Maasdam is still great!

Harry1954

I am sure the ship's condition is fine. I remember hearing exactly the same thing about the QE2 - going on 40, bad air conditioning, bad plumbing, wear and tear, etc. When I did that ship I wondered where in the world those people who reported those types of things were sailing. For an old gal, she was kept up fine.

Yes, Maasdam is one of the older ships in the HAL fleet and it may not have all the bells and whistles of the new larger ships but I doubt very much its falling apart and needs to be replaced. HAL operates a fine fleet and I am sure they do their best to maintain her and that there are still many years left in her.

I've since stopped worrying about a ship's age and more about who operates her.

Besides, don't all ships vibrate and make noise? :confused: You're on a ship after all!

David

Who's eagerly anticipating his return to HAL and his first sailing on the Maasdam!

I am sure the ship's condition is fine. I remember hearing exactly the same thing about the QE2 - going on 40, bad air conditioning, bad plumbing, wear and tear, etc. When I did that ship I wondered where in the world those people who reported those types of things were sailing. For an old gal, she was kept up fine.

Yes, Maasdam is one of the older ships in the HAL fleet and it may not have all the bells and whistles of the new larger ships but I doubt very much its falling apart and needs to be replaced. HAL operates a fine fleet and I am sure they do their best to maintain her and that there are still many years left in her.

I've since stopped worrying about a ship's age and more about who operates her.

Besides, don't all ships vibrate and make noise? :confused: You're on a ship after all!

David

Who's eagerly anticipating his return to HAL and his first sailing on the Maasdam!

All ships do vibrate. Having just gotten off after drydock after two weeks - it was, as I said, just as great as ever. It is not economical for HAL to get rid of ships just because they have a few years on them .. that is why drydock occurs. They have done a reasonable job keeping it up to date. Granted there will be problems - as there are on all ships - and we have seen that on the many, many cruises we have been on. But overall, when one does not hear people complaining .. when there is not any major issue zipping around dinnertable during cruise and .. when we have had a delightful time - I believe it is a bit over the top IMHO to judge it due to age.

harry

maasdam needs to retire, costant noise and vibration in all areas. otherwise food and service good.

HUH??? We were just on the Maasdam in Jan. and the ship was great, although that was just prior to drydock. Hopefully drydock improved things, not adding noise and vibrations. We actually found the Maasdam to be quite quiet. Our cabin was quiet and mostly everywhere, it was quiet.

Have you ever cruised before? You do realize that you are at SEA and not on dry land. LOL. Ships do make noise in certain locations just as airplanes do. Ships do creak and move and especially coming into port, you can hear the changing sounds of the engines and thrusters. For goodness sakes, if people have a problem with being on water, then why do you choose to cruise?? hmmmm??

All I'm getting is the dreaded red 'x' but I have seen photos of 'my' :) Maasdam in drydock. The bulb and hull seemed to have very little paint. She sure needed some TLC below the water line. :) (I'm guessing those are the photos you tried to post here, John? )

When we were in port a few times I looked carefully at the hull .. it appeared to me that she got a major painting while in drydock, even below waterline.

harry

We have been on several, newer, larger cruise ships and the noise and vibrations are not as noticeable on them!!!

I believe that many of the newer and larger ships use AZI pods for their propulsion system. These are more efficient than the straight shaft propeller/rudder systems and would have less noise and vibration. I don't think the Maasdam uses the AZI Pod system.

Archived