First cruise on X Century review.

wraithe

The following is what I posted to our Roll Call thread when I got home today. After 8 cruises on RCL, Grandeur, Mariner and Radiance, I did a family cruise on Celebrity Century, here's my initial review.

Home from the cruise today.

Flights down were great, Southwest and Spirit Airlines did a beautiful job of getting all of us to Fort Lauderdale airport. My brother in law rented a van from Thrifty, and I rented a SUV from Budget. Again, very efficiently handled and good cars.

The hotel was a disaster, as I mentioned above. I made a mistake and booked rooms at the Rodeway Inn Miami Airport. Should have gone ahead and found another place to stay when they tried to cancel my reservation on Wednesday the 6th of Feb when I was supposed to arrive with 8 people on 9 Feb. I made the reservations in August 2008. They overbooked, tried to blame it on Choice Privileges, and expected to just cancel me with no attempt at resolution. Choice Privileges persuaded them to honor my ressie, but oh my gosh, I should have just found another place to stay. The room they put me in for Saturday the 9th wasn't even safe, much less comfortable. There was no phone, the phone jack had been ripped out of the wall (I have pictures). No chair for the desk, no clothes hanging bar, no cold water in the sink (I eventually turned it on myself), no remote for the TV. The deadbolt just spun around and around, no locky. The bathroom floor and toilet was spattered with paint, the bathtub water ran continuously, the border around the room had been painted over, not removed, just painted over. The AC units in both rooms that I stayed in either did not have covers, or the covers would not stay on. They promised me a 20 minute pickup from the airport, after one hour 20 minutes and 3 phone calls, they finally sent a shuttle. The shuttle driver said they had a wealth builder convention for Chinese in town, and they had as many as 10 people sleeping in some of their rooms. I know for a fact that at least 3 other Choice Privileges members refused their reservations when they saw how dirty and unkempt their rooms were and went to another hotel. This place is a wreck, they should be ashamed to ask people to stay there, much less charge for the rooms. I am filing a complaint with the Florida Hotel Regulators, and have already filed a formal complaint with Choice Privileges. They did shuttle 11 of us to the Port of Miami.

The cruise had fabulous bright spots and some terrible low spots. I admit that I was lazy and instead of forcing my Mother and Mother in Law to figure out how to do the online checkin, I just did the online checkin under my credit card for 7 of the 11 of us, from 4 different states, thinking they could just reset our sea pass accounts to individual credit cards at the pier. Ummm, not so much. Even though they took my Mom's and my daughter's credit card information at the pier, their purchases were automatically transferred to my account for the duration of the cruise. Now, they did manage to reset my Mother in Law's account, but no one elses. Go figure. Guest Services were terrible on the ship. I've never been confronted on a cruise with people who were less capable/willing to resolve a problem. My Mother requested them to stop the automatic gratuities, so they canceled hers, and my Mother in Laws. By the time we figured it out, it was too late to fix, and we had to pay her tips in cash, they just couldn't figure out how to add them back to the sea pass account. The Guest Service's staff refused to allow more than one Comment Card per stateroom. My Mother, and Mother in Law's opinions were vastly different, but had to share one comment card, I'm serious, they told me they would not give me another card. My experience on Royal, they have a stack of comment cards laying on the Purser's Desk, just pick them up. Food was wonderful, loved the ship, Captain's Club hostesses <sp> were amazing, first time being invited to dine at the Captain's Table with the Chief Engineer (couldn't have been better for me), toured the Engineering Control Room at the Chief Engineer's invitation, toured the bridge for the first time. Disembark was handled very well, off the ship and had my luggage by 08:30.

Miami Beach 411 was awesome shuttling us from Port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale Airport, picked us up right on time. The flights home were touch and go, 7 of us made it home with no problems, 1 was delayed in Fort Lauderdale by 3-1/2 hours, 3 were delayed in La Guardia for 3 hours.

It was a first cruise for my adult children, and they loved it, even with the problems, they are now as hooked on cruising as I am. My Mother pretty much hated it. She's a Carnival cruiser, and with the problems at the Purser's Desk, (her perceived) lack of entertainment, and wait staff spread too thin. She will never sail Celebrity again, and is happily headed back to Carnival. My kids and I may try another Celebrity cruise from Charleston if the price is fantastic, otherwise, I'm going back to Royal, and won't be looking back.

Congrats on getting to see the engineering control room - that must've been very cool...

Yep, it was, would have loved to see another engine room, but not this time. The engines on the Century are unique, direct, geared drive to the screws. Comment from the Greek Staff Engineer, "German's and crazy people design stuff like this".

Our second cruise was on the century when it was new. We found it to be nice, but a little boring compared to RCCL, but we also were younger then. A few years later we decided to go on the Millenium and loved it. We've been on 4 Millenium-class cruises now. Don't give up on X.

Question - why are you posting your review here for Celebrity Cruise Lines?

If I may answer ...

because the poster is an RCI regular and comparisons between the two lines are made.

Thank-you, as another RCI loyalist who has wondered if Celebrity might be a 'step up', I found this review interesting.

Question - why are you posting your review here for Celebrity Cruise Lines?

English Jane is exactly right. My purpose for sailing Celebrity, in addition to spending time with both sides of my family, I wanted to experience what RCL's sister line had to offer. I'm much more experienced with RCL and thought other RCL cruisers could perhaps get some information from my review, while I don't think it would be helpful at all to X cruisers.

Herb,

Glad to see you made it home. I can't believe the hotel thing continued to be a disaster.

I am really sorry that things on the ship didn't go much better.

Lucky you, I can't believe you were at the Captain's table. I can just imagine how much fun you had talking to the Engineer.

Did you get any dancing time in? Onward and upward to Nov.

