Open Connecting Balconies

I posed the same question to RCCL (about regular adjacent balconies on AOS, not even aft) and they told me they do not open the dividers anymore due to safety concerns. I am hoping that is inaccurate, but that was their official word.

we had ours opened on our B2B Mariner last July, as my daughter kept trying to lean over to talk to grandma and grandad in the cabin next door.. ( I swear I have a few more white hairs now LOL ) I explained this to the room steward, who had to go and get permission, but we had it opened for our 2 weeks

wendy

x

If partitions between the balconies are opened up or not depends on mainly two points.

1. Can they be opened at all or not. THis can not only vary from ship to ship, but from cabin to cabin. Some ships like Freedom class have dividers that are easy to open. While on others balcony partitions are part of the steel structure of the ship. Most ships have at least between part of the balcony cabins solid walls that are part of the steel structure.

2. If it´s techincally possible to open the dividers it depends on the decision of the Captain if they are opened or not. S/He has the last word to it and has to permit it.

I posed the same question to RCCL (about regular adjacent balconies on AOS, not even aft) and they told me they do not open the dividers anymore due to safety concerns. I am hoping that is inaccurate, but that was their official word.

The answers vary by ship and by cabin location. On AOS the dividers are fixed and can't physically be opened. Same is true with Voyager, Explorer, and the Radiance class.

The dividers between aft balconies on all ships are fixed and can't be opened.

On Mariner and Navigator it is possible for the dividers to be opened but because of the way they are designed there isn't a satisfactory way to keep them secure so it is up to the Captain whether or not he will allow them to be opened. Some cruises it is allowed, some it isn't. Usually based on how rough they think the seas will be that sailing.

On the Freedom class the dividers are designed to safely slide open and stay in place, so there is no restriction on the dividers being opened.

AOS Balconies are part of the Super Structure of the ship and are steel and cannot be openned.

Archived