Anyone else a Kindle reader?

patrice1

I ordered a Kindle from Amazon after the holidays and it was a 5-6 week wait. I got an e-mail from them this week stating that they have introduced Kindle2 and that I would be in the first group receiving one to be shipped 2/28. I normally read 3-4 books on a cruise, so I ordered it for my cruise in May. It'll save me a bunch of room packing! Can't wait to start downloading books. Any suggestions? And how do you like your Kindle?

Wow you are so lucky to be getting the Kindle 2.0. My DH and I have been debating about getting one but the problem is one wont be enough! We would fight over it...imagine what this can do for school students! All of their books in one device!

My only advice is to download all the books before setting sail as I doubt you will have access to download from the Kindle store in the middle of the ocean.

Do let us know how you like it!!!

I would love to have a Kindle, but I have a hard time justifying the price for myself. I get almost all of my books from my local public library, and they do a nice job of getting in the new books that I want to read.

Enjoy your Kindle! What is different about the Kindle2?

I have a Kindle 1..... I LOVE it :) I bought it last year just before our cruise in July. It is FABULOUS...

(I have now orderd Kindle 2...):o

I don't know if you can order books ahead of time, but you get them IMMEDIATELY upon ordering. They download instantly into your Kindle when you order. You can order on the internet at Amazon, or from your Kindle.

You are going to LOVE it!!!

Guest Crazeecat5

Hi all,

I have a question about the Kindle.....is the print any smaller than a regular book? Can you adjust the size of the font if you want the words bigger?

Thanks.

I have a Kindle. I love it!!! I got it in October when Oprah was talking about it on her show and if you ordered it from Amazon within that week it was $50.00 off. I am very impressed with their customer service also because the top 1/4 of the screen on mine went blank ( I think I sat on it!) when I called customer service to see what to do-they said "No problem, we'll send you a new one that should be there in a day or two and just send the other back in the same box." I did get the new one and sent in the old one. No charge! And yes, you can change the font size (about 5-6 different sizes).

I had been debating ordering a Kindle, so for Valentines my husband ordered me the Kindle 2, of course right now all I have is the receipt that he presented me with along with a rose. I'm glad to hear good reviews. I love to read and have been having trouble with my eyes according to the site you can change the font's and that should help me. Is the kindle easy to read in the bright sun?

Yes, it is easy to read in the sun-no glare. They advertise is as looking like a book. I really love mine and I felt guilty about it (due to the price) for awhile but I got over it! Also, anytime you order books for it, they are your books. If you lose your Kindle or get a new one, you can just transfer your books to your new Kindle.

I don't have a Kindle. But, I do have a Sony E-Book. Same type of thing. I love it! Have books already downloaded waiting for me to read on the flight to the port and on the cruise too. Very cool little electronic devices. :)

It's funny - I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the tech age, but now I see the advantages. I will no longer have to carry around piles of books. I will no longer have to put myself on a wait list at the library or the bookstore. I love that I can choose between books without more than a flick of a page. Change type - got it. Read-to-me while making dinner instead of putting book down - got it. New York Times delivered daily - even in Key West - got it. I LOVE this stuff!!!:eek::D

I had been looking at the Kindle, and saw a reviewer posted to wait for the next version. When they sold out and had a waitlist, I sort of figured a new version was on the way. Unfortunately, I can't get one in time for my next cruise (but I hear HAL has great libraries). I want one because I have vision problems and need the larger type. Just to be able to take one fat book along in that format would be wonderful! I just finished David McCullough's big book on the Panama Canal, in preparation for my upcoming cruise...that was hard cover, 600+ pages! Too heavy to carry along, even if there was room left in the suitcasr! EM

I don't travel anywhere without my Kindle. It's great while waiting for appointments as well as on vacations. I'm getting those "old" eyes and at night it wonderful being able to increase the font size to read in lower lighting.

The Kindle 1, you have the option of down loading "books on tape" and I have done that with a few books. So while driving (or at work with headphones) I can listen to a book. The sound quality was fine, so I'm assuming it's going to be good on Kindle 2.

