Travel Guides - what is your favorite?

If you really want to know an area solidly, the Blue Guides are great. They are long and very detailed - perhaps overkill for a quick day in port, but essential for really understanding context and history, and pointing out less well-known sights. They also have excellent maps.

I love Rick Steves' books for budget travel info and Eyewitness guides for the beautiful photographs and maps.

Eyewitness would be my top choice for the best combination of info and visuals. Michelin Green for more depth in some areas. Others books are trying to become more visual as Eyewitness has pioneered. No one book is perfect for everything! Rick Steves covers some areas and key highlights, but his books are not as comprehensive within most countries.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I agree that Rick Steves' books don't cover everything - just the best things. That's usually good enough for me.

Agree, Nancy! I like to check out most of the major guides from the library. Then, I can see where they agree, pick the same "best places", etc. Frommers and Fodors are both trying to add more visuals. Sometimes, the Rick Steves picks get "too popular" from so many people following his good suggestions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I have used and enjoyed all the books mentioned by other posters, but I have recently discovered a series called AAA Spiral Guides. I like them a lot... beautiful photographs as well as good information. Not so much on hotels and restaurants, but more about attractions and sites, which is great for planning shore excursions!

Kim

Archived