Patti

Herb,

Glad to see you made it home. I can't believe the hotel thing continued to be a disaster.

I am really sorry that things on the ship didn't go much better.

Lucky you, I can't believe you were at the Captain's table. I can just imagine how much fun you had talking to the Engineer.

Did you get any dancing time in? Onward and upward to Nov.

Patti

Hey Patti, dining with the Chief Engineer at the Captain's Table was awesome, Lisa wouldn't let me monopolize him, LOL. We did get some dancing in, had a really good time except for Guest Services, every thing else was really nice. The Captain's Club staff was wonderful and the Ship's Officers were very approachable. Overall, it was a good cruise, I just think RCI's product is a better fit for us, and I can't wait to be back on "our" Grandeur.

Our second cruise was on the century when it was new. We found it to be nice, but a little boring compared to RCCL, but we also were younger then. A few years later we decided to go on the Millenium and loved it. We've been on 4 Millenium-class cruises now. Don't give up on X.

Well, actually, I think they're moving Mercury to Baltimore and Charleston, so it may be too convenient to not give it a try. I absolutely know next time to do things exactly right during onboard checkin, no being lazy!! :eek:

If I may answer ...

because the poster is an RCI regular and comparisons between the two lines are made.

Thank-you, as another RCI loyalist who has wondered if Celebrity might be a 'step up', I found this review interesting.

As did I. And since my first cruise was on Celebrity, before I switched to RCI, I was interested in hearing about his experience and how it compared to my own.

Little more info, talked to my kids this morning, wondering if their feelings may have dampened down a little after leaving the ship. My daughter's first words, "Where's my buffet breakfast, what do you mean they sailed without me?" My son reiterated again that he loved it, and my future son-in-law is looking at itineraries and rates, and different cabins, etc, etc. We all know how that feels. They're fully infected with the cruise bug now.

As a loyal royal, I've wanted to try celebrity but I'm concerned about their dress code. My DH is a casual person and doesn't like being in his suit more than for dinner on formal nights and I read that on X they want you to be dressed all night, is this what really happens with all passengers? He would even go as far as just taking off the jacket and tie if that would be acceptable. I really want to give them a chance, any advice would be helpful!

As a loyal royal, I've wanted to try celebrity but I'm concerned about their dress code. My DH is a casual person and doesn't like being in his suit more than for dinner on formal nights and I read that on X they want you to be dressed all night, is this what really happens with all passengers? He would even go as far as just taking off the jacket and tie if that would be acceptable. I really want to give them a chance, any advice would be helpful!

I stayed in formal all evening, as did everyone else in our group. I do not remember seeing anyone else in casual, except around the pool area, but did not look for them that closely either. I do not think it would be inappropriate to take off his tie, or his jacket, but for me, I would keep the jacket on. They really were a little more formal than Royal, in my opinion.

When I do online check-in for my family (yes, you aren't the only one that has computer illiterate family, :D) I get all passport, phone contact numbers, birthdays, AND credit card info. I think your problems with the purser definitely stemmed from your putting everyone on your card. :rolleyes: I just don't think they are equipped to handle changes like that onboard. All information comes fixed in the system' from Celebrity headquarters. That's the whole purpose of online check-in...to get the financial stuff done ahead of time. :rolleyes:

We loved our Celebrity Century cruise. The staterooms were not as large as RCCL, but the food and dining service were outstanding IMO.

Question - why would you ask a CC member about where they chose to post their threads?

The OP mentioned RCCL several times in this post.

I asked a question because I wondered - I wasn't nasty - I got my answer and you don't have to jump all over me for asking a question.

When I do online check-in for my family (yes, you aren't the only one that has computer illiterate family, :D) I get all passport, phone contact numbers, birthdays, AND credit card info. I think your problems with the purser definitely stemmed from your putting everyone on your card. :rolleyes: I just don't think they are equipped to handle changes like that onboard. All information comes fixed in the system' from Celebrity headquarters. That's the whole purpose of online check-in...to get the financial stuff done ahead of time. :rolleyes:

I agree, I was lazy and that was the crux of the issue, I won't make that mistake again. I have changed credit cards at the pier before with Royal and didn't have any trouble, so I mistakenly thought that it would be an easy fix again this time.

We loved our Celebrity Century cruise. The staterooms were not as large as RCCL, but the food and dining service were outstanding IMO.

I agree, the food was outstanding, and service was very good. One thing I forgot to mention, they probably had the best equipment (all Life Fitness if I remember correctly, even the weight machines) in the gym that I've ever run across with a flat screen tv connected to every piece of cardio equipment, and jacks for your headset.

I agree, I was lazy and that was the crux of the issue, I won't make that mistake again. I have changed credit cards at the pier before with Royal and didn't have any trouble, so I mistakenly thought that it would be an easy fix again this time.

I agree, the food was outstanding, and service was very good. One thing I forgot to mention, they probably had the best equipment (all Life Fitness if I remember correctly, even the weight machines) in the gym that I've ever run across with a flat screen tv connected to every piece of cardio equipment, and jacks for your headset.

That's all new from the dry docking. :)

Did a 10 day X, Constellation, in January and was pleasantly surprised at how relaxed the cruise was. We saw many out of formal wear after dinner even some shorts in the theater. It was one of our best cruises and we have been very loyal to Royal.

This is strange. Century's room sizes are 174 sq ft .. and even newest RCCL ships's rooms are 160 sq ft. Maybe you are comparing different types of rooms? (Suite vs standard)

Do you remember what miami 411 charged and do you have a link to their website? Thanks

They charged me $174.00 for 11 people and all luggage, pickup at the pier, dropoff at Southwest and Spirit Airlines terminals. That also included all tolls, driver tips, and everything.

Click here for a link or call 888-884-6934. Hope that helps.

Archived