What are things you forgot to take on your cruise???

Hello, All:

We're going on our first cruise on HAL Oosterdam on 7/30 for 12 nights out of Venice.

Since this is our first cruise, we're not really sure what we need to pack. (And with the luggage/weight restrictions on international flights, we need to make sure we pack what we need and not pack what we won't need....)

What are things we definitely should pack and things we don't need?

And, what are one or two important things that you forgot to pack (and what did you do to compensate for forgetting them)??

Thanks!!!

One of those portable luggage scales would have come in handy for the return home. It is hard to just "guestimate" what each bag really weighs, and having to redistribute a few items among the suitcases in the airport to make the weight come out right was a bit stressful.

Here's what I did on our first trip to Europe. For the trip over I used a LARGE purse type carryon....think beach bag sort of. I carried meds, jewelry, my camera, wallet, etc.... but I had a smaller regular purse inside with $$$, passport etc.

While there we shopped ALOT ! When it came time to pack I put any liquids in checked bag (wrapped in clothes ) like lemoncello, greek ouza and olive oil items. But for the other items I purchased a rolling carryon size while in Florence. Packed all the other stuff in there (including a mosaic tile set of 9 tiles from Amalfi :eek:) and the stuff I had in my big bag on the way over. The big bag went into checked suitcase on the bottom as it took up no space at all.

This worked great for us....

I know a lot of people recommend the power strip so we lugged one along; ended up unplugging it because it really got in the way and we weren't using it. Only had camera batteries to charge every few days, and my blow dryer for 5-10 minutes/day. So think about your power needs before bringing one. I'm sure some people make good use of it--we just don't have those same needs.

Cathy

I know a lot of people recommend the power strip so we lugged one along; ended up unplugging it because it really got in the way and we weren't using it. Only had camera batteries to charge every few days, and my blow dryer for 5-10 minutes/day. So think about your power needs before bringing one. I'm sure some people make good use of it--we just don't have those same needs.

Cathy

We never found the need for one either. I would plug in the camera battery charger right before we went to bed each night..... all done in the morning.

Another thing I am doing this trip..... I am bringing two tops for each pair of pants (Mix and match) and I will use the ships laundry if pants get dirty on excursions or whatever. The cost is just not expensive and the convenience is worth it. I had a daytime outfit and a nighttime outfit for each day last time.....and even though I wore everything I could have done with alot less if I had of done the above. (More room in the suitcase for souveniers :D)

We have two nylon duffle bags that fold up to small squares. Going over if weight for one bag is a problem put shoes into the bag and send it through. On the ship or even land portion we put dirty clothes into the bag (fits in closet bottom or under sink)On the way home the dirty clothes travel in the duffle bags and the souveniers go in the sturdier bag. I also "decorate" my bags with glitter paint -- sun picks up the design and I often have been able to spot the bags loaded on plane -- this is particularly good for trips with buses as you can see that your bag was put under the bus. For medications I put a label from the pharmacy on a snack size plastic bag and put the number of pills needed. All of the bags go into a zipper cosmetic bag. Fill all the snack bags and nothing is left out.

Things that are not worth lugging with limited weight/space (to me):

• Blow dryer (the ship has one, it may not be the greatest but I can make do with it.
  • Power strip
  • Full-size toiletries (pack small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste etc and toss them when you've used them up
  • Steamer (just pack clothes that don't wrinkle much or hang them in the shower on board)

In terms of clothing, bring things that you can mix and match. Match evening outfits to a single color (mine is usually black) to limit the number of shoes/purses to pack.

DO bring:

• Comfortable walking shoes
  • A money belt (if you have to carry large amounts of cash on shore or if you feel you must have your passport with you)
  • Any chargers for electronics
  • A few basic medications (I usually bring advil, sudafed, immodium, cough drops, neosporin and band-aids at a minimum) Just don't throw in too many "what if" items -- drugstores are plentiful
  • Any important notes such as phone numbers/emails for private tour operators, hotel registration confirmations, etc.

While you may not want to take a bulky power strip, we always have a 3-plug extension thing for the single outlet. It's about 3 inches long and accommodates all our electronic needs while not taking up any dresser, desk or suitcase space.

Also, you will not need bathrobes because HAL provides them for every room.

If you are staying in Europe before or after your cruise, you will want to take outlet adaptors, etc.

Read everyone's remarks, all helpful. Remember to limit the amount of clothes you bring. Not necessary for so much. Bring a light jacket that folds for rain or wind; a tiny umbrella too; a few extra hangers in case; dark colored pants in case they get a spot or 2 and can wear them twice; some benadryl for itching, sunscreen, cold tabs, any allergy meds, all in small sizes as well as travel sized deodorant, toothpaste, extra conditioner(usually don't have this), extra soap, small Febreze for wrinkles($1.98 at Walmart), small Lysol (also cheap at Walmarts), layer clothes in the heat with a top and maybe a blouse over it with capris or jeans and comfy shoes like what everyone said (nikes, eccos, cole haan rubber soled, mephistos, merrills or sneaks), no heavy jackets, raincoats or the like for the summer(it gets pretty hot), an adaptor if you are staying in a European hotel after or before to charge cellphones and camera batteries (sold cheaply at AAA); Bucky pillow for my neck no matter what; must cover your knees and shoulders in holy places so bring long scarf or light sweater; men, don't wear awful short shorts, way too inappropriate and I might say so for women too; for the beach in Greece okay but not in the cities; do wear a moneybelt and make copies of each others passports and other important info you need(friends had their bags stolen in Rome and their passports too. Had to go to the embassy and a lot of money and trouble later got home). Careful of pickpockets in Italy, no kidding. They are working you in the tourist areas, so keep your cameras, money and other valuables close. We saw two gypsies posing as tourists pulling a woman's purse, got it and threw it to one another and the one that caught it got away. Don't, I repeat, don't wear valuable jewelry every day. If they see you coming, they will pull you in off the streets. We were in Mykonos, and a man came from inside a jewelry store and pulled my friend in. Had gypsies follow us down the hill on Rhodes all the way up to the bus. NO nice jewelry; wear copies if you must at all. Or, keep it in the safe onboard and wear it to dinner only. Sorry. If you have more questions about what to bring, I could go on and on. The thing is too many shoes, purses and jackets weigh the suitcase down. Think clearly and know that you can send your stuff to the laundry aboard ship too. Sometimes I rinse things out myself and no problem.

