New York Flight Times

ABG

My previous cruise experiences have been out of Fort Lauderdale and San Juan. In May, I'll be flying out of New York (Brooklyn) on a Tuesday. I was curious about what time to make my flight home. I know that there is more travel time between the port and the airport than in Fort Lauderdale. I will be flying in and out of LaGuardia (LGA). There is an 11:55 am flight that I would like to take but I'm worried it's too early. It's gives me an 2 hour layover in Atlanta. The next flight choice leaves around 1pm but only has a 45 minute layover in Atlanta, which seems too short. I could take flights later in the day, but I'd get home really late (I still have to drive once I reach my final destination).

Any advice is appreciated.

And just what flight guidelines did your cruiseline give to you?

Is there some reason why you wouldn't want to follow them? Or are you looking for some confirmation to support a decision you've already made to take a flight earlier than recommended?

Also, it becomes REALLY difficult to recommend a flight time when you don't even say what ship and/or what time you have for a scheduled arrival. (Time to bring back the Kreskin photo???)

ABG, are you flying into Birmingham? And, have you checked all four of the NYC area airports. There are direct flights from Islip. LGA is definitely the closest but you do have other options. FYI, check a site like flightstats and you can look for the on time stats for the flights you are considering, especially the flight with the legal but tight 45 minute connection. What about a connection through Cincinnati, if you are flying Delta. Delta will no longer be using terminal C so it should make it a lot easier.

If you could clarify which cruise line you are on that would be helpful and which pier you are arriving in. (eg., Manhatten or Brooklyn)

In general I would recommend an afternoon flight. I would find a flight that left in the afternoon and had a longer layover.

I have arrived in NYC before any everthing went well but one time we were delayed getting off the ship by a couple of hours because the process getting the passengers cleared through customs was signfiicantly delayed and we also got into port about 30 minutes late. Passengers with morning flights missed them.

Keith

You did mention in your original post that your ship was coming into Brooklyn. I would be hesitant to book a 11:30 out of Laguardia. You should be at the airport at least 1 hour, preferably longer, before your flight. Too many things can delay disembarkation and then you might have traffic to contend with. If the ship comes in on time and you are one of the first off, it is possible you can make it but I wouldn't take the chance. Islip is a big distance away from Brooklyn and it would take you longer time to get there plus taxi fare would be very high.

My previous cruise experiences have been out of Fort Lauderdale and San Juan. In May, I'll be flying out of New York (Brooklyn) on a Tuesday. I was curious about what time to make my flight home. I know that there is more travel time between the port and the airport than in Fort Lauderdale. I will be flying in and out of LaGuardia (LGA). There is an 11:55 am flight that I would like to take but I'm worried it's too early. It's gives me an 2 hour layover in Atlanta. The next flight choice leaves around 1pm but only has a 45 minute layover in Atlanta, which seems too short. I could take flights later in the day, but I'd get home really late (I still have to drive once I reach my final destination).

Any advice is appreciated.

Well you gotta ask yourself..Do I feel lucky? Well do you? :)

(Thats the correct quote by the way.)

At any rate as one who has actual experience with LGA I can tell you that its a smaller airport and the TSA there has its act together.

I would say in this case to go ahead and book that flight.

I would recommend using the self assist or better yet the luggage express service. For a small fee you set your luggage outside the last night and will not have to see it again until you arrive at your HOME airport.

As soon as customs clears the ship you will be one of the first off. If you choose the transfer, you will hop on a bus and be on your way to the airport.

Now with express service the pursers desk will deliver your airlines tickets to you the night before. You just have to provide them with the information when you pay the fee.

LGA is a smaller airport and the TSA has their act together so things move pretty quickly. Then off to the gate area. No standing in line to check in for your flight and no luggage to deal with.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Have a great cruise. :):)

Archived