4 Days in Paris - what to see/do

Hello travel gurus!

We're flying into Paris on a Monday, getting in around 10:30 at CDG.

We've booked a cheap-o hotel (Ibis) and will crash there for 3 nights.

We are a family of 4 + my MIL. (kids are 5 & 7)

If you had 4 days in Paris - what would YOU do???

ALSO -

on the day we fly out, our flight doesn't leave until 9pm. Anywhere that you can recommend that we can store our luggage after checking out of the hotel? Do the train stations have lockers that are safe?

Thanks!

First time in Paris? If so, all the things that the books suggest, subject to the tolerance of the young children for cultural things:-
  • Eiffel Tower
  • A river cruise
  • Arc de Triomphe
  • Walk along the Champs Elysees
  • The Louvre Museum
  • Walk through the Tuileries
  • The Orangerie
  • The Musee d'Orsay
  • Montmartre/Sacre Coeur
  • Notre Dame
  • Walk through the Quartier Latin
  • Rodin museum
  • Window shop along the Faubourg St Honore
  • And go to some stonkingly expensive restaurants

Hi

I first went to Paris as a 12 year old. The things that I remember enjoying were the Effel Tour, River boat cruise and the Rodin Museum.

On Sunday mornings there is a great market in Rue Richard Lenior in the Bastille area. After visiting the market you can wander through the Marais. This is my favourite neighbourhood and one of the only ones where the shops open on a Sunday afternoon. Lots of nice places for Sunday lunch too.

I stay at Ibis hotels frequently and they normally have lockers you can hire for your luggage.

I am going to Paris in June with my children I haven´t been yet , but I have purchased a book on Paris with kids , as well as 3 other guides on Paris , and I have been reading the Frommers and Fodors travel boards on paris.

Yes , I am a little obsessive!Ha!

Planning is half the fun.

My plans include :

A boat ride on the Seine

A visit to Luxembourg park to rent remote control boats to sail on the little lake

Hot chocolate and a yummy dessert at Angelina´s

climb up to the gargoyles at Notre Dame

musee dórsay for lunch at the cool cafe , then check out the Van goghs and Monets we have been talking about

Amusement park at Jardin des Tuileries

Eiffel Tower

Louvre to see Egyptian exhibit and maybe Mona Lisa ( because the kids really want to see it)

rodin garden for a picnic if permitted and on Wednesday afternoon there is a kids´tour in the museum and a the end the kids get to make a sculpture!

So far , this is my plan...I want to stroll and sit at cafes and people watch too.

When are you going?

And to hijack your thread , what are your top picks for 2 days in /Copenhagen with kids ages 5 , 9 and 12?

Have fun,

Kim

I am a big fan of the hop-on-hop-off bus. We always sit upstairs. If it is full we just wait until some people get off and then go up there. It is a great way to view any city. You get a nice overview and then can return to the areas that you want to explore more.

We went to the Park at the end of the Champs Elysee and my son went on some amusement park type rides there. We walked quite a bit as well and felt very safe both day and night.

One of the great things to do is go to the Eiffel Tower at night. The lines are shorter (still long though) and we stood in the line for the stairs and walked to the first platform. I am glad we didn't do the elevator because they pack people in there like sardines. It is a good workout walking up- so be prepared for that but it was well worth it and the view of Paris at night is lovely.

We didn't care for most of the cafe's. The food was subpar. We discovered an Indian restaurant on a side street (thanks to the hotel Conceirge) and it was great. They are very nice to children in Indian restaurants and we have always had great meals there. What I am saying is stay away from touristy restaurants.

The bakeries on the other hand offer nice things and we enjoyed the french pasteries. We also found a grocery store and bought pears, which I carried around in my purse in case he got hungry. They were cheap and a good snack.

Paris is a wonderful city just to meander through. We went to a movie on the Champs Elysee, which was in English (Hancock) with french subtitles. That's how most of them are.

I am going to Paris in June with my children I haven´t been yet , but I have purchased a book on Paris with kids , as well as 3 other guides on Paris , and I have been reading the Frommers and Fodors travel boards on paris.

Yes , I am a little obsessive!Ha!

Planning is half the fun.

My plans include :

A boat ride on the Seine

A visit to Luxembourg park to rent remote control boats to sail on the little lake

Hot chocolate and a yummy dessert at Angelina´s

climb up to the gargoyles at Notre Dame

musee dórsay for lunch at the cool cafe , then check out the Van goghs and Monets we have been talking about

Amusement park at Jardin des Tuileries

Eiffel Tower

Louvre to see Egyptian exhibit and maybe Mona Lisa ( because the kids really want to see it)

rodin garden for a picnic if permitted and on Wednesday afternoon there is a kids´tour in the museum and a the end the kids get to make a sculpture!

So far , this is my plan...I want to stroll and sit at cafes and people watch too.

When are you going?

And to hijack your thread , what are your top picks for 2 days in /Copenhagen with kids ages 5 , 9 and 12?

Have fun,

Kim

Hi! Thanks for that! We're going to have to "steal" some of it!

We'll be there in July - so I need to get a "game plan" together quickly!

LOL

For copenhagen (there is a whole thread over on here that I started with an obsessive amount of info...)

The top 3 would be:

Tivoli

Frederiksborg Castle (a bit farther out, but worth it - also stop at the nearby Norwegian Sweater Shop... though, if you're in Brazil, not sure you need sweaters! LOL)

If they're into art - then the Louisiana museum (modern art) has a spectacular display and also a wonderful "hands on" area for kids to do all kinds of neat projects

Hello travel gurus!

We're flying into Paris on a Monday, getting in around 10:30 at CDG.

We've booked a cheap-o hotel (Ibis) and will crash there for 3 nights.

We are a family of 4 + my MIL. (kids are 5 & 7)

ALSO -

on the day we fly out, our flight doesn't leave until 9pm. Anywhere that you can recommend that we can store our luggage after checking out of the hotel? Do the train stations have lockers that are safe?

Thanks!

I have uploaded 6 travel videos of sightseeing in Paris to My Youtube Travel Channel.

Click on the link below for information about this site:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

This is a most interesting and wonderful city.

Cruzer Two

Archived