Please post your Fish Extender photos

dontpanik

I'm beginning to make mine and I'd love to see some more photos of other people's Fish Extenders. I have seen the ones posted on Disboards, but I know there are thousands more out there. I'd love to see how creative people were.

This one was made for me by a good friend for our last cruise because I dont sew! I love it!!

DSC03559.jpg

3 years ago this was my first attmept at making one. I had no idea of the size so it was all guessing and I bought a remnent of material, started cutting it and since I dont sew I used fabric glue to put it together and to add pockets. Then I added some 3D Disney stickers for decorations. It came out ok for not having a clue how to do it.;)

283.jpg

mom x4,grandma x4

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is a fish extender and what is it used for. These are so cute!!!:D

Not dumb at all. They are called fish extenders because you hang it onto a metal fish that holds messages on the wall outside your stateroom. Since it has pockets it is an extension of the fish (note holder)

I hope that makes sense.

Now the way we use them is:

Join a roll call thread for your cruise and try to get all the people you meet to put out a fish extender on their cruise. Then each person who does this you have their room number and sometime during the cruise you leave a fun surprize in their pockets and they in turn will do it to your extender:)

we give things like candy, disney postcards, disney themed pencils, disney post cards, glow bracelets, disney stickers,Disney notecards, stick it note pads, just any small fun thing you can find.

It really is fun to look each time you come back to your room to see if someone has put a surprize in it. Kids catch on really fast to check those pockets!!

My last cruise we had 33 people doing this so everyday we had a ton of things left for us. I splurged this time and had M&M's printed that said Disney Magic and Bananaheads(NAME OF OUR GROUP) and then bagged them in cute baggies and put them in the extender. There is no right or wrong to what you can buy to put in them.

Some ladies make home made items too.

I hope that answers your question.

mom x4,grandma x4

This one was made for me by a good friend for our last cruise because I dont sew! I love it!!

DSC03559.jpg

3 years ago this was my first attmept at making one. I had no idea of the size so it was all guessing and I bought a remnent of material, started cutting it and since I dont sew I used fabric glue to put it together and to add pockets. Then I added some 3D Disney stickers for decorations. It came out ok for not having a clue how to do it.;)

283.jpg

mom x4,grandma x4

Very nice! I think I saw the first one on the Disboards. Did you freehand the Walt script?

3273648130_e3016e8bd5.jpg

I just posted this at the other place, too.

90% of this is done with fabric glue and iron bonding tape. I did sew the cording around the sides and the bottom of the pockets. I could have done this without any sewing at all.

No, need for sewing skills. Just have fun with it.

All of these look great!

Still sad for me, our last night we were getting ready, we leave..and see all our custom designed door magnets and custom made fish extender...GONE!!

We had a Cat 4 on deck 8...still bugs me a year later that someone could be so heartless!

All of these look great!

Still sad for me, our last night we were getting ready, we leave..and see all our custom designed door magnets and custom made fish extender...GONE!!

We had a Cat 4 on deck 8...still bugs me a year later that someone could be so heartless!

That is terrible. I have heard of some door magnets being taken. But never a FE.

I have heard of people, usually teens taking them late at night and dumping them in the trash or putting them on someone elses door.

They caught a few teens doing it a couple of times.

I am NOT saying teens are bad and do aweful things, anybody could do this but on a couple of our cruises teens were caught doing that.

I am sorry to hear you had some an aweful experience. I hope the rest of your cruise was excellant for you.:)

That is terrible. I have heard of some door magnets being taken. But never a FE.

I have heard of people, usually teens taking them late at night and dumping them in the trash or putting them on someone elses door.

They caught a few teens doing it a couple of times.

I am NOT saying teens are bad and do aweful things, anybody could do this but on a couple of our cruises teens were caught doing that.

I am sorry to hear you had some an aweful experience. I hope the rest of your cruise was excellant for you.:)

Thank you for your comments:)

It was the last night of the cruise...we were in the room for abt an hour, we were getting ready for the show..when we walked out, everything was gone, we never heard anything!

I have heard also abt teens thinking its a fun prank etc...I even asked my DS who was 14 at the time to keep his ears open in ALoft if he heard anything! lol

It was such a sad feeling...we were right next to the Roy Disney Suite! lol Doesnt matter what deck you are on.(we actually used DVC pts for this cruise)

It was a bummer, took me awhile to"shake it off" and enjoy the rest of the evening, as it was our last one.

THe important thing was we were finished with exchanging with our group and the kids had a great time with it!!!

WOuld still love to cruise Disney again, but with a family of 5, and a DH that loves a verandah, it gets pricey!

We got a great deal with NCL, but I know I , and the kids will miss the Disney touch;)

I finished mine this weekend!! I am so excited. I did it without any sewing (as I don't sew)...I went to Target and got that Mighty Mend It that Bill Mayes hocks for "As Seen On TV" and it worked really well!! Then I got some iron-on letters and iron-on's to put our name and a some pirate stuff on it...it's not professional, but it's done and I can say I did it myself (you will have no doubt of that when you see it)(lol).

I made all my own magnets too...I'm a little bummed now though that someone said their magnets and FE got stolen...I don't know if I want to put my stuff up now...I probably wouldn't have made stuff had I known. Oh well...

Happy sailing everyone!

Mandy,

please put up your magnets and FE. Dont let a few bad experiences ruin your fun. If you want, bring them in at night.

But I have been on DCL 18 times and only heard of 4 or 5 people who have had this happen. So the odds are in your favor. Only once on my cruise.

Some of my friends put their cabin number on their magnets, so if a CM sees some in the trash or someone finds one on their door they can return it to you.

Also you can take some extra ribbon and make it hard for someone to take down your FE too. Tie some knots.

When these things happen they have to be fast or they will get caught. It is rare for a hallway to have nobody in it for more than just a few short minutes.

Be sure and take a photo of all of them too, just in case.

It is really sad that there are a few out there who like to ruin things for others, but please dont let that stop you from enjoying your decorations.

You will see dozens of other doors decorated , so join in the fun, dont let them some knucklehead stop you from displaying your decorations.

mom x4,grandma x4

I finished mine this weekend!! I am so excited. I did it without any sewing (as I don't sew)...I went to Target and got that Mighty Mend It that Bill Mayes hocks for "As Seen On TV" and it worked really well!! Then I got some iron-on letters and iron-on's to put our name and a some pirate stuff on it...it's not professional, but it's done and I can say I did it myself (you will have no doubt of that when you see it)(lol).

I made all my own magnets too...I'm a little bummed now though that someone said their magnets and FE got stolen...I don't know if I want to put my stuff up now...I probably wouldn't have made stuff had I known. Oh well...

Happy sailing everyone!

Please..please...do not allow my post to discourage you:)

Mine was just an isolated incident.....!Just was sharing my experience!

I failed to include what fun I had preparing and making all our door magnets!!!

And , like I said, we USed the FE for what it was intended for:) (I didnt make my FE, I paid someone to do it:D) Not that talented! lol

Please enjoy and put your stuff up!!!!

Thanks guys. I appreciate you both taking the time to calm my fears about putting up my stuff...I was very excited about putting it up, so I will take your advise and put my room # on it and give it a shot! I've already taken photos of my magnets and FE (just in case-like you said...I will also take pics when I get them put up on the cruise to get the whole effect!).

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Mandy,

be sure and let us know how your cruise goes for you.

Those of us who have to wait a year or more to cruise live through other peoples cruises to help us pass the time and keep our sanity;)

mom x4,grandma x4

Yes!!

We have a WDW trip planned for end of May, I actually priced some 3 nighters out, but so late in the game, their arent any deals!

All these FE's look great also!!

I love seeing all these FE....

I might have to go look in the roll call to see how many will be on the Easter 7 night cruise.....I may have to make one of my own.

I hope this doesn't sound silly...but...ummm.....how are you guys making your own magnets??? I'd LOVE to make a special one for our door and my parent's door (it's their 1st cruise ever, I can't believe I finally convinced them).

Thanks for the info and inspiration!

i always make my own magnets for the door. They are easy and fun to do.

I take the easy wayout. I buy magnetic sheets at Walmart or Stpales. They come in standard 8 1/2 by 11 like a sheet of paper.

That way I can just print off my computer if I want to.

Other times i go to a scrapbooking or craft store and buy Disney and cruising themed stickers. Some of the 3D stickers really look nice.

Often I can find stickers with the names of the islands we are going to and i make a sign for each island.

I will look and see if i can find a few photos of my last signs if you want to see what i mean.

mom x4,grandma x4

Here are a few printed off the computer.

The writing I added myself

DSC03445-1.jpg

DSC03444-1.jpg

DSC03443-1.jpg

The writing on this one wont make sense to you . It is a personal joke with a friend who was cruising with us. But the picture was cute.

DSC03442-1.jpg

There is no end to what you can do. If you want the site where I found these pictures, just let me know. There were lots of pictures there, ready t o be printed off.

mom x4,grandma x4

I did the same thing...went to Michaels and got 8 1/2 X 11 magnet sheets, and printed out a couple of different sized Mikey heads and made a pattern and traced and cut, then colored them with markers so they wouldn't be just plain white, and then put Mickey and friends stickers on them, I made one out of a Mickey head and used letter stickers to spell out "Our 1st Disney Cruise" and decorated it, and just did fun things with it. I made a couple with our names on it and put Disney stickers on them, and used one whole 8 /12 X 11 sheet and put "The Chapmans" on it and decorated it. There is no right or wrong way to do it, just have fun!! I cut out a lot of "Mickey" heads and decorated them with different colors and/or stickers...just being silly...it was so much fun!! (I'm thinking about going to get another box of magnet sheets and making more...hee hee!)

Oh, these are AWESOME!! Mine look really silly compared to these! How do you do it? Will the magnet sheets go through the printer?

Here are a few printed off the computer.

The writing I added myself

DSC03445-1.jpg

DSC03444-1.jpg

DSC03443-1.jpg

The writing on this one wont make sense to you . It is a personal joke with a friend who was cruising with us. But the picture was cute.

DSC03442-1.jpg

There is no end to what you can do. If you want the site where I found these pictures, just let me know. There were lots of pictures there, ready t o be printed off.

mom x4,grandma x4

Yes they go through the printer perfect. They are the same size as regular paper so they fit perfectly.

All my other signs over the years were doen with stickers and pasting things onto magnetic paper.

This was my first time doing it from the computer. I do suggest you always print it off once on paper to make sure it is fitting the way you want it to before printing on the magnetic paper .

Kathy

Archived