A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

[quote name='jtl513']We don't get a clamshell (because we don't just stay in one place very long, or stay on the island very long) but I don't think the clamshells can be moved significantly. The best you can do is get one as far down the beach as possible.

You can go back and forth on the tenders as often as you like, until the last one leaves the island around 1/2 hour before sailing.

I believe there aren't any restrictions on bringing some food ashore, as all of the food for the BBQ comes from ship anyway.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam I would go back and eat lunch in the Tamarind if it is open ... and I think it will be. It was when we were there on the Eurodam ... and busy![/quote]

Thanks that was my idea too to eat in the Tamarind...I'll make reservations for that afternoon..when we get on board. Sounds like a plan:) Thanks for all your help

[quote name='Cruisin Suzin']Thank you for such an honest answer, I will at the very least I hope be able to get a clam shell. Now can you drag that clam shell and your chairs further down the island until it is not as crowded? Can you go back and forth via tender? We will be there from 8 - 4. Now say we get on the island at 9 or 10 a.m. ...explore, sit, enjoy, then go back to the ship via tender.at noon..then eat on the ship...go back for two hours or so and then finally re board your ship..can all that be done? Do the tenders go back and forth all day long? Does all of that sounds like a reasonable expectation?

Or can you have room service bring you something even fruit to take or bring say a sandwich that you might put together yourself..off the ship with you avoiding the area of the BBQ completely.:confused:

Thanks for all the quick replies..It is hard to picture how all this is done when you have never experienced it before.[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The clam shells can not be moved -- they have metal rods that have set in the sand to keep them from blowing around in the wind.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Yes -- you can take your own food ashore here -- no restrictions.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The tenders run all day long -- HMC has 2 large tenders -- the Henry Hudson and the Anne Boline -- which are larger than the ship's tenders and can carry more people back and forth. There is also a small tender that is often used as well.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Keep in mind that the last tender will leave from HMC at 3:30.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

When two ships are there, as in your case, one will use their own tenders, which run oftener with fewer people each trip.

[quote name='DutchByAssociation']
I believe in the past people have contacted the Onboard Event Services (OES) department to arrange this. Not certain though. [/quote]Yes, call 877-885-4259 and "Please hold for the next available event coordinator"

:o[quote name='northwest traveler']DBA (...or anyone), do you know who to contact to set up a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet on Holland America...and what is offered by HAL for a Meet & Greet? Thanks! Had a great CC group on a recent NCL cruise, and we had several officers, including the Captain, at the M&G. We had a private space and light refreshments (coffee/tea/cookies) for that event. I don't know if that is typical, however, as it was the first cruise on which I was associated with a CC Roll Call group.[/quote]

Hi there,

I am doing two meet and greets for our upcoming cruises and HAL makes it very easy. Just call Onboard event services at 1-877-885-4259, make it clear that it is a no host event (you're not paying). HAL will gladly provide coffee, tea, water, glasses, cookies. and I would ask for a no host bar for those who want Bloody Caesars, etc. I understand there is a fee if HAL has to deliver the invitations. I print mine in advance and deliver them and am hoping that the Captain's and officer's will be delivered to them.

I read a lot of stuff on this board on how hard it is to do and how many forms are required. Talked to one person and it was done. (maybe that was the old days). I highly recommend that you do it. HAL always does a nice job on these things.

so, call, confirm and update your numbers before 30 days of the cruise. Don't believe the stuff I read that they don't want you to book early. From what I heard, they do want you to book early. :):)
Good luck - I'm pretty sure this should be smooth sailing. Jacqui

[quote name='kazu']:o

Hi there,

I am doing two meet and greets for our upcoming cruises and HAL makes it very easy. Just call Onboard event services at 1-877-885-4259, make it clear that it is a no host event (you're not paying). HAL will gladly provide coffee, tea, water, glasses, cookies. and I would ask for a no host bar for those who want Bloody Caesars, etc. I understand there is a fee if HAL has to deliver the invitations. I print mine in advance and deliver them and am hoping that the Captain's and officer's will be delivered to them.

I read a lot of stuff on this board on how hard it is to do and how many forms are required. Talked to one person and it was done. (maybe that was the old days). I highly recommend that you do it. HAL always does a nice job on these things.

so, call, confirm and update your numbers before 30 days of the cruise. Don't believe the stuff I read that they don't want you to book early. From what I heard, they do want you to book early. :):)
Good luck - I'm pretty sure this should be smooth sailing. Jacqui[/quote]

I was on Noordam on January, and they did NOT do a great job in the Meet and Greet. We had the Piano Bar for one hour, and there were glasses of champagne. NOTHING else. I've been used to the treatment Royal Caribbean gives, and frankly Noordam was seriously disappointing, But their whole attitude on most of the cruise (with the exception of room staff and dining room staff) was that they didn't care.

Fran in Toronto

[quote name='Fran Harp']I was on Noordam on January, and they did NOT do a great job in the Meet and Greet. We had the Piano Bar for one hour, and there were glasses of champagne. NOTHING else. I've been used to the treatment Royal Caribbean gives, and frankly Noordam was seriously disappointing, But their whole attitude on most of the cruise (with the exception of room staff and dining room staff) was that they didn't care.

Fran in Toronto[/quote]

So Fran, I'm a bit confused. my repy was to the op asking how to set up a meet and greet, but why would you be upset if there were glasses of champagne? I'm not going to lambast ships on this site, but I have no desire to go on Royal Caribbean. Once is enough for me, but what's wrong with champagne. So I can judge this right, what else should the cruise line be doing? I think that sounds very nice, hope to have some officers and what else do you want? It's a meet and greet to meet our fellow curise critic people. am I missing the 'boat' here? I have always found HAL staff to be very congenial which is why I go back. please tell me what I am missing? thanks. Jacqui

[quote name='kazu']So Fran, I'm a bit confused. my repy was to the op asking how to set up a meet and greet, but why would you be upset if there were glasses of champagne? I'm not going to lambast ships on this site, but I have no desire to go on Royal Caribbean. Once is enough for me, but what's wrong with champagne. So I can judge this right, what else should the cruise line be doing? I think that sounds very nice, hope to have some officers and what else do you want? It's a meet and greet to meet our fellow curise critic people. am I missing the 'boat' here? I have always found HAL staff to be very congenial which is why I go back. please tell me what I am missing? thanks. Jacqui[/quote]

Jacqui, this was my first time on HAL - and my response was also for the person who wanted to set up a Meet and MIngle - it may not always be what you described. Maybe I expected too much. But as I read your description of what HAL does, it wasn't what I experienced. There was literally nothing but a glass of champagne - nothing else at all. The person on the roll call who set it up was surprised and not totally pleased. Mark Pells, the Hotel Manager, came to say hello.

As I said, the room staff and the dining room staff were superb and lots of fun, and deck hands were all quite congenial. The senior staff and front desk really did behave as if they didn't care. This might not be the case on all ships - but it sure was on the Noordam. My cruise mate, who is a diehard HAL cruiser, said she had never experienced a HAL cruise like that before.

By contrast, Meet and Mingles I've been to on any Royal Caribbean ship has a couple of different drinks, juice, tea or coffee and finger foods. The captain and cruise director show up for a fair bit of time. The room reserved is for at least two hours, and no one is shooing people out the door.

It was just such a big contrast.

I am not dumping on HAL - at least not exactly. There is no such thing as a bad cruise, in my opinion - and I am not a complainer. Never do. But having been on several Royal ships, I know that things can vary quite a bit ship to ship - depending on the staff on board and how good they are at doing their job.

So all that was by way of passing on a different experience to the person who wanted to know how to set it up.

Fran

Thanks Fran,

I have been told that we will have coffee, tea, water, cookies and all the good stuff. when you said you had champagne I assumed (oops you know what happens when you assume) that this was on top of the other stuff. We are also having a no host bar. I do hope that your experience is a 'once in a life time - never to be experienced again' situation.

Our last meet and greet on HAL was great on the Ooesterdam and hopefully this one will be too on the Zuiderdam and the next on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I guess I look at this as half the fun is meeting the people that you have been talking to all this time. But we do want coffee tea etc. I'm sure it will happen (I hope). Have never been dissapointed on HAL yet, so since I am organizing I don't want to be this time.

I understand where you are coming from and there is always one 'bad' cruise, but I have found that if there is a problem the best thing to do is deal with it up front, get it resolved and move on to a great cruise.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your HAL cruise, but they are going to have to do a lot to tear me away (please don't), as we have have found no comparison on similar ships. And we have been on them all. Thank you again for your insight. Sorry you didn't have a great meet and greet but I encourage everyone to do it. Call the person and talk to them.

If there is a problem go to your concierge or front desk and ask to speak to the hotel manager. They want these to be good experiences I am sure

To the op who asked the question, call and do your meet and greet. Ours was fine last time and I am counting on HAL to make it fine this time.

