A Non-Cruise Question (Tibet)

douganswerphone

Hi All:

In March, we'll be spending a week post-cruise in Tibet. We've never been there, or Mainland China, before. With such a well-traveled group on this board, SOMEBODY else must have been there.

I've read lots of guidebooks and online stuff, and think I have the basics down. I'm looking for first-hand reports: Where did you go? What did you do? What did you like / dislike? Recommendations?

Inquiring minds want to know.

We spent about 3 days is Lhasa, Tibet nearly 20 years ago. Besides the scenery, (you will be in the Himalays), Lhasa has several interesting sights. Number 1 is the Portola, the ancient fortress.

I am not sure where else you will be going in Tibet, I don't think Lhasa has a weeks worth of stuff to do.

Check with your doctor about the altitude. Lhasa is 12000 or 14000 feet about sea level, you may want to take medicine to prevent altitude sickness.

We spent 5 days in Lhasa in September.....fantastic. I'm sure you'll love it. If you have the opportunity though I would highly recommend spending at least one night in Shigatze. The usual CTS tour is a round trip by road via Gyantse. The area around the lakes has awe inspiring scenery and you get away from the more touristy (and Chinese) atmosphere of Lhasa. It just feels slightly more like what Tibet was probably like pre-packaged-tourist.

I'm sorry I don't have more time to elaborate but I am literally on my way out the door to fly to Australia....and our next cruise.

We spent about 3 days is Lhasa, Tibet nearly 20 years ago. Besides the scenery, (you will be in the Himalays), Lhasa has several interesting sights. Number 1 is the Portola, the ancient fortress.

I am not sure where else you will be going in Tibet, I don't think Lhasa has a weeks worth of stuff to do.

Check with your doctor about the altitude. Lhasa is 12000 or 14000 feet about sea level, you may want to take medicine to prevent altitude sickness.

Our current plan is 2 days in Lhasa, followed by 3 days driving to Shigatse, via Gyantse. With all the monasteries nearby, any remaining time should get soaked up with a day trip or two.

Then the Tibet Train to Xi'an. I've heard it's a remarkable ride.

We did a similar trip one year ago. The scenery is awe inspiring, the food is terrible and you should check with your doctor regarding altitude sickness and medication. My wife had a terrible time adjusting to the altitude and was very sick for two days - we almost had to cancel and take her back down to a lower altitude, it was that serious.

Archived