?? about walkie talkies or??? to keep in touch

motherchic

We just bought a set for our upcoming cruises. But, we bought them because our kids are 8 and 11 and will have their own cabin next door. We decided these were more practical than a baby monitor. I am a bit uneasy having the kids in their own cabin, but I also think it will be nice not to be squished. We weren't able to get connecting cabins so this will be the quick way to hear if the kids need us etc. Much simpler than using the cabin phone. We really don't expect them to work between decks and all that. But they could also be nice on shore excursions. I like to bask on the beach and dh likes to wander.

I would strongly suggest that you do not use Walkie Talkies onboard unless you can confirm that they are not marine band frequencies.

To operate a marine band radio requires a Radio Certificate which means that you are able to operate them correctly. It also means that when using these walkie talkies, if on the marine band frequencies you may interfer with the safe navigation or safety of any vessel on that frequency.

Im sure that you would not like to be held accountable for $m's for causing a ship to have an accident.

As regards to safe navigation would be such things as two vessels discussing their intentions, which if jammed by a walkie talkie could cause a loss of life.

Safety onboard, could be the crew attempting to rectify some problem onboard, even such as fire fighting.

Therefore I would look towards other options as suggested to maintaining contact with partners/offspring

Here is a link as proof to the basic requirements

http://www.yachtcom.co.uk/comms/index.html

Get into a habit of leaving voicemail on the room phone.

How does this voicemail work?

Do you have to go to your cabin to pick up voicemail messages or can

- my kids phone my cabin to leave a message for me

- I phone my cabin to pick up messages (by remote)

- I phone their cabin to leave a response for them?

(Should at least kill a few hours between meals);)

I would strongly suggest that you do not use Walkie Talkies onboard unless you can confirm that they are not marine band frequencies.

To operate a marine band radio requires a Radio Certificate which means that you are able to operate them correctly. It also means that when using these walkie talkies, if on the marine band frequencies you may interfer with the safe navigation or safety of any vessel on that frequency.

Im sure that you would not like to be held accountable for $m's for causing a ship to have an accident.

As regards to safe navigation would be such things as two vessels discussing their intentions, which if jammed by a walkie talkie could cause a loss of life.

Safety onboard, could be the crew attempting to rectify some problem onboard, even such as fire fighting.

Therefore I would look towards other options as suggested to maintaining contact with partners/offspring

OH come on! Now my 1/2 watt walkie talkie is going to cause an accident. It barely has sufficient power to reach another deck let alone interfere with ships communications. :D LOL. :D

On the Majesty last November, we got a phone from Adventure Ocean (youngest grandchild was only 4) - but they only gave us one phone and they told us that we were only supposed to use it to call the Adventure club or vice versa. With one phone - who would you call? I don't see how one phone can help keep the family in touch. :confused:

I think there have been some great ideas posted (I really like the voice mail idea - and I'll also consider the post-it notes) but I also know that you can spend quite a bit of time wandering around looking for the rest of your party or lots of time waiting in designated areas especially if you have someone who considers being on time optional. :D

On the trip where I used the cell phone - I'd probably do it again ($50 in calls). Mostly because - we did not plan every minute. So any pre-planned - let's meet by the big __ on deck __ at __ o'clock would never have worked. One of the days - my son slept until 2 p.m. after an especially fun evening :p. By the time he got up and got in line to catch a tender - we had already returned to the ship :rolleyes:.

My kids were 4, 8, and 11. I think they were giving them out to the younger group (3-6 yo I think), and then letting older kids families' have the leftovers the next day.

The Marine Band frequencies are nowhere near, or could any interference be received by there low powered walkie-talkies.

I've owned and operated Public Coastal Stations (Marine Operator Ship-to-Shore) since the 1970's.

KF4BR

Seemed a little far fetched to me, thanks to the experts for clearing that up!!

We used them on our past cruises (RCL & CCL) and will use them again on our up coming Princess cruise. We never had any problems communicating with them and don't think we used them to the extent of annoying the people around us, just to track each other down if neccessary. Some people will be annoying wether they have a walkie talkie or not, and some people are easily annoyed :rolleyes:

My kids were 4, 8, and 11. I think they were giving them out to the younger group (3-6 yo I think), and then letting older kids families' have the leftovers the next day.

Now here's a question that I've always wondered. Supposed you had a couple with young children (say 3-6 yo), and on a port day they wanted to do a zipline excursion. What would that couple do with their children? Leave them at AO?

And should something happen that requires parental attention, what happens? Is it possible for the ship to get in touch with the parents?

