Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

GTJ - Band1mom is looking for the quickest way to Penn Station NY for her friends coming from the Holiday Inn. The bus you are suggesting is undoubtedly the least expensive way to get to Manhattan, but it also leaves them at Port Authority and has an hourly schedule except for rush hour. I don't think it is the optimal choice for "out-of-towners".

It is a bit of a toss-up. On the one hand, you've got a shuttle from the hotel to the airport, an AirTrain ride from the airport to the railroad station, then a train ride to Penn Station. On the other hand, you've a shuttle from the hotel to the bus stop on the other side of the highway, then a bus ride to PABT, then a 10 block walk.

I would go for the bus, but as I suggested it is a bit of a toss-up best decided by the traveler. For some travelers who are staying at airport hotels in Elizabeth there are alternatives that might be better (e.g., get the commuter train at the Elizabeth station rather than the airport station), but alas, that's not the case here. In any case, my preference is having information so I can decide rather than having someone else decide for me.

Not really - I'm not recommending the hotel shuttle back to the airport and Airtrain to Newark Airport Station. I'm recommending a cab from the Holiday Inn 2.6 miles directly to Newark Penn Station and then the train directly to New York Penn Station, which is their destination area to meet friends in NY. Airtrain would be $30 for two people. Cab and train would be $20-25 plus $8. Definitely more expensive than the $4.40 express bus, but definitely easier and a more flexible schedule for folks from out of town

GTJ - I believe that the instructions given by 138East is what will work best for my friends. While the bus etc, maybe cheaper, the cab to the station is the more direct route. And also, more flexibile as we don't know the timing as yet.

I'm going to get online and check the train schedules for the train also.

Thanks to both of you for helping me out on this. If you ever come to Los Angeles, let me know. I'll can give you directions to the only Musical Road in North America. It's right here where I live. Here's a clue, if you've seen the Honda Civic commercials where they drive over a road that plays music, that's what I'm talking about. :D

GTJ - I believe that the instructions given by 138East is what will work best for my friends. While the bus etc, maybe cheaper, the cab to the station is the more direct route. And also, more flexible as we don't know the timing as yet.

I'm going to get online and check the train schedules for the train also.

It will work well for you. During the day and most of the evening the trains run often enough that you'll likely not have to wait an unreasonable amount of time. But it is good to have the schedule in hand so that you can minimize any unnecessary waiting.

The area around Newark Airport is dominated by highways and many areas are not very friendly to pedestrians. As a result the ease or difficulty of getting around on the bus and/or train can vary substantially from hotel to hotel, depending on the exact location of the hotel. The Holiday Inn and its neighbors (Sheraton and Howard Johnson) are somewhat isolated, bounded in front by an interstate highway and in back by railroad tracks. Fortunately it is a short trip by highway from the hotel to Penn Station--just over 3 miles--so the trip will only be a few dollars. Just don't let the hotel rip you off by calling an expensive limousine for what ought to be a cheap taxi tide.

Thanks to both of you for helping me out on this. If you ever come to Los Angeles, let me know. I'll can give you directions to the only Musical Road in North America. It's right here where I live. Here's a clue, if you've seen the Honda Civic commercials where they drive over a road that plays music, that's what I'm talking about. :D

I traveled to the west coast late last year on business. It was, perhaps, the perfect arrival into Los Angeles. Not only is Union Station a magnificent portal to the city, but my train from Chicago arrived early. After concluding business in Irvine, and not wanting to re-trace the same route back to the east coast on Amtrak, I continued south to San Diego and boarded the Celebrity Mercury for a 14-night voyage to Florida, then overnight on Amtrak from Ft. Lauderdale to New York.

A business colleague transported me around Los Angeles and over to the hotel in Newport Beach, but I was reimbursed for the taxi between Newport Beach and the station in Santa Ana (but $35 for that transfer: ouch!). I would have have liked to have taken the OCTA bus, but the no. 55 route--I believe it is the most direct bus route--takes 90 minutes to make the journey from Fashion Island to Santa Ana, then there's a one-mile walk from the bus stop to the station (if I were on holiday and not traveling on business I probably would have gone by bus). It was a nice short walk between the Santa Fe station in San Diego and the pier, and after dropping off the luggage at the pier I enjoyed myself in San Diego using a day pass on the local transit system.

Hello everyone,

We are a group from Denmark, who will go on a cruise out of Bayonne NJ on November 29, 2009. In total we are eight persons (2 kids age 6&9, 2 parents, and 4 grandparents). Some of the grandparents are not able to walk longer distances.

We will be flying into JFK the day before the cruise (unfortunately no attractive flights to Newark!). As we arrive at JFK at around 7 pm, we intend to stay in a hotel close to JFK for the first night. Any recommendations for a hotel close to JFK for the first night? Right now we are considering the Fairfield Inn by Marriot as a potential choice (restaurant, shuttle from Airport etc.).

