?? about walkie talkies or??? to keep in touch

motherchic

Yea, we went though the phase of the WT's a while back & they are convenient off the ship the aggravation on board wasn't worth the trouble. They're great when the wife is shopping in St Thomas & gets lost in one of the stores but on board the ship it's just as easy to let each other know where we'll be in the morning & when to meet.

Scotsnomad, you are beating a dead horse. People will run the radios when and where they want, even in a foreign country. Actually, we probably ought to be concerned about the level of radio and radar emissions being generated by the ship's equipment. A number of antennas are mounted right where people walk around on the deck. Wonder what power levels they are generating?

In 25 cruises, I've never lost my DW on the ship. We just tell each other where we will be.

Do people really think they are going to get their kiddos to carry WT's around? How un-cool in front of the other kids.:rolleyes:

Yes, seems that way, such is todays modern life.....

As regards the aerials around the ship - Just for information but unless there is a red circle or the base of it is painted read then you will find that these are only receive aerials and so you wont get 'zapped' by those wobblies !!!.....

Still you can only offer the advice in the hope that one person notes it and it saves them a lot of hassle.

The fact that the term 'Walkie talkie' is a general term could in effect mean that it might or might not be marine band, the 30 mile range however would to me indicate that there is a higher than normal likelihood that they are marine band. So chances are that you would at least cause some interference in Maritime communications (Ship to ship, Ship to shore etc) As I said earlier I would strongly recommend that you do not use walkie talkies unless it can be confirmed they are not marine band, that the harmonic frequencies do not in any way cause problems onboard or and that you do not need certificates to be able to operate them.

If by any chance they require you require a radio certificate to operate them, no matter which type, you can and may be done by either the marine organisation of the country you are visiting or by the US Government when you get back home. The frequencies used for radio communications differ from one country to another, what might be ok in the States may not in one of the places you are visiting. It is illegal to operate a radio without the correct certificates and can mean imprisonment as Im sure any of the other people in the field will confirm

I would like you to enjoy your holiday and not end up having to spend it either in jail/gaol or having to fork out a hugh amount of money for a fine.

Try the old system, say to meet up somewhere at a specific time, we managed before and it worked fine then.....

ummm....wow. The radios were ineffective.We were indecisive to purchase the radioes, and the store suggested that if they did not work for what we needed them that we could return them, which is what we did. They were not marine band radios. My husband and I have worked on boats and own a boat and are pretty confident with our radio knowledge and what we need to have to operate said radios.

I am confident in my 13 yr old's abilities to report to me on time. However, as he was approached in the men's room by a man holding his umm...organ out and asked a barrage of questions like what is your name, where do you live, do both of your parents live with you. Keep in mind that I am always by the door to the mens restroom waiting for my son to exit....so he saw me there. The world is full of predators and I will make every effort to protect my son and try to balance freedom that kids need to become adults. The old tried and true method will get you no where if your kid needs to reach you if he/she is in trouble. You would then be lucky to find your kid alive, much less untouched after the appropriate amount has passed.

I have posted this not to be lectured about walkie talkies which many have said what you have posted is bunk, but merely to find a better way of communication that will make my kid safer as he ventures into the kid clubs.

How in the world did we all survive and grow up without all this technology?

Rather than depend on a WT that may or not work, and you may not be listening at the time, I suggest there should be a discussion of how to react in such a case. Such as seek out a ship's phone, is 911 the code to dial on the ship, yell, approach any crew member or fellow passenger, etc.

Seems there are two issues here, communication and security. A ship is no different than a shopping mall.

How in the world did we all survive and grow up without all this technology?

That question has been asked many times regarding seat belts....many more died. Putting whiskey in a bottle to make a baby sleep....increased SIDS. Ear aches that parents would blow ciggie smoke in to relieve pain, but the smoke was the reason the pain was there in the first place. We use new tools to help us advance

Rather than depend on a WT that may or not work, and you may not be listening at the time, I suggest there should be a discussion of how to react in such a case. Such as seek out a ship's phone, is 911 the code to dial on the ship, yell, approach any crew member or fellow passenger, etc.

I think that many parents do have these discussion with their kids, and there is a plan of action discussed. For the record we do have a plan of action. My kid has also been in martial arts since he was 6 taught by police, and as he is a big kid 5'8", with a muscular build at just turning 13 we feel that he could minimize a situation and get away. Getting away being the best possible scenario.

Seems there are two issues here, communication and security. A ship is no different than a shopping mall.