I'd presume there would be other logistical challenges should the parents need to get back to the ship and were away on excursion. For instance, what happens if those parents are out at Stingray City? The excursion boat isn't likely to leave everyone else behind just to get that couple back to the pier, and I'd hate to have my excursion cut short because someone had to go back. Sure, I'd pray the children were ok when the parents got back, but still...

How does this voicemail work?

Do you have to go to your cabin to pick up voicemail messages or can

- my kids phone my cabin to leave a message for me

- I phone my cabin to pick up messages (by remote)

- I phone their cabin to leave a response for them?

(Should at least kill a few hours between meals);)

Only used voicemail to leave a message on either room phone.

Now if you could set up a password and call from any ship phone to check your voicemail that would be great. Its only software. A big plus for all passengers with little lost revenue (limited supply of DECT phones at $25 a pop).

FRS radios operate in the 462-477 MHz range. Marine band radios operate between 156 and ~162 MHz. Handheld walkie talkies such as those available withing Canada and the USA operate well outside the Marine Band Radios. In Europe, PMR446 operates at 446 MHz, is not interoperable with FRS, and, once more, does not operate within Marine Band standards.

That said, as many users have reported, the range of the FRS radios on ship can be severely limited by the extensive metal un the hull. This is because the ship itself acts as a Faraday Cage.

FRS radios operate in the 462-477 MHz range. Marine band radios operate between 156 and ~162 MHz. Handheld walkie talkies such as those available withing Canada and the USA operate well outside the Marine Band Radios. In Europe, PMR446 operates at 446 MHz, is not interoperable with FRS, and, once more, does not operate within Marine Band standards.

That said, as many users have reported, the range of the FRS radios on ship can be severely limited by the extensive metal un the hull. This is because the ship itself acts as a Faraday Cage.

I often wonder how many repeaters they use to get reliable communications for their hand held radios?

i am curious about the walkies with texting. I am assuming that if the signal cannot make it from one end of the ship to the other, much less cabins that the texting would be the same. If any one knows, please post!:D

I wonder how much cell phone texting would be. What i really need is something like a pager with texting that would work on the ships. Does anyone have any ideas?

i am curious about the walkies with texting. I am assuming that if the signal cannot make it from one end of the ship to the other, much less cabins that the texting would be the same. If any one knows, please post!:D

I wonder how much cell phone texting would be. What i really need is something like a pager with texting that would work on the ships. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have not had the opportunity to try the texting onboard, but will on the Mariner 5/31. I have read a few reviews and these were rated as much better than the most popular brand in the voice mode. They are touted as 25 mile range but our question is will they work on a ship. Privacy is almost guaranteed by the 10 billion combinations of channels. That is with a B. I wont even use the voice function because of how annoyed I am when hearing others. From all the research, I do think I will be able to text my daughter almost anywhere on the ship from the balcony. I paid 80 bucks for the pair. Do a search for TSX 300 and see for yourself.

Now here's a question that I've always wondered. Supposed you had a couple with young children (say 3-6 yo), and on a port day they wanted to do a zipline excursion. What would that couple do with their children? Leave them at AO?

And should something happen that requires parental attention, what happens? Is it possible for the ship to get in touch with the parents?

I'd presume there would be other logistical challenges should the parents need to get back to the ship and were away on excursion. For instance, what happens if those parents are out at Stingray City? The excursion boat isn't likely to leave everyone else behind just to get that couple back to the pier, and I'd hate to have my excursion cut short because someone had to go back. Sure, I'd pray the children were ok when the parents got back, but still...

Do you mean that parents would actually leave their kids behind on the ship and go ashore? I thought the idea was a family vacation. What would stop the older kids from just getting off the ship while the parents are away on their excursion? Who's fault would that be?

OH come on! Now my 1/2 watt walkie talkie is going to cause an accident. It barely has sufficient power to reach another deck let alone interfere with ships communications. :D LOL. :D

Yes youer 1/2 watt will....Remember at sea, radio communications is mostly line of sight, following the earths curviture. Normal VHF Marine band radio is 25 watts, this gives a range of appx 30 miles without any restrictions (No hills etc) our reduced power output is 1 watt which gives us about 12nm (Nautical miles range)

The fact that the ship in itself can act as an aerial makes this liable to re-transmit the signal. At sea, due to atmospherics etc, day time and night time changes your 1/2 watt will/can cause problems.

So I hope that answers your question regarding interferring with safe navigation etc.

My background is a Radio Operator for the Royal Navy, my current is Search and rescue, therefore I do have the knowledge to be fully aware of radio aspects etc

The Marine Band frequencies are nowhere near, or could any interference be received by their low powered walkie-talkies.

I've owned and operated Public Coastal Stations (Marine Operator Ship-to-Shore) since the 1970's.

KF4BR

That all depends on whether these walkie talkies are or are not marine band.

The portable hand held radio used by yachts and other vessels are marine bandf. The fall in 156 mhz band, ie. channel 16 is 156.8 mhz, channel 67 is 156.375 channel 73 is 156.675......

These radios, are called walkie talkies, they are marine band, so to make a statement such as yours is very bold.

Are you able to confirm that all portable radios/walkie talkies purchased by the public of the same frequency and not marine band frequency.....I wouldnt

Would our cell phones texting work well on ships? From AT&T's website I see that it costs $0.50 to send text messages on cruises and receiving text messages is free with my plan. Are the signals good enough at most places on the ship. I will be traveling on the Norwegian Gem.

I have not had the opportunity to try the texting onboard, but will on the Mariner 5/31. I have read a few reviews and these were rated as much better than the most popular brand in the voice mode. They are touted as 25 mile range but our question is will they work on a ship. Privacy is almost guaranteed by the 10 billion combinations of channels. That is with a B. I wont even use the voice function because of how annoyed I am when hearing others. From all the research, I do think I will be able to text my daughter almost anywhere on the ship from the balcony. I paid 80 bucks for the pair. Do a search for TSX 300 and see for yourself.

We bought a set of walkies last march that were at least 30 miles but I want to say 45 miles. We paid $140.00 for the set. We thought after the cruise we could possibly use them on our boat as the radio was on it's last legs. We were on deck 2 on the navigator, and if you were more than a couple flights up you could not get through on the walkies, much less if someone was in the game room. For us it was very disappointing and we are looking for something that is a bit more reliable. The dect phones sound great if we can get them, but i feel I need a back up plan if those are unavailable. Texting would be a wonderful tool.

We had walkie talkies when we had our two little ones along with Grandma and Grandpa. Sometimes the grandparents would take the kids and would want to keep in touch with us or vice versa. I would say the walkie talkies were 70% effective in reaching each other. Other times there would be interference or they wouldn't hear the "bleep bleep" of us trying to get them to answer because it was too noisy wherever they were.

I think this time around we're going to leave the walkie talkies behind and just arrange meeting times with each other.

Would our cell phones texting work well on ships? From AT&T's website I see that it costs $0.50 to send text messages on cruises and receiving text messages is free with my plan. Are the signals good enough at most places on the ship. I will be traveling on the Norwegian Gem.

From my experience my phone would connect to "Cellular at Sea" and I'd get roaming charges. Not sure how texting would work, but you should probably check with your carrier to see if texting while at sea is included in your plan or if it's considered roaming.

We bought a set of walkies last march that were at least 30 miles but I want to say 45 miles. We paid $140.00 for the set. We thought after the cruise we could possibly use them on our boat as the radio was on it's last legs.

The fact that the term 'Walkie talkie' is a general term could in effect mean that it might or might not be marine band, the 30 mile range however would to me indicate that there is a higher than normal likelihood that they are marine band. So chances are that you would at least cause some interference in Maritime communications (Ship to ship, Ship to shore etc) As I said earlier I would strongly recommend that you do not use walkie talkies unless it can be confirmed they are not marine band, that the harmonic frequencies do not in any way cause problems onboard or and that you do not need certificates to be able to operate them.

If by any chance they require you require a radio certificate to operate them, no matter which type, you can and may be done by either the marine organisation of the country you are visiting or by the US Government when you get back home. The frequencies used for radio communications differ from one country to another, what might be ok in the States may not in one of the places you are visiting. It is illegal to operate a radio without the correct certificates and can mean imprisonment as Im sure any of the other people in the field will confirm

I would like you to enjoy your holiday and not end up having to spend it either in jail/gaol or having to fork out a hugh amount of money for a fine.

Try the old system, say to meet up somewhere at a specific time, we managed before and it worked fine then.....

Scotsnomad, you are beating a dead horse. People will run the radios when and where they want, even in a foreign country. Actually, we probably ought to be concerned about the level of radio and radar emissions being generated by the ship's equipment. A number of antennas are mounted right where people walk around on the deck. Wonder what power levels they are generating?

In 25 cruises, I've never lost my DW on the ship. We just tell each other where we will be.

Do people really think they are going to get their kiddos to carry WT's around? How un-cool in front of the other kids.:rolleyes:

Archived