The next morning we will go directly to the ship (crossing NYC to Bayonne). From previous posts, I understand the best solution would be to use a car service.

After our cruise we will have 1½ day in NYC before we fly home from JFK the following day at 6 pm. We would like to use this 1½ day for sightseeing and some shopping. Do you have any recommendations for a convenient hotel in the price range up to approx. 150 $ per room. If possible we would like to head directly from the cruise terminal to our hotel in order to leave the luggage, and then go for sightseeing in the big apple. Taking this into consideration, what kind of transportation would you recommend to the hotel?

I am not sure whether it would be better to spend a little more on the hotel in order to obtain a more central location, rather than using a lot of time and money on transportation between the hotel and the major attractions in the Manhattan area.

After our sightseeing and shopping, should we take a taxi to JFK or would a car service again be the best solution?

Any recommendation would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi GreatDane41! Let me summarize your requirements so that others can respond better to you.

1) Hotel room at JFK on Nov. 28 (Saturday)

2) Car service for 8 people JFK to Bayonne - morning of Nov. 29 (Sunday)

3) Car service to NY - morning of Dec 11 (Friday)

4) Hotel rooms in NY - Dec 11 (Friday) - budget $150

5) Car Service/2 cabs to JFK - Saturday afternoon Dec12

The most difficult item will be hotel rooms for $150. Do you require 2 rooms for 4 people each or 3 rooms - 1 for 4 people and 2 for 2 people? The problem with NY hotels is that if you go below 3*, there is no guarantee as to what kind of hotel you will get.

Having said that, take a look at www.kayak.com - I am seeing the Hotel Edison offered at $151 (plus tax). Great location at Times Square - For the price more than acceptable reviews on Tripadvisor for what I would consider to be a more modest budget hotel. Chances are you would have to prepay this hotel to get such a fantastic rate.

Hi 138east!

As for point 4) we would need 3 rooms - 1 for 4 people and 2 for 2 people.

I am aware that we might have to accept a room priced above $150 - this would not be critical as we Europeans currently benefit from the attractive $ exchange rate:)

I will have a look at kayak.com in a moment.

Thanks.

Today I reserved Black Car Transportation to pick us up at the end of our cruise and take us to Queens area, NYC. Received a quote within 24 hours. However, they wanted credit card info via return/reply e-mail, which my husband said, nope not going to send CC info that way. Made a phone call, their "business" person called me back. Received confirmation e-mail this evening.

I had called another service but they weren't very flexible about the time of pick up. With Black Car I gave them an approximate time, they said once you have your baggage, give us a call, we'll be right there. That works for us!! Sounded much more willing to flexible than the other service I called.

So I'll let you know how it goes.

Today I reserved Black Car Transportation to pick us up at the end of our cruise and take us to Queens area, NYC. Received a quote within 24 hours. However, they wanted credit card info via return/reply e-mail, which my husband said, nope not going to send CC info that way. Made a phone call, their "business" person called me back. Received confirmation e-mail this evening.

I had called another service but they weren't very flexible about the time of pick up. With Black Car I gave them an approximate time, they said once you have your baggage, give us a call, we'll be right there. That works for us!! Sounded much more willing to flexible than the other service I called.

So I'll let you know how it goes.

We used this company for our cruise last July and were very satisfied with their service. I am sure you will be also.

i actually called them with the CC info i think..but we paid cash...(did you speak with myrna??) we had no issue.............

Yes, I spoke with Myrna. She was very pleasant. Another service I had called, the gentleman obviously didn't want the money. When I advised that we needed some flexibility with pick up time, he said, very abruptly that they'd only wait 30 minutes and then it would start costing us. His service didn't appear to be used to picking passengers up at the cruise ship terminal. Myrna was nice, said "ok, around 10A, call us when you have your luggage." Well, that was a lot better than the other phone call. Yes, gave her a CC to confirm the reservation and we'll be paying cash at the time of transportation.

10 more days before we leave, can wait!

Hi Meg and carol..remember me...the pain in the neck who pesterd you folks a couple of months ago with a bunch of questions about staying in Newark and transportation into NYC. I have about 3 pages of notes and info that you provided to me...Well, guess what.... I am now staying in NYC at 343 West 44th(between 8th and 9th Street --a new Comfort Inn that just opened up 9/1/09. Rate of $186 per night (total) 2 nights. So we are still flying into Newark, taking transportation into NYC the day of arrival. Transportation into NYC well, Carmel is $43.00 + $11.00 tolls + tip ...airport to Comfort Inn. We could take Olympic Express bus for $22.50 ( for the two of us-$7.50 for me and $15.00 for wife)) that would be EWR to Port Authority in NYC(42nd Street and 8th Avenue???) which looks like 2 blocks from our hotel. The bus is cheaper, but would have to get a cab from Port Authority to Hotel..because I think handling 2 fairly large suitcases and 2 carry ons might be a little 'tuff' to walk dealing with people traffic, not sure how long the blocks are, etc etc. Could I even get a cab for 2 blocks without the cab driver driving all over the place to even make a fare !! :D Any thoughts.