And for what it's worth, it's one of the better cruise lines in my opinion.

Safe sailing everyone!

[quote name='kazu']Thanks Fran,

I have been told that we will have coffee, tea, water, cookies and all the good stuff. when you said you had champagne I assumed (oops you know what happens when you assume) that this was on top of the other stuff. We are also having a no host bar. I do hope that your experience is a 'once in a life time - never to be experienced again' situation.

Our last meet and greet on HAL was great on the Ooesterdam and hopefully this one will be too on the Zuiderdam and the next on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I guess I look at this as half the fun is meeting the people that you have been talking to all this time. But we do want coffee tea etc. I'm sure it will happen (I hope). Have never been dissapointed on HAL yet, so since I am organizing I don't want to be this time.

I understand where you are coming from and there is always one 'bad' cruise, but I have found that if there is a problem the best thing to do is deal with it up front, get it resolved and move on to a great cruise.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your HAL cruise, but they are going to have to do a lot to tear me away (please don't), as we have have found no comparison on similar ships. And we have been on them all. Thank you again for your insight. Sorry you didn't have a great meet and greet but I encourage everyone to do it. Call the person and talk to them.

If there is a problem go to your concierge or front desk and ask to speak to the hotel manager. They want these to be good experiences I am sure

To the op who asked the question, call and do your meet and greet. Ours was fine last time and I am counting on HAL to make it fine this time.

And for what it's worth, it's one of the better cruise lines in my opinion.

Safe sailing everyone![/quote]

Well, it wasn't a bad cruise. There is no such thing IMO:D Just surprised at the way it was (or wasn't) done.

The Meet and Mingle itself - the people - were a lot of fun, of course. I always enjoy meeting the people, and that's half the fun, for me.

I loved the piano player in the bar - he's moving to Prinsendam - too late at night and my brain went blank on his last name. First name Lee. Gorgeous funny talented man. Loved the two for one martinis at happy hour. Food in the dining room at dinner was superb.

Yeah, like I said - no such thing as a bad cruise. :p

Fran

[quote name='Fran Harp']I was on Noordam on January, and they did NOT do a great job in the Meet and Greet. We had the Piano Bar for one hour, and there were glasses of champagne. NOTHING else. I've been used to the treatment Royal Caribbean gives, and frankly Noordam was seriously disappointing, But their whole attitude on most of the cruise (with the exception of room staff and dining room staff) was that they didn't care.

Fran in Toronto[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]The majority of the Meet & Greets that we used to attend had only coffee, tea, iced water and cookies.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]If you got champagne -- that is a step up.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

Good evening DBA--2 questions please.

Do you know who the Hotel Manager and the Cruise Director will be on the 5/4/10 sailing of the Noordam?

Does the bridge and the pilots, tugs, port, etc communicate using VHF?

Thanks

Hi. We are scheduled for the NB Vollendam cruisetour to Alaska on 6/9. We will actually be on the cruise for 3 nights and rest on land. My question is, will there be a formal night during the 3 nights we are on board the ship? Trying to figure out if my BF needs to get a sport coat. :rolleyes:

nanlee, call ships services [ or get your ta to do so ] and they can tell if you will have a "formal night " on this cruise ......................then read through this site and you will find 1/2 dozen threads the subject of dress code / black tie / formal / etc with well over 1001 posts with hundreds of opinions [ some relaxed, some heated !!!! ]......then you digest them and decide what you think, what you want to do , what you can live with and feel comfy with and go for it :)...........i have my views but i try not to force them on my fellow pax......once upon a time, " formal " was white tie [ but the titanic sank ], then formal became black tie , then tux or dark suit, then jacket and tie ......on and on ......soon[but i will have permanently debarked by then ] it will be black tank tops and black baseball caps on backwards :eek:....ah, but i tip my hand !:D