I see a ship as very different than a shopping mall. The non us soil for starters. Different countries have different ways of policing, & processing evidence. Where one can run and get away on land, your options of doing so are more limited on a ship. That being said...do i think it will happen...probably not. To be less prepared because something will probably not happen however is foolish.

Yes youer 1/2 watt will....Remember at sea, radio communications is mostly line of sight, following the earths curviture. Normal VHF Marine band radio is 25 watts, this gives a range of appx 30 miles without any restrictions (No hills etc) our reduced power output is 1 watt which gives us about 12nm (Nautical miles range)

The fact that the ship in itself can act as an aerial makes this liable to re-transmit the signal. At sea, due to atmospherics etc, day time and night time changes your 1/2 watt will/can cause problems.

So I hope that answers your question regarding interferring with safe navigation etc.

My background is a Radio Operator for the Royal Navy, my current is Search and rescue, therefore I do have the knowledge to be fully aware of radio aspects etc

FRMS and GRMS radios will not interefer with Marine Band radios. If radios on 446~ were always interfering with 156~ radios they would never have been allowed to be produced and used in the USA, not to mention RCCL would never allow them aboard.

Since you are in the Royal Navy, I presume you know well that there are procedures for avoiding collision without ever needing to communicate with other boats.

I agree totally that pax should not be transmitting on handheld or mobile marine radios while on the ship, without explicit permission from the Captaion and Watch Officer, which I suspect might be denied anyhow.

GRMS and FRMS, although not bothering ship operations, really those are to me personally very annoying because most folks with them have minimal to no radio operator training and many have no respect for those around them, yelling into the radio and blasting the speker loud enough for those within 50' of them to hear it.

Rancher Dave for your post. I bit my tongue after our friends 1st reply as I didn't want to get into a pi$$ing contest.

biomedbob :o

I just wonder if those with 1x3 calls would be accused of disrupting the marine band as well. I know of a group planning 2M Sat ops on one of the ships, with full permission of the Captain in a week here very soon, perhaps even this week.

I felt I had to speak out since his comments were so far off. I am not posting my call since it woudl be too easy to look up my home address etc...out of the database, although I am excited about the fact as of Friday the 13th, it changed to my 1st choice Vanity Call.

Oh well, time to go give a bike to a child who otherwise would not get a birthday gift and later tonight hop on an ARES net as one of the liasions between the region I live in and a neighboring geo area.

73s.

Since you are in the Ex Royal Navy, I presume you know well that there are procedures for avoiding collision without ever needing to communicate with other boats.

If you read the previous post you would also see that I have indicated that these people do not know whether they are marine band, a walkie talkie can be used for 'hand held radios' its a general term.!. I have never said that any type of other radio would interfer with then.

As regards to safe navigation, with GMDSS now there is an allocated channel designated for ship to ship navigation. No longer is there a Radio operator on board vessels, since the VHFDSC/MFDSC etc have taken away the need for the vessels to carry the old sparkie.

Signalling by use of fog horns etc are all well know however even in todays techonologically advance maritime world there are still numerous collisons between vessels. There are lots of reasons for these to occur.

For an person to purchase a basic radio, they do not have the knowledge to ask such questions as marine band or not, its a known fact. To use a hand held radio on the shore does not require certification, however at sea they do. My experience through both my military background and especially my present occupation show this is true. I have to have the knowledge of GMDSS, Search and Rescue, Navigation, Colregs, (Collision regulations) and all things maritime to be able to help people. As I have said and will once again reiterate - Dont purchase a walkie talkie unless you are sure that they are not marine band.

Your brought in your radio ham side, I didnt, not once in my postings have I indicated that. You might have your 'handle' but mine is stating not to buy these unless you are sure that they are not marine band. Pure and simple.

• 1 month later...

It is amazing that the Cruise Lines still have not figured out that the UHF [yes, not VHF] radios that they use on-board are in the same band as those little FRS/GMRS radios they rent all the time.

FRMS and GRMS radios will not interefer with Marine Band radios. If radios on 446~ were always interfering with 156~ radios they would never have been allowed to be produced and used in the USA, not to mention RCCL would never allow them aboard.

I agree totally that pax should not be transmitting on handheld or mobile marine radios while on the ship, without explicit permission from the Captaion and Watch Officer, which I suspect might be denied anyhow.

GRMS and FRMS, although not bothering ship operations, really those are to me personally very annoying because most folks with them have minimal to no radio operator training and many have no respect for those around them, yelling into the radio and blasting the speker loud enough for those within 50' of them to hear it.

Archived