Nice to talk to you folks again.

Frank f

hi frank....we missed you. let me read your post again..................and i guess carol will pop in...if she's done packing...that scoundrel is going on Explorer this weekend...:mad::(:D:D

not sure what the cab would think..you could offer him a nice little tip for the trouble.

i am not a big fan of buses with luggage, so even though it's more, i would use the car service...door to door...comfy and no hauling of carp!

Take the cab from Port Authority. It's not two blocks. PA is 40-41st Street. Go out to 8th Avenue. The cab will have to go north on 8th Ave to 45th St., left over to 9th Ave., and left on 44th St. to your hotel. NY cabs have to take you where you want to go within NY.

We will be returning to Cape Liberty on Dec. 11th. and are going to Manhattan/Chelsea. Was thinking of car service earlier, but was very unsure of what time to request pickup. Can you please let us know the contact details for this Black Car service? Preferably URL if exists.

Thanks, Thomas

We will be returning to Cape Liberty on Dec. 11th. and are going to Manhattan/Chelsea. Was thinking of car service earlier, but was very unsure of what time to request pickup. Can you please let us know the contact details for this Black Car service? Preferably URL if exists.

Thanks, Thomas

hi thomas..

'

www.blackexecutivecars.com

they generally reply very quickly! and they will work with you on the pickup time as they realize that the ship gets in at different times.

Greetings, after having read the first 20 pages of this thread I sort of got confused and lost the will to live!! It is 9.30pm here and had a long day which probably not helped but I think instead of researching this thread it seems better to ask directly so here goes:

We fly in to Newark at 7.30pm from the UK on Saturday 19th Dec for Explorer cruise to Caribbean - 2 adults and 2 kids (7 & 5). First question - is it best to stay in airport area and get black exec cars to take us directly to the port the following day or stay in a hotel nearer the port and then get a regular cab to the check-in on the day? As for budget we just need basic with a restaurant/bar, we have 2 young kids so the cost is a factor but then I don't really want Holiday Inn either.

I think I've got to grips of the check-in procedure (and getting my diet cokes before boarding!)

2nd question - on our return to port on Jan 4th we want to do a couple of days sightseeing (leave 8am on the 6th Jan). My husband and I have done NY so it is mainly for the kids. I think the 2 main things they want to see is the Rockefella Xmas tree (they just watched Home Alone in NY) and the Empire State and the ice skating in the park (cos after the cruise they should be able to skate right?) So getting back to the question - where do you recommend we stay that is a,value for money as we will eat out all the time and b, easily accessable for the tube (underground) to get to the sites I mentioned. Last time we stayed in Times Square area but that was pre-kids and it was a flie-pit place that cost a fortune.

3rd Question, other than the above mentioned is there anywhere else we should take the kids that will be memorable for them.

I thank you in advance

Greetings, after having read the first 20 pages of this thread I sort of got confused and lost the will to live!! It is 9.30pm here and had a long day which probably not helped but I think instead of researching this thread it seems better to ask directly so here goes:

Don't give up the will yet! You might not get a refund on the cruise fare is you give it all up now! :)

We fly in to Newark at 7.30pm from the UK on Saturday 19th Dec for Explorer cruise to Caribbean - 2 adults and 2 kids (7 & 5). First question - is it best to stay in airport area and get black exec cars to take us directly to the port the following day or stay in a hotel nearer the port and then get a regular cab to the check-in on the day? As for budget we just need basic with a restaurant/bar, we have 2 young kids so the cost is a factor but then I don't really want Holiday Inn either.

You're essentially asking for just a bed for the night. Here's my analysis. You're going to pay a bit each time you use a taxi or car, so from a financial perspective it is best to limit the number of exposures. Staying near the airport will allow you to use a hotel courtesy car between the airport and the hotel, and pay only for the taxi or car between the airport hotel and the cruise port. On the other hand, staying closer to the port would require you to use a taxi or car between the airport and hotel, and then again between the hotel and the port. There are no respectable hotels within Bayonne, so the closest you will find are in Jersey City. Even so, it is not that much closer from Jersey City compared to Newark. The only significant advantage I see for going to Jersey City for the night is that you would be able to take a pleasant evening stroll along the Jersey waterfront, whereas nearly all the hotels near the airport are surrounded by highways. My vote would be, reluctantly, to go for the airport hotel.

