A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Well it's official I have my new countdown clock...Now I know you can't pick your retreat Cabana, but which one would you choose, corner, aft,sides? Just so I can at least give my preference..I've read somewhere that some have glass on the sides and that they are not as breezy?

Well it's official I have my new countdown clock...Now I know you can't pick your retreat Cabana, but which one would you choose, corner, aft,sides? Just so I can at least give my preference..I've read somewhere that some have glass on the sides and that they are not as breezy?

Congrats on the new countdown clock!

The corner cabanas are priced differently and offer more space and a max capacity of 4. Of the others, I think I would want one with more fresh air flow, so if I didn't have a corner I would personally grab one of the ones that overlooks the Lido Pool and Silk Den.

Check out these links for some pictures of a few of the Cabanas on the Eurodam:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19300167#post19300167

http://agent.aaamidatlantic.com/whatsnew/images/072308%20Eurodam%20cabanas%202008%20eff%20%20071808.pdf

Lower

The Open Seatting dining is always on the lower level of the dining room -- it has more seating capacity than the upper level.

Thank you so much for your quick replies. Greatly appreciated...sweet sweet...

Where can I go to find out info on the Noordam.

Is deck 1 the lowest deck on the ship.

I have cabin K1113.

Is it near engine room noise.

I was told it was below the dining room entrance would there be a lot of noise for this room.

This is my 20th cruise on Holland Line I love this line.

Thanks

Peggydee

I was hoping to have HMC all to ourselves..I never even gave other cruise ships a thought but I have just checked the dock schedule for that day and port and there are two DAM ships in..now please tell me that will be over 4,000 people for 18 or 15 cabanas...when in the world do they start selling those cabanas on both ship's web sites...how fast do you have to be to get one.:eek:..will this tiny island be so overcrowded it will ruin the experience? Does each ship have their own food prep and serve area...really confused about how all this will work...:confused:

Thanks

I was hoping to have HMC all to ourselves..
We were there with both the Noordam and Westerdam, and it really wasn't all that crowded, particularly far down the beach. A lot of people don't get off the ship, fearing that it will be too crowded, I guess. There is only one food prep and service area, and one ship's crew will do the food for both.

Likewise, the cabana sales are handled through Seattle for both ships. I don't know when they go on sale, but if I were you I would check frequently. :)

Hi DBA

Hate to bother you but maybe you or others who follow the posts know something so I will ask. We are sailing in two weeks (yes:)) on the Zuiderdam. The ship is nowhere being sold out. We are booked in Deluxe Verandahs and my friends in a Superior Verandah (SS) which was a guarantee but the room is assigned. If we want to be upgraded, is there a time when it is discounted or do we have to wait for the call from HAL and hope for the upgrade fairy. I would really like my friends to be able to go the Neptune Lounge & (dream:rolleyes:) the penthouse right now is empty (both:eek:), I'd prefer on the transatlantic, but if the price was right I would take it. Wouldn't you?) Any suggestions, hints, helps? or just pray.

Thanks DBA our next cruise is already so sold out of my favourite spots (in fact I had to fight to get an SB) that I am hoping this one could open the window of possiblities.

Anyone with any insights - appreciate the help. Thanks as always to all. Jacqui

Hi DBA

Hate to bother you but maybe you or others who follow the posts know something so I will ask. We are sailing in two weeks (yes:)) on the Zuiderdam. The ship is nowhere being sold out. We are booked in Deluxe Verandahs and my friends in a Superior Verandah (SS) which was a guarantee but the room is assigned. If we want to be upgraded, is there a time when it is discounted or do we have to wait for the call from HAL and hope for the upgrade fairy. I would really like my friends to be able to go the Neptune Lounge & (dream:rolleyes:) the penthouse right now is empty (both:eek:), I'd prefer on the transatlantic, but if the price was right I would take it. Wouldn't you?) Any suggestions, hints, helps? or just pray.

Thanks DBA our next cruise is already so sold out of my favourite spots (in fact I had to fight to get an SB) that I am hoping this one could open the window of possiblities.

Anyone with any insights - appreciate the help. Thanks as always to all. Jacqui

Hi jacqui,

I can't go into the specifics, but I WILL say that this sailng is A LOT more sold than you think. Keep in mind that because of the guarantees until the final week of sailing, it's possible to see nearly any category available even if every room in that category is specifically assigned to various people.

That said, you can do one of two things:

Wait for a call/wait for your TA to be called (if you booked through one)

or

Call Reservations (or your TA... you know the drill by now :)) and have them put you on hold, call Ship Inventory and ask if any "Special Paid Upgrades" are available. It might be a yes, might be a no... but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? :)

Regardless, have a WONDERFUL cruise!

Hi jacqui,

I can't go into the specifics, but I WILL say that this sailng is A LOT more sold than you think. Keep in mind that because of the guarantees until the final week of sailing, it's possible to see nearly any category available even if every room in that category is specifically assigned to various people.