Good luck.

bjrose;)

While you may not want to take a bulky power strip, we always have a 3-plug extension thing for the single outlet. It's about 3 inches long and accommodates all our electronic needs while not taking up any dresser, desk or suitcase space.

Also, you will not need bathrobes because HAL provides them for every room.

If you are staying in Europe before or after your cruise, you will want to take outlet adaptors, etc.

The above is what we brought on our Jade cruise and it worked out great and was so convenient! I could plug in my portable hair rollers, recharge our camera batteries and MP3 player all at the same time.

Your best friend for travel is a comprehensive packing list. Once you figure out what you need for a cruise (which is actually not that much different from what you need for a land vacation), commit it to paper so you can pull it out for reference while you're packing in the future.

It may take a few trips to hone it, but it's worthwhile.

I now have a bulletproof packing list, which not only has summer and winter categories but also categories based on the type of travel (car vs. plane). So good, in fact, that my first inclination about posting to this thread was to just type "nothing".

Read everyone's remarks, all helpful. Remember to limit the amount of clothes you bring. Not necessary for so much. Bring a light jacket that folds for rain or wind; a tiny umbrella too; a few extra hangers in case; dark colored pants in case they get a spot or 2 and can wear them twice; some benadryl for itching, sunscreen, cold tabs, any allergy meds, all in small sizes as well as travel sized deodorant, toothpaste, extra conditioner(usually don't have this), extra soap, small Febreze for wrinkles($1.98 at Walmart), small Lysol (also cheap at Walmarts), layer clothes in the heat with a top and maybe a blouse over it with capris or jeans and comfy shoes like what everyone said (nikes, eccos, cole haan rubber soled, mephistos, merrills or sneaks), no heavy jackets, raincoats or the like for the summer(it gets pretty hot), an adaptor if you are staying in a European hotel after or before to charge cellphones and camera batteries (sold cheaply at AAA); Bucky pillow for my neck no matter what; must cover your knees and shoulders in holy places so bring long scarf or light sweater; men, don't wear awful short shorts, way too inappropriate and I might say so for women too; for the beach in Greece okay but not in the cities; do wear a moneybelt and make copies of each others passports and other important info you need(friends had their bags stolen in Rome and their passports too. Had to go to the embassy and a lot of money and trouble later got home). Careful of pickpockets in Italy, no kidding. They are working you in the tourist areas, so keep your cameras, money and other valuables close. We saw two gypsies posing as tourists pulling a woman's purse, got it and threw it to one another and the one that caught it got away. Don't, I repeat, don't wear valuable jewelry every day. If they see you coming, they will pull you in off the streets. We were in Mykonos, and a man came from inside a jewelry store and pulled my friend in. Had gypsies follow us down the hill on Rhodes all the way up to the bus. NO nice jewelry; wear copies if you must at all. Or, keep it in the safe onboard and wear it to dinner only. Sorry. If you have more questions about what to bring, I could go on and on. The thing is too many shoes, purses and jackets weigh the suitcase down. Think clearly and know that you can send your stuff to the laundry aboard ship too. Sometimes I rinse things out myself and no problem.

Good luck.

bjrose;)

Excellent information - thanks bjrose

• 2 weeks later...

We use Princess and always take a travel alarm clock. I like to glance at the clock when I wake up in the middle of the night plus I like to have a back-up to the wake-up calls. Following is my standard checklist, not counting clothing,etc. (I only needed the Dramamine once but it was expensive on the ship and the line was long due to unusually high winds.) Enjoy!

Cash Hotel confirmation Tickets / E-tickets / cruise documents Passports Drivers license Health insurance card Credit cards Debit cards Medicine including Dramamine Parking card and coupons Alarm clock I-Pod / charger / headphones Pedometer / battery (CR2032) Camera / battery charger / battery / memory chip Binoculars Books Coffee mugs Propel mix Glasses / sunclasses / contacts Watch Cell phone and charger Addresses for postcards Snacks Baggage tags Cruise insurance documents

What are things we definitely should pack and things we don't need?

Mutiple socket outlet incl. min. 3 feet extention cord...

And, what are one or two important things that you forgot to pack (and what did you do to compensate for forgetting them)??

The pants for our tuxedos...

was nice how the Maître smuggled us into the restaurant and we sit there before all others came and could not be polite to stand up when the ladies at our table came to greet them...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived