track pants ok on casual nite w/button down shirt

beyoung

My son does not wear jeans so thankfully that is not an issue for us- however he does have his own "look" he wears track pants, like by nike a silky nylon material and button down "hawaiin type" shirts, the pants match the shirts and neither has holes in them or are faded.He wears these with either dock side shoes or tennis shoes.

I am having him bring a suit and a white dinner jacket for formal nights but will his normal apparell be ok in the dining room on casual nights? I am especially concerned as we have booked normandie for the first night at 6:30 and I don't know if our luggage will get to our stateroom in time for me to unpack something more appropriate for him, the track pants and button downs fit easy into his carry on.

It appears on X that people are very concerned with what other's are wearing and I don't want anyone upset with us.From what I read it seems as if the pants would be ok as they are not jeans but figured I better check in advance.

Seriously, I see nothing wrong with this attire on the first night . . . even in a specialty restaurant. I would hazard a guess that 50% of the folks on board the first day have not fully unpacked by suppertime.

As to the other nights, other folks more familiar with this "look" will have to give you an answer.

Well, you're certain to get lots of folks blasting away at you about this... track, or exercise, pants would likely not be considered 'appropriate' for dining anywhere but the buffet by many folks.

Look at it this way; would you be comfortable if he - or any other patron - wore those pants to, say, Ruth's Chris or any other high-end restaurant in your area for dinner?

However, since it's the first night, it's likely that allowances will be made :D. There are ppl who don't get their luggage in time to change for dinner, and if the Maitre d' asks, you can state that that's the case.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

The last time we ate in the Normandy - not the first night - everyone was dressed at least as well as they dressed for a normal dinner. Most men, even young men, had a sports coat

on.

I can't imagine someone wearing their exercise pants to a dinner in the Normandy, even if

they are a teenager! Doesn't he have a pair of slacks and a nice polo shirt? The waiters are dressed in tuxedos and it is the most formal dining you can have aboard a ship, save the QM2.

If I were you, I would cancel the reservation for the first night. You will be to tired to enjoy it and won't even have the time to freshen up in your cabin. At $30 a person plus additional charges for wine, its not a dinner you would want to waste. Will your son even enjoy this

stuffy setting especiall6y considering how long it will take to dine in this setting?

Will they keep him out? no, will you offend some people, yes. you are clearly concerned enough to ask on a public forum and Celebrity states in their on line information what the dress codes are for various venues and times. So the question is do you care enough?

I agree some passengers, even those to whom it matters the most will cut you some slack on first night.

Personally I did not notice anybody dressed in exercise attire in the dining room on my Celebrity cruise. IMHO it would not be appropriate. Perhaps in the main dining room on the first &/or last night, but not in a specialty restaurant and not on other nights in the main dining room. The track pants should be fine for breakfast and lunch, but for dinner probably not (unless you opt for the casual dining venue in the buffet area).

If I would be the Celebrity Maitre d and see somebody coming in Track pants into the restuarant I would ask him to leave and dress propper! Honestly they will ask him to dress propper! Track pants belong to the GYM and not into a restaurant!

Too funny this board bhoos "Jeans" but OK's Track Pants...a JOKE!

When I first saw the topic I thought it was a joke. I understand now that it's a teenager we're talking about, and I know it can be hard to get them to dress how you want them to. We have 7 kids combined and 13 grandkids so I know of what I speak.

Having said that, I might consider letting my teenager go into the MDR on the first night dressed in track pants, but def. not in the specialty restaurant. Even on the first night, that is elegant doinign to the max and track pants just won't cut it.

I think you may be confusing "smart casual" with 'casual'. Smart casual denotes what you would wear to a country club setting or an upscale restaurant at home--no jacket and tie, but sharply dressed.

I hope this doesn't present a huge problem for you--but that same shirt and a pair of dockers would be no problem, if that helps at all.

best of luck

Cathy

The last time we ate in the Normandy - not the first night - everyone was dressed at least as well as they dressed for a normal dinner. Most men, even young men, had a sports coat

on.

I can't imagine someone wearing their exercise pants to a dinner in the Normandy, even if

they are a teenager! Doesn't he have a pair of slacks and a nice polo shirt? The waiters are dressed in tuxedos and it is the most formal dining you can have aboard a ship, save the QM2.

If I were you, I would cancel the reservation for the first night. You will be to tired to enjoy it and won't even have the time to freshen up in your cabin. At $30 a person plus additional charges for wine, its not a dinner you would want to waste. Will your son even enjoy this

stuffy setting especiall6y considering how long it will take to dine in this setting?

Well I asked so I am going to take into consideration how many feathers were ruffled and have him wear a pair of dockers. They are not "excercise pants" and you did make me giggle about the QM2 since when we sailed her two years ago and ate in the Princess Grill no one batted an eye on casual night as to what he was wearing,maybe because they were all enjoying their own families and wonderful experience.

He certainly does not look like a bum or sloppy the track pants are not tattered and his shirts are ironed in fact the pants probably cost three times the price of what some people refer to as "formal wear" lol.

But as I can tell already that it is very important to others what he will be wearing I will have him wear some dockers for the meal. I am not sure how you think I will be too tired to enjoy my dinner and my son certainly does appreciate fine food.

Thanks for the advice I am very pleased to be forewarned

When I first saw the topic I thought it was a joke. I understand now that it's a teenager we're talking about, and I know it can be hard to get them to dress how you want them to. We have 7 kids combined and 13 grandkids so I know of what I speak.

Having said that, I might consider letting my teenager go into the MDR on the first night dressed in track pants, but def. not in the specialty restaurant. Even on the first night, that is elegant doinign to the max and track pants just won't cut it.

I think you may be confusing "smart casual" with 'casual'. Smart casual denotes what you would wear to a country club setting or an upscale restaurant at home--no jacket and tie, but sharply dressed.

I hope this doesn't present a huge problem for you--but that same shirt and a pair of dockers would be no problem, if that helps at all.

best of luck

Cathy

Thanks Cathy, I will have him wear the dockers it is not a big problem at all. I was thinking in terms of our country club here at home, we dine there at least once a month and he wears the track pants, it is the style here for teenagers (one I much prefer over baggy jeans) however I can certianly tell that others would be offended so he can wear them on the plane. The reason I asked is that X's website only mentions pants and a sport shirt for casual night, it did not specify the type of pants. When I looked about the specialty dining it said that it reflects what ever the main dining is.

Clearly many people find it disturbing and that is not how I want to start my vacation with people upset with our attitre. It is just as easy to pop a pair of dress pants in the carry on bag. Glad I found out now :)

Well, they don't call it Cruise CRITIC for nothing!:p But it really is a font of information as well as a sounding board. Since I wear jeans/cords and a sweater with boots to work every day, I have to work hard to come up with suitable clothing for a 14 night cruise. On our last cruise, taking the published dress code to heart, I wore shorts (the only pair I brought) and (nice) flip flops to the dining room for brunch. I soon realized I was the ONLY person dressed that way and was uncomfortable for the whole meal.

That being said, each cruise has its own personality. Our Med cruise was generally very well dressed, but a fellow poster who went on the following cruise was appalled at the casualness of dress and reported people coming to dinner in track suits and tennis shoes. So you never know. But the very fact that you are asking is great--I think a lot of people never read the cruise info (which I pore over incessantly) and like someone said last week, "I had no idea there WAS a dress code!"

Have a great cruise!!

Cathy

I don't find it disturbing that he wants to wear track pants and from what I read already, most don't find it disturbing, maybe a little inappropriate.

Think of the Normandy as a fine restaurant, with a wonderful ambience, fine food and oozing with culture. The Maitre D will not turn you away, and no one will say anything to you. If you are comfortable dining in a beautiful venue with the waiters dressed in tuxedos and your son in track pants then go for it.

Personally, I would ask my son to wear something more appropriate for the occasion.

Well I asked so I am going to take into consideration how many feathers were ruffled and have him wear a pair of dockers. They are not "excercise pants" and you did make me giggle about the QM2 since when we sailed her two years ago and ate in the Princess Grill no one batted an eye on casual night as to what he was wearing,maybe because they were all enjoying their own families and wonderful experience.

He certainly does not look like a bum or sloppy the track pants are not tattered and his shirts are ironed in fact the pants probably cost three times the price of what some people refer to as "formal wear" lol.

But as I can tell already that it is very important to others what he will be wearing

1) Track Pants are excercise attire. This is a description of track pants from Nike's web site: "Take another lap in the Nike Knit Men's Track Pants, a soft, comfortable pant designed to team with the Nike Knit Men's Track Jacket. Dri-FIT knit wicks away sweat to keep you dry and comfortable from warm-up to cool down. Elastic waist with internal drawcord On-seam zippered pockets Leg zips with reflective taping Fabric: Dri-FIT 90% polyester/10% spandex French terry Imported"

2) The price of clothing is 100% irrelevant to whether it is dressy or not. My running shoes cost double my dress shoes I bought for my tuxedo, but I would never dream of wearing them to a fancy restaurant.

3) It is not that people find it as "important" as to what your son wears or that they will get into a tizzy if he wears work out clothes to dinner. You asked for advice as to whether it would be apporpriate attire and several people have informed you that it most certainly is not.

So if Teenagers feel comfortible to wear just boxer shorts to a restaurant...would it be ok, just because they are Teenagers??? NO!!!!

In certain enviroments regardless of age there is a dress code to be followed by all!

oh you crack me up- no I would not allow him to wear just his boxers in public in any setting (although you are insightful figuring out he does wear them as many of his peer group don't lol)

I will have him wear some dress pants and leave the dockers for the main dining room. I did look at the dress code and it simply says "pants" on smart casual night. It does amuse me how many people are worked up about this though. And yes it would not bother me in the least if he wore them, he is a good kid,clean cut, straight A's does not drink or do drugs, I would take that over a thug wearing a tux any day.

No worries folks he will be properly dressed at all times...

too funny how worked up people can get- glad I am forwarned.

Thanks again Cathy

Your son might be able to "get away with" track pants, just because no one wants to make a scene by singling out the one or two people who might show up at the specialty restaurant so attired. But I think you know that it would not be "appropriate" attire for the Normandie, which is a very beautiful restaurant, with great food and excellent service from a wait staff attired in tuxedos.

I think you are teaching your son a very important lesson by asking him to bring a pair of pants that would fall within the "Smart Casual" dress code. I know what it is like trying to discuss appropriate dress with teenagers. Been there, have the scars to show for it, but my two made it through their teen years and learned a few things about social conventions along the way :rolleyes:.

I am interested in what you said about your country club. Do they really accept track pants for evening dining attire, or is that just for breakfast, lunch and sporting events?

X cruisers are TOTAL fashion neurotics... so - if you are concerned about offending someone... either stay ashore or have too! Your chances of NOT offending someone - no matter what you wear - are just too small to allow it to get in the way of a good meal!

You see - personally - I was fine with the silky nylon track pants UNTIL you put a button down shirt with it... OOOOOOOOOH! - THAT gave me the willies! :D (I mean, if you're going to go sporty - stay sporty - with a golf or rugby style shirt! I'm getting vertigo apparel motion sickness thinking about it. :eek:)

Enjoy!

Archived