[quote name='nanlee6']Hi. We are scheduled for the NB Vollendam cruisetour to Alaska on 6/9. We will actually be on the cruise for 3 nights and rest on land. My question is, will there be a formal night during the 3 nights we are on board the ship? Trying to figure out if my BF needs to get a sport coat. :rolleyes:[/quote]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]You are sailing from Vancouver. The next day is a sea day -- yes that is a formal night.[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='Cruisin Suzin']I am sailing during the superbowl, we actually leave the day it is on do you think that HAL, will do anything special, a party? Show it in the theatre on the t.v.s? special drinks?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]They will probably make a big deal of it. On other cruises that were in progress they have had a party with "tailgate" food, special drinks, and a couple of venues set up. It was on the cabin TV, too. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]The fact that it's sailing day could make a difference. Depending on where you're sailing from the time zone could interfere with embarkation/sail-away activities. US departures, however, would be before kick-off. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]They will probably make a big deal of it. On other cruises that were in progress they have had a party with "tailgate" food, special drinks, and a couple of venues set up. It was on the cabin TV, too. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]The fact that it's sailing day could make a difference. Depending on where you're sailing from the time zone could interfere with embarkation/sail-away activities. US departures, however, would be before kick-off. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Thanks for the reply Ruth. I hope they can manage something...we are sailing from Ft. Lauderale @ 5 p.m might be kinda tight for them to make much of a fuss..

[quote name='nanlee6']Hi. We are scheduled for the NB Vollendam cruisetour to Alaska on 6/9. We will actually be on the cruise for 3 nights and rest on land. My question is, will there be a formal night during the 3 nights we are on board the ship? Trying to figure out if my BF needs to get a sport coat. :rolleyes:[/quote]

That 3 day cruise is part of a 7 day cruise. As 7 day cruises have 2 formal nights I would say there's about a 95% chance there will be a formal night

[quote name='Cruisin Suzin']I am sailing during the superbowl, we actually leave the day it is on do you think that HAL, will do anything special, a party? Show it in the theatre on the t.v.s? special drinks?[/quote]

On many ships this past February they had gatherings in the main show lounge or other areas to watch the game. Ultimately, it comes down to where is the ship located, what is the game being broadcast on and is there satellite reception.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=black]DBA., you were right on the money on this one. the ship is now sold out!!! :eek: I never got around to calling my TA, however, she called me and gave me an offer I just could not refuse. Well, I guess, i could have but why would you.:cool:[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]So, I did get the penthouse and my friends got my deluxe verandah suite. :D:D [/SIZE][SIZE=3]It was going to be a wonderful cruise anyways, but now it`s going to be an even more wonderful (and expensive) cruise...can`t wait. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Thanks again for your help, education and wonderful thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Jacqui[/SIZE]

[quote name='DutchByAssociation']Hi jacqui,

I can't go into the specifics, but I WILL say that this sailng is A LOT more sold than you think. Keep in mind that because of the guarantees until the final week of sailing, it's possible to see nearly any category available even if every room in that category is specifically assigned to various people.

That said, you can do one of two things:
Wait for a call/wait for your TA to be called (if you booked through one)
or Call Reservations (or your TA... you know the drill by now :)) and have them put you on hold, call Ship Inventory and ask if any "Special Paid Upgrades" are available. It might be a yes, might be a no... but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? :)

Regardless, have a WONDERFUL cruise![/quote]

[quote name='kazu'][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]DBA., you were right on the money on this one. the ship is now sold out!!! :eek: I never got around to calling my TA, however, she called me and gave me an offer I just could not refuse. Well, I guess, i could have but why would you.:cool:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]So, I did get the penthouse and my friends got my deluxe verandah suite. :D:D [/SIZE][SIZE=3]It was going to be a wonderful cruise anyways, but now it`s going to be an even more wonderful (and expensive) cruise...can`t wait. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Thanks again for your help, education and wonderful thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Jacqui[/SIZE][/quote]

I was right... I lke the sound of that and it never gets old... :) Kidding!

Sounds like you have an incredible trip in store! Have a great cruise!

:oThis is probably one of the craziest questions you've had. But I felt the most comfortable asking this question on this thread.. Have HAL ever cancelled a cruise because they are just not getting the bookings for that particular sailing? I mean say they have only sold half the ship will they cancel? Does that ever happen..

The reason I am asking is because only one person has signed onto my roll call..and I am getting a bit concerned..I was booked on another cruise line for this same itinerary and similar date..and the roll call was getting active a month ago..the reason I canceled that cruise is because a very large and I mean large 1200 people, 40% of the ship,:eek: plus another group of 600 people booked it after I did...I just felt with that many in a group it would be their cruise and not mine...so I cancelled and booked this cruise on HAL, and in retrospect am very happy it all happened that way. We will be much happier on HAL But nothing is sold out yet, not even the SC category, and there are only 6 of those..I have asked my PVP and he said there are a couple of small groups on this sailing, of about 20 or 40 people..so I just might have the opposite of my previous situation.

So would they ever Cancel a sailing? Not that I would mind having the most of the ship to myself;)

Archived