Rome Segway Tours????

That is a great idea! I am sorry that I cannot give you any feedback, as we have not done it, but I am intrigued by the concept. I have heard from friends who have done segway tours in other cities that it is fun. I just surfed around and there are several companies offering segway tours in Barcelona too....

Kim

I haven't done them, but I did see several different groups of Segway tours on my trip to Rome in December. They looked a little difficult to maneuvre what with the already crowded sidewalks, vespas, cobblestone sidewalks and roads, and of course the free-for-all Rome traffic!

It looked to me like those who were just walking were having an easier time of it ...... and making more headway through the crowds. :D

I concur with Cynthia (once again!); I believe that Segways are excellent for touring parks and similar other less crowded outdoor areas than a major city. For example, I would not hesitate to take a Segway tour of New York City's Central Park, but I think that walking would be easier in a crowded urban area such as historical Rome.

Perhaps if you are going out-of-season when the sidewalks/streets would be less crowded??

I also agree with Cynthia's thoughts on this.

We spent 3 days in Rome in October (most of it on foot) and didn't see any Segways, but with the crowds, cobblestones, curbs, traffic, etc. I don't think I would want to attempt it, unless in a less touristy area.

However, it sounds like some people have enjoyed the experience: http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k2334419-Segways_a_fantastic_way_to_have_a_tour_of_Rome-Rome_Lazio.html

Since most people on this forum usually spend only a port day in Florence, I don't think you'll get a response from many (if any) who have done Segway tours there, although I could be wrong.

Again, would refer you to Tripadvisor since it's discussed there occasionally, but often hard to distinguish what is genuine and what is advertising when it comes to something like this.

Here's a link to one that I think is genuine, based on the number of posts this person has: http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k1287635-Trip_Report_Part_II_Florence_what_we_did_best_worst-Florence_Tuscany.html

I haven't done a Segway tour in Rome, or Florence but I believe they are available in both places. I also read about someone having done one in Dubvronik.

I did do a Segway tour in Epcot in WDW and they're not difficult to manouver at all, once you get the hang of it. You change directions by moving your body. I really enjoyed it and I would do a Segway tour again anywhere. And people get out of your way if they think you're going to run them over. Epcot gets busy too but we just kept going.

Thank you for directing me to that review! I didn't know they are limited to going so slow. Maybe our friends would join us now.

You're welcome.:) If you are spending a few days there, I would recommend waiting until you arrive in Florence before committing to the tour so that you can see what the situation is with crowds. When we were there in late September '05, it was very crowded and difficult to walk without dodging or bumping into other people, as well as staying clear of the few cars that were in the historic centre. It's a wonderful 'strolling' city though!

Haven't done the particular tour you're talking about...but I've done a tour in Puerto Rico and it was amazing!! We covered 7 miles worth of ground in just a couple hours...got to see all the forts and got into some places that we would have been unable to if we had done a traditional bus/vehicle tour. The cobblestone streets and all the crowds were no problem what so ever...wherever we go if they offer Segway tours we would do them in an instant!!

Archived