Anyone else a Kindle reader?

patrice1

My wife and I each have Kindles, and so far, my only complaint is that you can't easily 'share' books you've purchased. I know that you can link multiple Kindles to one Amazon account, but then you lose the personalized experience you get on Amazon. I prefer to keep my Amazon account separate from my wife's just so we can get our own recommendations, shopping histories, etc, - so if we combine into one account just to share books, we lose this capability. I wish Amazon would find a way to allow 2 or 3 people to share books on their accounts, just like we would if we bought a hard copy. I wouldn't think it would be that tough, with the same home address and all. . .but maybe I'm missing something.

Other than that, we LOVE our Kindles!!

Kindle: Have you been asked to turn it off on the plane when taking off & landing?? Why does it need to be turned off if the Wifi is off & you are simply reading?? This happened on my last flight.

Almost without fail, in business or first class, you can leave it on and read. Have yet to be asked to turn it off. In coach, I'm asked to put it away almost every time. Leads me to believe that there's no problem with a Kindle with WiFi off. . .but try and tell that to the flight attendants in economy!

:confused:

• 1 month later...

I've got the Kindle2 and it rocks definitely. You CAN buy and sideload books from your amazon account when you are traveling internationally if the associated computer is your notebook and you have it and your Kindle's USB cable with you. Here's how:

First, order a Kindle book on the Amazon Web site from your computer and tell it to send it wirelessly to your Kindle. This will fail. But you can then go to the "Manage Your Kindle" page on the Amazon site, which lists all the Kindle books you've bought under the heading "Your Orders." Select the one you want, and click on the drop-down list at the far right labeled "Download/Send to...". Select "computer" as your destination, and the book will be downloaded to your PC or Mac as a file with the suffix "azw." From there, you can manually drag this file into your Kindle using the USB cable.

• 1 year later...

I love my Kindle! I was afraid I would miss the feel and smell of a new book, but not at all. It is so light and yes, you can adjust the font many ways. I love it especially because when I travel I usually go overseas and bring several books, which takes up a lot of room an especially weight. I now have 6 books downloaded for my upcoming trip and it weighs just a few ounces. Great size too, fits perfectly in my purse. And it performs well in the sunlight, no glare at all. I can highly recommend it, it's worth the investment. Plus there are tons of free books to download. You can get free samples of everything and downloading a book (or a sample) take just a few seconds.

KINDLE ROCKS!!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Kindle! Got one after Christmas 2010. The following summer, the screen was broken, probably sat on or something. Called customer service and had a free replacement sent out that same day and sent my broken one back. NO charges at all.

I probably have close to 200 books on mine. Alot of them are freebies. I also check the blog, booksontheknob.org, almost daily to see if anything interests me. I like having lots of these free books to try out the author. If I start reading it and I don't like it, I can just delete it and I haven't thrown money away. If I like it, I check and see if there are others by the author and purchase them. Then I haven't wasted money on books I don't like.

I also take mine everywhere. Since it is so light and easy to carry, I keep it with me for when I am waiting in a dr. office or similar situations. It is just a great thing to own. I love that I don't have to pack books in my suitcase any more. Leaves more room, and I never run out of books to read on vacation.

I am so glad I spent the money on this! I don't regret it one bit.

Oh, also, another thing I really like about it, is you can read it outside just fine. Absolutely no glare or anything. Just like reading a book!

It's been so much fun reading through this thread. My first Kindle was a Kindle 2 and I LOVED it. I was a hard sell, but once I started reading on it, all my doubts vanished. IMO, one of the five top inventions of the 21st Century.

I upgraded to a Kindle Touch and it's even better than my first Kindle. I gave my old one to my mom and she' loves it too. What I've really enjoyed is reading all the limitations that were present in the first Kindle and realized how they've improved and how far they've come AND how the price has come down to being affordable for so many more people.

In addition to the Books on the Knob blog, I also get a ton of free books from http://www.ereaderiq.com/ which has even more freebies listed. I probably have a couple of hundred books on my Kindle and it will definitely be going on my cruise in November. My last cruise, pre-Kindle, was a 12-day and I read all 7 books I brought along. Thank goodness for HAL's paperback swap shelf in the library!

Hi everyone!

I've had my Kindle for a year now and it is by far the best thing I've ever bought. I've been known to read a book a day or eight on a week's holiday so bless the people who invented e-readers :D

I have no plans upgrading mine since it serves it's purpose (reading books) perfectly. It's nice to hear there are plenty of other Kindle lovers!

I upgraded to a Kindle Touch and it's even better than my first Kindle. I gave my old one to my mom and she' loves it too. What I've really enjoyed is reading all the limitations that were present in the first Kindle and realized how they've improved and how far they've come AND how the price has come down to being affordable for so many more people.

In addition to the Books on the Knob blog, I also get a ton of free books from http://www.ereaderiq.com/ which has even more freebies listed. I probably have a couple of hundred books on my Kindle and it will definitely be going on my cruise in November. My last cruise, pre-Kindle, was a 12-day and I read all 7 books I brought along. Thank goodness for HAL's paperback swap shelf in the library!

Amy, can you tell me what the difference is between the Kindle Touch and the Kindle 2. I have the Kindle 2. I have been wondering about upgrading. Also, do you have the 3G or the WiFi? I just have the WiFi, but was wondering about upgrading to the 3G so I can get the internet, limited, when I am away from home. I am wondering if I could get the blogs and my email with it.

The Touch, as the name implies, is a touch-screen reader. I love it, not everyone does. It's smaller and lighter than the K2 and holds more books. The e-ink technology has improved and is even clearer. I got the WiFi and 3g as I like to be able to download a book wherever I happen to be.

The web browser is still under the "experiemental" category. I did manage to send an email or two from the ship when we were near shore in Britain (off the Isle of Skye, as I recall :)) and picked up the signal from shore, bypassing the ship's wireless. However, it was cumbersome to use. I haven't tried it yet, but just turned it on and it's very slow. It needs a WiFi connection to use the Web Browser.

I bought the Kindle With Special Offers version, so saved, I think, $40. I get some pretty good offers (Like $3 off any MP3, today). I get the ads instead of the usual pictures of dead authors. The nice think is that if I ever want to, I can pay the $40 and go back to the regular screen savers. Other than that, it does not interfere at all.

An other questions, please ask away.

Archived