Question about transportation from Whittier port to Anchorage airport

MichelleVA

We were toying with that idea, too. If we take the train into Anchorage, can we rent a car near the station or wherever the trains come in?

Not so much. Most ANC rentals are either 1) at the airport (which is a good distance from the train station) and scattered throughout midtown ANC.

There's probably something relatively close, but you'd have to do some research. It's not like they have offices at the train station. You could easily just grab a cab at the train station and have them take you to whatever rental car place you choose.

We were toying with that idea, too. If we take the train into Anchorage, can we rent a car near the station or wherever the trains come in?

The train from Whittier to Anchorage is in the evening, and no car rental offices will be open in the downtown area that late.

Hertz, Avis, and Enterprise all have downtown offices. If you're arriving on the weekend, they will have limited hours on Saturday, and most will be closed Sunday.

I just check the price on Avis website, $99 (one day rental)+$33.6(taxes) +$125 (one-way fee) ==total of $257.60

By the time you pay for transfers for 4 people, you will have spent close to the same amount of money as for the rental car. The advantage of the car rental is that you can make stops along the way, and you'll have the car available for sightseeing and dining in Anchorage.

Here's my alternative plan: shuttles from Whittier (9:30am) to Anchorage (11:30am) for $35/p. Then rent a car ($40/day) from anchorage airport to sightseeing around anchorage for 4, 5 hours before flight back to VA....is it a good idea??

How much is your $40 rental car after taxes? (Or maybe that is with taxes.) You would miss being able to stop along the way to Anchorage if you take the shuttle.

Here's my alternative plan: shuttles from Whittier (9:30am) to Anchorage (11:30am) for $35/p. Then rent a car ($40/day) from anchorage airport to sightseeing around anchorage for 4, 5 hours before flight back to VA....is it a good idea??

This is eating up valuable time in my opinion with your extremely short time. What time is your flight??? I would do the one way rental. You will be out the 9am tunnel. Stop at Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Wildlife Conservation, Girdwood, ad lib stops. Then depending on time and interests your places in Anchorage. http://www.anchorage.net

For what it's worth, we used the downtown Avis office last summer. They were open until 5pm on Sunday. They were a 10 minute walk from our B&B (Arctic Fox) and a block from the Weekend Market.

A 4 day rental was hundreds of dollars less than the airport using a discount code my employer allows us to use. Cars can be dropped off at the airport with no drop charge.

This is eating up valuable time in my opinion with your extremely short time. What time is your flight??? I would do the one way rental. You will be out the 9am tunnel. Stop at Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Wildlife Conservation, Girdwood, ad lib stops. Then depending on time and interests your places in Anchorage. www.anchorage.net

Our flight is 5:30pm. Seems like the rental car will be better choices for sightseeing...Do we need to book tours for going to those stops (Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Wildlife Conservation, Girdwood, ad lib stops) ?

Our flight is 5:30pm. Seems like the rental car will be better choices for sightseeing...Do we need to book tours for going to those stops (Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Wildlife Conservation, Girdwood, ad lib stops) ?

Not unless you want to go on a Portage Glacier boat trip. Even then you can probably just show up.

The one way rental would be my choice given your circumstances. It’s expensive but allows you much more flexibility. Since you’re traveling with an 18 month old and a 4 year old you’ll be able to stop as you want along the way and you will be driving along one of the most scenic drives in the state. It will alleviate a lot of inconvenience and maximize the short remaining time you have in Alaska.

With the 5:30pm flight, I only recommend the car rental despite the cost. Wasting time using shuttles is a poor choice, in my opinion. You need to consider being at the airport around 3:30pm, so your time is extremely limited.

No you don't need reservations for any of your list.

Archived