That said, you can do one of two things:

Wait for a call/wait for your TA to be called (if you booked through one)

or

Call Reservations (or your TA... you know the drill by now :)) and have them put you on hold, call Ship Inventory and ask if any "Special Paid Upgrades" are available. It might be a yes, might be a no... but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? :)

Regardless, have a WONDERFUL cruise!

Thanks so much Dutch. I learned two things today. didn't realize that's why everything was still available. and thanks for the term. I've never called to see if upgrades are availalbe - just waited for HAL. thanks again. and we plan to have a very WONDERFUL cruise.:) Jacqui

DBA (...or anyone), do you know who to contact to set up a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on Holland America...and what is offered by HAL for a Meet & Greet? Thanks! Had a great CC group on a recent NCL cruise, and we had several officers, including the Captain, at the M&G. We had a private space and light refreshments (coffee/tea/cookies) for that event. I don't know if that is typical, however, as it was the first cruise on which I was associated with a CC Roll Call group.

DBA: There seems to be a lot of confusion about what is happening in Anchorage (on the 14-day Amsterdam). See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1039990) I know it's a new port of call. Is there going to be a shuttle to town (free or cost?)? Can taxis and other non-HAL excursion vendors pick up at the ship? Can we walk out of the port (understanding it is a fairly long walk to town)?

Thanks.

Alan

I was hoping to have HMC all to ourselves..I never even gave other cruise ships a thought but I have just checked the dock schedule for that day and port and there are two DAM ships in..now please tell me that will be over 4,000 people for 18 or 15 cabanas...when in the world do they start selling those cabanas on both ship's web sites...how fast do you have to be to get one.:eek:..will this tiny island be so overcrowded it will ruin the experience? Does each ship have their own food prep and serve area...really confused about how all this will work...:confused:

Thanks

Call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 to find out when the cabanas for your cruise will be availble. They will go quickly since you have 2 ships there the day you are there.

We have been to HMC with 2 ships. Yes -- it can get crowded. The worst area is the BBQ -- only one area for both ships -- and the lines do get long.

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 to find out when the cabanas for your cruise will be availble. They will go quickly since you have 2 ships there the day you are there.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]We have been to HMC with 2 ships. Yes -- it can get crowded. The worst area is the BBQ -- only one area for both ships -- and the lines do get long.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/quote]

Thank you for such an honest answer, I will at the very least I hope be able to get a clam shell. Now can you drag that clam shell and your chairs further down the island until it is not as crowded? Can you go back and forth via tender? We will be there from 8 - 4. Now say we get on the island at 9 or 10 a.m. ...explore, sit, enjoy, then go back to the ship via tender.at noon..then eat on the ship...go back for two hours or so and then finally re board your ship..can all that be done? Do the tenders go back and forth all day long? Does all of that sounds like a reasonable expectation?

Or can you have room service bring you something even fruit to take or bring say a sandwich that you might put together yourself..off the ship with you avoiding the area of the BBQ completely.:confused:

Thanks for all the quick replies..It is hard to picture how all this is done when you have never experienced it before.

[quote name='Cruisin Suzin']Thank you for such an honest answer, I will at the very least I hope be able to get a clam shell. Now can you drag that clam shell and your chairs further down the island until it is not as crowded? Can you go back and forth via tender? We will be there from 8 - 4. Now say we get on the island at 9 or 10 a.m. ...explore, sit, enjoy, then go back to the ship via tender.at noon..then eat on the ship...go back for two hours or so and then finally re board your ship..can all that be done? Do the tenders go back and forth all day long? Does all of that sounds like a reasonable expectation?

Or can you have room service bring you something even fruit to take or bring say a sandwich that you might put together yourself..off the ship with you avoiding the area of the BBQ completely.:confused:
[/quote]We don't get a clamshell (because we don't just stay in one place very long, or stay on the island very long) but I don't think the clamshells can be moved significantly. The best you can do is get one as far down the beach as possible.

You can go back and forth on the tenders as often as you like, until the last one leaves the island around 1/2 hour before sailing.

I believe there aren't any restrictions on bringing some food ashore, as all of the food for the BBQ comes from ship anyway.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam I would go back and eat lunch in the Tamarind if it is open ... and I think it will be. It was when we were there on the Eurodam ... and busy!

[quote name='northwest traveler']DBA (...or anyone), do you know who to contact to set up a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on Holland America...and what is offered by HAL for a Meet & Greet? Thanks! Had a great CC group on a recent NCL cruise, and we had several officers, including the Captain, at the M&G. We had a private space and light refreshments (coffee/tea/cookies) for that event. I don't know if that is typical, however, as it was the first cruise on which I was associated with a CC Roll Call group.[/quote]

I believe in the past people have contacted the Onboard Event Services (OES) department to arrange this. Not certain though. Honestly, I've never actually attended an official CC M&G

Archived