to spend the $$ for a weekly rental but then just found out I'm getting some $$ I wasn't expecting so might book a family cabana. It just sounds wonderful.

Hi Dutch,

We thought that you were the only one from HAL that actually posted on these threads, but we recently saw the post from Sarah_from_HAL (a HAL PR person) on the new Mariner program thread. She really made the medallion people happy. Way to go HAL. :cool:

my friends are Canadian and sailing out of seatle on the 27th for 67 day cruise. my friends have the luggage door to ship service. first the fedex luggage tags arrived late, they arrived today blank nothing filled in. except that they would be taken to vancouver. pickup is scheduled for next tuesday. I was able to help them fill out the approiate information needed. Our tags came fully completed.

With a phone call to HAL the person appoligized to them and said it was an oversite that they didn't inform them there luggage wouldn't be loaded until they reached Vancouver. The hall representive said there wasn't many passengers from Canada starting in seatle and the paper work was very complicated for such a few for them to do. But offered to send the documents for our friends to fillout if they really needed the luggage to arrive in seatle.

If its really complicated to do, how well would our friends do filling them out. they are in there 70's

Odds are the blank documents wouldn't arrive till after there luggage had already left.

This is there first cruise ever, and have been panicing since Monday (when luggage tags were to arrive) then to find out they wouldn't have there luggage.

I was able to calm then down and reasure them everything will be looked after. We told them to take a change of cloths in the carry on.

Bad first inpression of Holland America in my view.

I think they should be compensated with something for the panic Hal has caused them. They are spending over $28000.00 for this trip. and Hal can't get there luggage to Seatle?

Now the question. What do you think they should ask for as in compensation? A dinner for two at the pinnicle grill or a spa for 2? or something different. As an appoligy from Hal for the inconvience.

And who should I talk to discuss it.

Your guidance would be appreicated.

Hi Warren1,

I think the best bet is to ask to speak with either the lead or supervisor in the World Cruise department, and go from there. But I think it is likely to be much more effective if they call themselves, rather than have the story start with "Friends of mine..."

I know the World Cruise department's supervisor somewhat well and have no doubt that she directly or through her team will be able to make this right.

That department is open from (I believe 6am-5pm PT)

Hi DBA. Do you know if you can use the Retreat Cabana on the Eurodam on the day we sail? It would be nice to be able to go up there after boarding and lunch. I wasn't going to spend the $$ for a weekly rental but then just found out I'm getting some $$ I wasn't expecting so might book a family cabana. It just sounds wonderful.

I believe you can get one on embarkation day, but know that your choices will be dependent on if anything is available or if they have all been booked for the week ahead of time.

Hi Dutch,

We thought that you were the only one from HAL that actually posted on these threads, but we recently saw the post from Sarah_from_HAL (a HAL PR person) on the new Mariner program thread. She really made the medallion people happy. Way to go HAL. :cool:

Sarah is a fantastic person. She's been my "point person" many times in PR if I've needed to ask a question, etc about something I might want to post on my blog if it might be borderline okay in terms of "advance info"

I knew a few people were looking into possibilities, and it was great seeing her posts this morning.

I believe you can get one on embarkation day, but know that your choices will be dependent on if anything is available or if they have all been booked for the week ahead of time.

I'm sorry DBA I didn't really ask that right. If I book one for the week ahead of time then can you use it on the day of emabarkation. I've seen a couple different responses to this question. Thank you!!

Hi, DBA

I, too, would like to know about the new Embarkation Brunch: on embarkation day or later during the cruise?

Do you know how many Silver and Gold Medallion holder there are? We have been told there are about 25 President's Club and 200 Platinum.

Our cruise is listed as the first for our ship to begin the new program. Will we recieve our already-earned star pins?

Thanks for all you do and congratulations on a great new progam.

SilvertoGold

Archived