2nd question - on our return to port on Jan 4th we want to do a couple of days sightseeing (leave 8am on the 6th Jan). My husband and I have done NY so it is mainly for the kids. I think the 2 main things they want to see is the Rockefella Xmas tree (they just watched Home Alone in NY) and the Empire State and the ice skating in the park (cos after the cruise they should be able to skate right?) So getting back to the question - where do you recommend we stay that is a,value for money as we will eat out all the time and b, easily accessable for the tube (underground) to get to the sites I mentioned. Last time we stayed in Times Square area but that was pre-kids and it was a flie-pit place that cost a fortune.

3rd Question, other than the above mentioned is there anywhere else we should take the kids that will be memorable for them.

I thank you in advance

Midtown Manhattan is likely going to be your most expensive choice. Moderate-priced accommodations oftentimes do not provide the level of quality many people seek (for an extreme example search for the Carter Hotel on tripadvisor.com). Staying outside of midtown Manhattan will allow you save a little on the hotel cost if you're willing to make the longer trip on public transportation. Since you're vessel is arriving in Bayonne, and your flight home presumably will be departing from Newark, it would likely be reasonably convenient then for you to stay in New Jersey and take the train into midtown Manhattan. The largest collection of hotels close to Manhattan are the ones along the waterfront in Jersey City. There are several there, all of which are convenient to the PATH train (a.k.a. "Hudson Tubes") into Manhattan. The train fare is $1.75 per person each way. Some people have also chosen to stay in downtown Newark; this location is also served by PATH trains, but is further removed from Manhattan. Once in midtown Manhattan you could either walk everywhere, or invest $8 per person for a FunPass that allows for unlimited bus and subway travel within New York.

Thank you very much for all your useful hints on this thread. I will follow the advice you gave me a few months ago about public transport from Manhattan to Bayonne and Cape Liberty. We will arrive in JFK on Friday and are so excited to explore New York.

Kind regards

Dolores

Thank you very much for all your useful hints on this thread. I will follow the advice you gave me a few months ago about public transport from Manhattan to Bayonne and Cape Liberty. We will arrive in JFK on Friday and are so excited to explore New York.

Kind regards

Dolores

Just curious-are you going to try the city bus from Manhattan to Bayonne?? Have you made arrangements for a taxi from the bus stop into the port??? Let us know how it goes with public transport from Manhattan with cruise luggage. Enjoy your cruise!!!!

This isn't a Jersey question but I'm sure you would be able to help me out.

We are staying in Manhattan the night before the cruise but we will not get to our hotel until 11ish at night. That means we only have a few hours in the morning to see what we can see of Manhattan. We had planned to take the Greyline tour around but then saw we can have a car service for 2 hours for the same price dial7 or Carmel limo and we were thinking of walking over to times square and seeing Rockefeller Plaza going to the Top of the Rock then meeting the car service back at hotel getting our luggage and seeing the rest of the sights on the way to near the Brooklyn Bridge and then we would have to have a car waiting to take us from there to the pier. The only advantage this would be is we can stop fast where we want and take pics and go and not wait for the next Greyline bus to come and go back up to the hotel to get our luggage just to go all the way back down. Our plans would be to leave near the Seaport area around 1:30 or 2 to get to the ship.

What is your opinion on which way to take in the sights?

Guest maddycat
This isn't a Jersey question but I'm sure you would be able to help me out.

We are staying in Manhattan the night before the cruise but we will not get to our hotel until 11ish at night. That means we only have a few hours in the morning to see what we can see of Manhattan. We had planned to take the Greyline tour around but then saw we can have a car service for 2 hours for the same price dial7 or Carmel limo and we were thinking of walking over to times square and seeing Rockefeller Plaza going to the Top of the Rock then meeting the car service back at hotel getting our luggage and seeing the rest of the sights on the way to near the Brooklyn Bridge and then we would have to have a car waiting to take us from there to the pier. The only advantage this would be is we can stop fast where we want and take pics and go and not wait for the next Greyline bus to come and go back up to the hotel to get our luggage just to go all the way back down. Our plans would be to leave near the Seaport area around 1:30 or 2 to get to the ship.

What is your opinion on which way to take in the sights?

If I remember correctly, you have to be at the ship 90 minutes to 2 hours prior to departure. If not, they can and will deny you boarding. The ship is usually scheduled to sail at 5 pm but has been known to leave at 4:30.

Not that long ago, someone posted on CC that they were denied boarding because they arrived too late at the pier. Their flight had been delayed.

Something else that you better consider is the heavy traffic in the NYC/NJ area. You don't want to miss the ship altogether.

Archived