A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

.................I guess you've had spome really good cruises lately if these are the questions that get "yelling size font", angryfaces and thumbs down

:)

You can only please some people some of the time. Others you can't please at all!;)

Btw, congrats on the admin. asst.:cool:

Hey Dutch!

I don't know where to post this, so I'm going to give it a try here. I just read on the boards that there was a fire on the Statendam last night with subsequent flooding and toilets being unuseable. The post was the first by a new "postee" who said her grandparents are on the ship and emailed this info last night.

Any truth to this? We sail on her on April 25th and I'm really hoping this is just a rumor.

Thanks for any insight you might have.

No -- you can not see your portfolio on the TV -- but you can go to the front office (or ask a concierge if you have a Deluxe veranda suite) to run off a copy of your bill any time during the cruise.

HM -- yes -- that is the Hotel Manager.

The purser is a different person.

Thanks, I know this is probably a silly question but what exactly is the Hotel Managers responsibilities? Where would you find him/her?

Any problems I had on my one and only cruise I took to the Pursers desk..for example every single time I would return to ship my ID badge would not work, and I had to have it replaced. It became a bit joke with security and the front desk but it really was a PITA..There were charges on my acct that were not mine and I had them removed etc..but always went to the same desk...would the same be on Nieuw Amsterdam..

Hi Dutch - I was just looking at pictures of the huge engines on the Nieuw Amsterdam, and a question again crossed my mind that I've often wondered before: if such a large piece of equipment needs replacement, or more repairs than can be done on board, how do they get it out? Is there a vertical shaft near the smokestacks large enough to hoist one through? Or does it have to be dismantled and taken out in small pieces, with a new/repaired one later reassembled in place?

Similarly, at what point are the engines installed in a new ship? When the deck that they are on is first available, before decks above are constructed? Or later?

This not of deathly importance to me, but I've always wondered, and would appreciate it if you could find out from somebody! :)

Believe they cut right into the side of the ship, take out and replace whatever they may need to, although I suppose it can vary from ship to ship. My assumption is based on the situation with Norwegian Epic that was announced the other day

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2010/04/epic-needs-a-new-engine.html

Hey Dutch!

I don't know where to post this, so I'm going to give it a try here. I just read on the boards that there was a fire on the Statendam last night with subsequent flooding and toilets being unuseable. The post was the first by a new "postee" who said her grandparents are on the ship and emailed this info last night.

Any truth to this? We sail on her on April 25th and I'm really hoping this is just a rumor.

Thanks for any insight you might have.

All I can say on this is that I have not heard of a fire onboard the Statendam.

Thanks, I know this is probably a silly question but what exactly is the Hotel Managers responsibilities? Where would you find him/her?

Any problems I had on my one and only cruise I took to the Pursers desk..for example every single time I would return to ship my ID badge would not work, and I had to have it replaced. It became a bit joke with security and the front desk but it really was a PITA..There were charges on my acct that were not mine and I had them removed etc..but always went to the same desk...would the same be on Nieuw Amsterdam..

Hotel Manager is the ship's highest position that does not oversee the technical operations of the ship. Examples of what s/he would be ultimately in charge of are:

• Housekeeping
  • Culinary
  • Beverage

to name just a couple.

Any issues that may arise you would take to the Front Office. There is a tiered structure to the positions and anyone ought to be able to assist with anything. The purser on HAL ships is typically a behind the scenes position.

Believe they cut right into the side of the ship, take out and replace whatever they may need to, although I suppose it can vary from ship to ship. My assumption is based on the situation with Norwegian Epic that was announced the other day

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2010/04/epic-needs-a-new-engine.html

Thanks! Man, that must be a Royal Pain job getting something that heavy out horizontally! :eek::eek:

All I can say on this is that I have not heard of a fire onboard the Statendam.

Hi,

I am also on the 25 April Statendam sailing and wonder if you are aware of a problem that was NOT fire-related? Your choice of words makes me wonder ;)

Hi,

I am also on the 25 April Statendam sailing and wonder if you are aware of a problem that was NOT fire-related? Your choice of words makes me wonder ;)

Is that because I didn't really compose a complete sentence? ;) Let's try this

All I can say with regard to "was there a fire on Statendam" is that I have not heard of a fire onboard the Statendam.

There was a fire on the Statendam--please read the attached link:

http://www.greatships.net/statendam3.html

As with all of us grandparents, we tend to look back at the past. We salute the Dutch for taking this courageous action.

mimigirl54 was asking if there was a fire on the Statendam on April 14, 2010 -- not the Statendam III.

DBA...Could you please tell me which nights are formal nights on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. And which ONE of them are the "captains dinner" do I have that right? I think that would be the most important one to attend.. We only want to attend one formal night in the main dining room the other night we want to spend in the Tamarind restaurant

Thank you

Hi DBA.

I am hoping you can answer my question.

It appears that HAL has substituted Gibralter for Tangiers on the April 3, 2011 TA out of Fort Lauderdale,

At least that is what is now showing on the itinerary for that cruise,

As one that was looking forward to Tangiers I am somewhat dissapointed but then again I'll still be onboard.

Thanks DBA.

ciao,

Cristiano

DBA...Could you please tell me which nights are formal nights on a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. And which ONE of them are the "captains dinner" do I have that right? I think that would be the most important one to attend.. We only want to attend one formal night in the main dining room the other night we want to spend in the Tamarind restaurant

Thank you

Feb 6 - formal nights:

Mon, Feb 7 - your first sea day -- the Welcome Aboard Dinner

Friday, Feb 11 - your other sea day -- the Captain's Farewell Dinner

Thank you

If you want lobster for dinner it will be on the last formal night.

Thank you

It can vary to some degree but is typically on the sea days where there's no rush back from port to get dressed up a little more

Hi DBA.

I am hoping you can answer my question.

It appears that HAL has substituted Gibralter for Tangiers on the April 3, 2011 TA out of Fort Lauderdale,

At least that is what is now showing on the itinerary for that cruise,

As one that was looking forward to Tangiers I am somewhat dissapointed but then again I'll still be onboard.

Thanks DBA.

ciao,

Cristiano

Hey there,

The substitution was made, I'm not sure on the reasons, but if I'm not mistaken the 2 cities are reasonably close to each other and if so they may still be offering excursions for Tangiers. Not sure, but you may want to check. Usually if substitutions are made they can keep the new port close and offer excursions for the new port AND the old destination too.

I'm unaware of these aspects being changed, but the Pinnacle Grill manager would be happy to share a copy of the menu on request with any guests if it isn't outside the entrance.

As for the cart, again, I'm not aware of this aspect changing, but the servers would be happy to describe any details of the cuts/cooking procedure to any of the guests.

I guess you've had spome really good cruises lately if these are the questions that get "yelling size font", angryfaces and thumbs down

:)

we just got back from the Zuiderdam and there was no cart. Frankly I didn't see it as a big deal. The 'cart' took time and you know you are getting good food. Plus, I always wondered what happened to that food (wasted?) I actually applaud the change. Pinnacle grill menus are readily available in rooms and upon request. Plus it never changes. Our meal as always was tremendous. Just my thoughts. Jacqui

• 2 weeks later...
Hello DBA...I have a question for you..if I bring a short wave radio on board with me will there be any reception...or just when we are near a port? Just curious

You know, I've never tried that. Not sure. Try your question as a new thread in the board and I'm sure others can help though

Archived