Review - Independence - 6 days - Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel

Hi Michele! It was great meeting you on the Independence. Your family is just beautiful and I love the way your girls are already cruise fanatics.

We also ate one late afternoon at Johnny Rockets and there was no waiting at all at that time. We ate outside in the booths and it was fun watching the dancing of the waiters. We enjoyed it a lot, but we also used 2 free C & A coupons and drank water so we didn't pay for anything there.

The Independence is a wonderful ship, very clean and the staff is helpful and cheerful. I have no complaints. We had a great 6 days. It was the easiest embarkation and debarkation we've ever had on any ship. I think we were on the ship in 5 minutes from the time we walked into the terminal and were off by 8:30am when they called our grey colored tags. (Diamond color). We didn't use the concierge lounge at all other than to walk through it on day 1. We had an Oceanview cabin on deck 6. Love the new flat screen TV's, makes more counter space. Love the doors on the showers instead of the dreaded curtain.

It was a perfect 6 days and we hope to sail on the Indy again.

Wendy

I found it interesting to see that dinner seating is listed for 6 to 6:30 and 8:30 to 9. Usually they list one specific time. Also, the suggested attire for specialty restaurants on formal night was formal. We have always seen smart casual in the specialty restaurants on formal night.

Day 3 - Belize

The ship arrives in Belize at 7am.

Some of the people on our Cruise Critic roll call decided to meet and go on a group excursion together. This was the BEST idea yet.

We met at 9:45am in Sorrentos. We left and boarded the tender (took about 25 minutes to tender to the port).

At the port, we walked through one of the shopping builldings and on the other side was our bus from cave-tubing.com for an ATV JUNGLE ADVENTURE!

For $55 per person, (at the end of the trip paid in cash/tip extra), we rode in an air conditioned bus to the jungle trails. It was a one hour trip....but seemed alot quicker because our guides were hysterical. It was a nice little party on the bus. They had music videos...the guide danced for us...lol. It was alot of fun.

We arrived at their "hut". We were advised to wear old clothes because we WOULD get muddy. They sold t-shirts for $10 each if anyone wanted to cover up their clothes. They also gave us plastic bags to tie over our shoes.

The guides took our cameras and went ahead on each trail to video and to take still pictures of every leg of the trail. NO EXTRA CHARGE. By the time I left, I had a video of our experience on my own camera. And I had pictures, including Before/After mud shots.

This was the MOST fun we had ever had on an excusion. They also run Cave Tubing trips. But recently started to do the ATV jungle tours. The age minimum is 12 to drive your own ATV. If you don't know how to drive one or you are unsure about your own skills, the guides will drive for you. One person in our group elected to do that.

The ride was 5 miles through the Belize rain forest and it lasted one hour on the ATVs.

They sold soda for $1/bottle and Belize Beer for $3. They also had Tamales for $2, ice cream, doritos and cheetos.

There was SOOOO MUCH MUD! We started off clean and ended up VERY MUDDY - but smiling from ear to ear. I would do this tour again in a heartbeat. If I go back when it's warmer, I want to try the cave tubing excursion that they have. The minimum age for their cave tubing is 5 if you have kids.

The Belize City Port when we arrived...

142.jpg

Our Bus

190-1.jpg

The food hut

192-1.jpg

And we're off...

154.jpg

Got Mud?

157.jpg

Our "After Mud" Pictures - you can see our crazy guide standing in front of us doing his pose. Love that guy! lol

189-1.jpg

Wendy - it was great to meet you too. :D

Wrona - Thanks!

For those waiting on kid compasses, I am working on it : - ) I have the complete sets for the 3-5 and 6-8, I grabbed a couple of the other age groups, but no complete sets for them.

Cruise Compass - Day 3 - Belize

IndyDay3a.jpg

IndyDay3b.jpg

IndyDay3c.jpg

Thanks for the compasses and report Michelle, we're doing the 8 day in April so it gives us an idea of what is happening on the ship.

I think they need to remove MTD from the speciality dining section though. The way it reads is that guests under 13 cannot do anytime dining and there is a $10 fee if you don't show:(. Hopefully this only applies to Chops and Portofino, otherwise I see another popcorn thread coming!!

I am getting so excited. My two daughters and a freind and I will be leaving on this cruise. Mar 1st. This will be my first time going to the Carribean. Second cruise. Last year cruised on the Radiance ot the Sea to Alaska and loved it.Loved all your postins .Thanks

Thanks for the compasses and report Michelle, we're doing the 8 day in April so it gives us an idea of what is happening on the ship.

I think they need to remove MTD from the speciality dining section though. The way it reads is that guests under 13 cannot do anytime dining and there is a $10 fee if you don't show:(. Hopefully this only applies to Chops and Portofino, otherwise I see another popcorn thread coming!!

I saw that too but it looks like a day 3 mistake, the other days have MTD in the right place. They really need to proofread better though, on our last Mariner cruise, they listed the sports bar on the wrong deck for 3 days. We were still able to find it though.;)

I saw that too but it looks like a day 3 mistake, the other days have MTD in the right place. They really need to proofread better though, on our last Mariner cruise, they listed the sports bar on the wrong deck for 3 days. We were still able to find it though.;)

Never not been able to find a bar:D:D

OK I'm back again.

Day 4 - Costa Maya (compasses posted on page 2)

So we decided not to schedule an excursion for Costa Maya. We knew the port area was redone. We were docked and it was 72 degrees.

After breakfast at the Windjammer, we grabbed a couple of towels (must sign them out at the pool deck, $20 each if you don't return them).

We stayed at the port area at Costa Maya. Pulled up some lounge chairs. The drinks are a little pricey here. The water was cold...very cold....did I mention cold? Only a few brave kids got into the pools. They have a pool and a small fountain area for the little ones.

It seemed like most were shopping. The vendors were very nice...not agressive at all. One did put a musical instrement set in my 4 year olds hands - SUCKER MOM - yes I bought it. But he wanted $25, I paid $15. It was probably only worth $10...lol.

We stayed in the port until about 12:30pm. We got back on the ship, no need to pay for food when a whole ship had it for free. We spent the rest of the day with the ship pools to ourselves. The entire pool area (H20 zone) was empty until after 4pm.

And did I mention sprinkles????? Free soft serve ice cream, chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and twist every day from 11am - 11pm at the H20 zone.

Sprinkles - my new favorite place to hang out.

095.jpg

Costa Maya - Port

216.jpg

$15 - a real bargain, mom.

221.jpg

Swim up bar at Costa Maya

224.jpg

Both Carnival and RCCL were at the port that day

228.jpg

Crowds? What crowds? I got the pools to myself!

246.jpg

I also thought your daughters looked fabulously gorgeous in their dresses. I have 2 boys so I don't get to shop for cute dresses like that :p but they look sooooo cute! Definately elegant!

I am planning a Freedom Cruise in 2010...just waiting for the go ahead to book it from RCCL...so I am really enjoying your review of her sister ship. The only port we will be in that is the same as you is Cozumel but I plan to hit some of the other islands on other sailings. :D

Thanks for the great review!

Archived