I too had a struggle with myself justifying the price when I bought it. But I figure it has more than paid for itself. I know buy new release, hardpack books for 10+ instead of 25+. Paper backs at 5+ instead of 7+.

As a Kindle owner I received the offer to early pre-order the Kindle 2. I couldn't resist. So I will have it in time for my upcoming March cruise. I noticed that when I'm looking for new books, I have the option to send the new book to the Kindle 2 or the Kindle 1.

I was packing up to 4 books for my cruises, now I only back the Kindle.

I hope everyone enjoys their upcoming cruises!

Kindle 2 does have audio. I read yesterday that Books on Tape are trying to sue them for infringement due to the audio.

I don't why they would be suing since Amazon bought audiobook provider Audible. That is how they are providing the audio for the Kindle II.

I ordered the Kindle a few weeks ago for my DW who is a flight attendant and is an avid reader. Also got the e-mail that my order was automatically upgraded to the Kindle II. I am hoping that it comes before our next cruise. If it does not it will lighten her flight bag not having to carry books with her.

Reading the article I didn't see anywhere they will sue. It's a request to disable a feature that Amazon states they have a license for. I read their concern but they are worried about how the Kindle will affect the audio book sales. I think it's much ado over nothing kind of similar when cassette tapes came out and the record industry went into a tizzy worrying it would kill album sales. In fact sales went up only they were in the new format.

While you are waiting for your Kindle, or still trying to figure out all the neat features, check out this link for a book on how to get the best of your Kindle. You can get it as a hard copy so you can read it before you get the Kindle, or you can download it to your Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-countless-downloaded-paperback-prospective/dp/B0011XW1E8/ref=pd_sim_kinc_1

• 3 weeks later...

If you are an avid reader who reads an average of more than 30 books a year...the Kindle will pay for itself in that time! Think about it - the majority of the book downloads are $9.99 while the average cost of a new hardcover is $20...I am still debating.

I am also wondering how the other electronic readers compare? I think I saw a Sony one as BJ's wholesale for $279...

I want one of these so bad!! I am an avid reader. On a weekend I can go through 3-5 books. I own hundreds of books and have, literally, run out of space to put them. I refuse to give any of them up since I am content to read them over and over. SO has no understanding of this concept. SO feels once read means done with it forever. NO SUCH LUCK! :o It is getting where we are thinking of adding a room to our house just for all my books. That sounds extreme but would be lovely for me.

Here is my twist on getting a Kindle. When I feel a need for a new book, I buy them used, usually on ebay. I try to find lots of 8 or more. I love it when I run across a series and can find the whole series on ebay, used, for a great price. I hardly ever pay retail for a new book. In my mind, I can't justify purchasing a Kindle and each book since I can get them cheaper on Ebay. Does Kindle offer something like lots of books for a discounted rate? Or has anyone seen where people offer the mem cards of books they have bought and no longer want? I cannot find anything like this so am thinking the technology might be too new for something like this.

Talked about getting one of these for X mas but talked myself out of it due to the expense. Now, we are preparing for our first cruise and I am wishing I had one to take w me. Packing 4-5 books means weight added to luggage. SO is insisting I can't take any w me. I am insisting I am because we have one very long flight to Anchorage, then one long flight from Seattle back home. That is about 17 hrs total. I am almost screaming what am I supposed to do during alllllllllll this time???

Anyone got one I could rent for 10 days. LOL I will buy my own chip and pay for the downloads. :cool:

I got my Kindle2 last week and I'm hooked forever! Carry it with me at all times b/c it fits easily in my purse and those times when I wished I had something to read while waiting are gone forever! I also think there's a way to save archived books to re-read later if you want (I do that, too). Some books are less than the $9.99 - some are free, too - but I do feel it will pay for itself in no time at the rate I'm reading! Last cruise I brought 5 books, this time just one Kindle. :D I'm a happy reader.

Archived