Bermuda On a Sunday

Solara

We will be in Bermuda on a Sunday in July. What is open as far as shopping, attractions? How much of the public transportation such as ferries & busses are available?

The Dockyard shops will be open other than that very little. Ferry and bus service is much reduced but they will have extra sections for the south shore beaches. A schedule appears on the first few threads on this page and shows the Sunday schedules hereIts the second link within the thread)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567448

The Dockyard shops will be open other than that very little. Ferry and bus service is much reduced but they will have extra sections for the south shore beaches. A schedule appears on the first few threads on this page and shows the Sunday schedules hereIts the second link within the thread)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=567448

The links don't work on that thread. Also is there a liquor store in the dockyard where we can buy some wine. So NONE of the stores are open in downtown Hamilton?

The links don't work on that thread. Also is there a liquor store in the dockyard where we can buy some wine. So NONE of the stores are open in downtown Hamilton?

wine is no bargain and the selection is not strong. There is a liquor store in the Dockyards but it has a very very small wine selection. They get all their stuff from the US so besides paying the transportation costs to the US(for foreign wines) it is then transported to Bermuda which ads greatly to the cost.

This is a very British island with stores closed on Sunday and every evening save one too. the exception is the touristy Dockyards.

I just tried the second set of links further down and they work fine. As I said scroll down to the second set of links and try them.

Hi Donna..how are you?..how are the wedding plans going? Freddy and I will be going to that beautiful island in June...naturally cant wait...what have you been up to with crusinig? We did a one day cruise to nowhere in January...very interesting!!! Walking around with coats on...and everyone drinking a lot...went on NCL Gem...what a beautiful ship...Let's keep in touch....

Hi Donna..how are you?..how are the wedding plans going? Freddy and I will be going to that beautiful island in June...naturally cant wait...what have you been up to with crusinig? We did a one day cruise to nowhere in January...very interesting!!! Walking around with coats on...and everyone drinking a lot...went on NCL Gem...what a beautiful ship...Let's keep in touch....

Hi Lorna, Wedding plans are moving along & I can't wait until it's over. We sailed on the Emerald in Ocotober & booked the Caribbean Princess again in July after the wedding because I just know I will have to get away. Are you going on a cruise to Bermuda? What cruises do you have planned? Good to hear from you. We should try & keep our CB thread alive., it was great to hear from you.

Donna

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There is no ferry service to St George's on the weekend so you should only think about Hamilton, the south shore beaches (ie Horseshoe, Jobsons etc) and Dockyard - it takes forever to go to St Georges by bus.

You could get a ferry into Hamilton and walk out to Fort Hamilton - it's about a twenty minute walk with some uphill bits but you'll see most of Hamilton on the way and the view from the top is breathtaking (and entry is free)! Then go down the hill to the underwater institute http://www.buei.org/ Then you can walk another few minutes to the end of the harbour and get a bus to the south shore beaches for the afternoon and then continue on the bus back to Dockyard for a little shopping, maybe an ice cream.

There is no ferry service to St George's on the weekend so you should only think about Hamilton, the south shore beaches (ie Horseshoe, Jobsons etc) and Dockyard - it takes forever to go to St Georges by bus.

You could get a ferry into Hamilton and walk out to Fort Hamilton - it's about a twenty minute walk with some uphill bits but you'll see most of Hamilton on the way and the view from the top is breathtaking (and entry is free)! Then go down the hill to the underwater institute http://www.buei.org/ Then you can walk another few minutes to the end of the harbour and get a bus to the south shore beaches for the afternoon and then continue on the bus back to Dockyard for a little shopping, maybe an ice cream.

Are there any stores open in Hamilton? Since you are from Bermuda you would know if any wine is sold in the stores on Sunday? Thanks for your info.

Are there any stores open in Hamilton? Since you are from Bermuda you would know if any wine is sold in the stores on Sunday? Thanks for your info.

Please re-read my message in case you have forgotten what I said.

Sorry. It's true. No spirits, liqueurs, wines.

There is no alcohol sold anywhere on the island from a retail outlet on a Sunday - you can drink in bars and restaurants but you can't buy anything to take with you.

There might perhaps be one or two shops open in Hamilton but I doubt it - I would treat Hamilton and the south shore beaches as sightseeing venues only. That's the reason I suggested the Fort and BUEI - they are open on Sundays.

The shops at Dockyard are likely to be open when a ship is in - but again, not for alcohol on a Sunday!

Please re-read my message in case you have forgotten what I said.

Sorry. It's true. No spirits, liqueurs, wines.

There is no alcohol sold anywhere on the island from a retail outlet on a Sunday - you can drink in bars and restaurants but you can't buy anything to take with you.

There might perhaps be one or two shops open in Hamilton but I doubt it - I would treat Hamilton and the south shore beaches as sightseeing venues only. That's the reason I suggested the Fort and BUEI - they are open on Sundays.

The shops at Dockyard are likely to be open when a ship is in - but again, not for alcohol on a Sunday!

Ok.... Ok......I hear you. I'm glad to have the correct information. I'll just have to deal with it & hopefully we will be able to find someplace before we board in Brooklyn to buy wine.

Thanks again for responding.

The address of the Brooklyn cruise port is:

70 Imlay Street,

Brooklyn, NY 11231

Do a google search for 'liquor store 11231'

I guess it depends how you are getting to the port - it'll probably cost a bit to have a taxi wait while you shop. If you are staying over the previous night, search for stores near your hotel - that's probably easier.

Check with the East Coast departures thread for other people's experience.

The address of the Brooklyn cruise port is:

70 Imlay Street,

Brooklyn, NY 11231

Do a google search for 'liquor store 11231'

I guess it depends how you are getting to the port - it'll probably cost a bit to have a taxi wait while you shop. If you are staying over the previous night, search for stores near your hotel - that's probably easier.

Check with the East Coast departures thread for other people's experience.

The last couple of times we sailed out of Brooklyn we stayed by the airport & there was never anyplace to buy wine so we always waited till the lst port. That's too long to wait on this cruise. We are leaving on a Friday & wouldn't be able to buy any until PR on Tuesday. Will have to check further. Thanks.

The last couple of times we sailed out of Brooklyn we stayed by the airport & there was never anyplace to buy wine so we always waited till the lst port. That's too long to wait on this cruise. We are leaving on a Friday & wouldn't be able to buy any until PR on Tuesday. Will have to check further. Thanks.

They sell wine onboard.

Ok.... Ok......I hear you. I'm glad to have the correct information. I'll just have to deal with it & hopefully we will be able to find someplace before we board in Brooklyn to buy wine.

Thanks again for responding.

There are a couple of stores with in walking distance. The Walk in entrance to the pier is at Imlay and Conover Street. There is a liquor store(poor selection) right by this entrance to the right at Van Brundt and Pioneer....This is also Lenells(better selection high end) further down to your right on Van Brundt but me I would have the cab stop on the way over at the Heights Chateau on Atlantic off Henry Street or at Michael's at henry and Clarkes street this have better selections at reasonable cost. this is also a wine/liquor store in the Pathmark shopping center at 12th street and Hamilton Avenue...open Sunday.

This is from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal- most(not all) of the Bermuda Ships NCL leave from Manhattan and RC leaves from Bayonne

There are a couple of stores with in walking distance. The Walk in entrance to the pier is at Imlay and Conover Street. There is a liquor store(poor selection) right by this entrance to the right at Van Brundt and Pioneer....This is also Lenells(better selection high end) further down to your right on Van Brundt but me I would have the cab stop on the way over at the Heights Chateau on Atlantic off Henry Street or at Michael's at henry and Clarkes street this have better selections at reasonable cost. this is also a wine/liquor store in the Pathmark shopping center at 12th street and Hamilton Avenue...open Sunday.

This is from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal- most(not all) of the Bermuda Ships NCL leave from Manhattan and RC leaves from Bayonne

Lenell's is closed for relocation...

Archived