Formal Enough?

justfoxie

Hi all, I have a lovely brown and cream silk cocktail dress that is tea length that I'm thinking of wearing for one of the "formal" nights on our Princess Baltic cruise. It was custom made for me and is quite simple and (I think) classy; I've worn it for various semi-formal events including an early fall evening wedding. Do you think this will be formal enough for the cruise or is something more glitzy meant by "cocktail dress" in cruise parlance?

Formal does not have to be glitzy at all. On my recent cruise I saw a woman in a lovely floor length sundress. She dressed it up by having her hair up and wearing pretty earrings. I, who was standing with my painful high heels in my hand instead of on my feet, waiting for the dining room doors to open, learned my lesson when I mentioned to her how comfortable she looked... she saw my shoes and showed me her flipflops, concealed under her dress. It sounds like she wasn't dressed "formally" but she really carried it off by owning the outfit.

My first cruise I wore a floor length silk gown with beading. My second cruise I wore a to the knee, strapless A-line summer dress, both worked fine. Your dress will work fine and you should have no worries. I don't think most big cruise lines have a real strict dress code other than no shorts, and tanks at dinner.

Archived