First Timer - Insignia

drterry58

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise with Oceania, cruising Rome to Barcelona on Insignia in November.

We are not big on group tours and like to explore on our on. Can any who have made this cruise offer tips.

Thanks in advance.

D

Welcome to Cruise critics. Here you will find numerous ideas for your private tours.

First, look under " Ports of Call ", click Europe, western mediterranean. You will find other cruisers' discussions on their past experience, and private tour suggestions.

As for your particular cruise, go to " Roll Call ", look under Oceania, select insignia, and go down the list to find the one you're on. You will see a few fellow passengers also having the same plan in touring on their own. If you all come up with similar places you want to visit, you may wish to join force and hire private tours. Many of the ports you're going to offer tours for 2 people, of course at a higher price per person than a group of 8. You can decide what suits you.

Insignia was refurbished in 2008. Honestly, it looked just as good to my eyes back in 2007, as it did in 2008 after refurbishment. I think management has set very high standards. Have a wonderful cruise, your itinerary is very port intensive and visit fascinating places.

Monaco offers great train connection to Nice, Cannes. For the two days you're there, you can take the well organized train to cannes on day 1, and areas around Nice and Monaco on day2.

Do consider a couple of post cruise days in Barcelona, there's a lot to see, and it is very amenable to self tours, as many places are either within walking distance, or easy ride by subway. Also has Hop on Hop off bus.

Naples is generally not as attractive as the outskirts, so going on your own is not time efficient.

La Spezza is Rick Steves' favourite. See his DVD for details, and that one you can do on your own.

My wife and I will be taking our first cruise with Oceania, cruising Rome to Barcelona on Insignia in November.

We are not big on group tours and like to explore on our on. Can any who have made this cruise offer tips.

Thanks in advance.

D

Funny, we are considering the exact same cruise! The deals I see on this are no less than incredible. We might see you aboard! I may PM you if and when we book.

For the Livorno port for this cruise, if you've already been to Florence and are looking for something different and would like to see Siena and San Gimignano on a shared private excursion (while this is offered as a cruise excursion, it has been cancelled on more than one occasion), please go to the Roll Call for this cruise to discuss further.:)

Archived