Shore excursions in Alaska for 3 and 5 yr old ~

escapeperth

You might want to take a look at a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests first. Determine your budget. A 3 year old can be tough. You might only want to consider shorter tours with a way out, if younger and active. Nothing worse, for everyone, to be confined for hours in tight spaces with an unhappy child.

One option, walking tours can be great adventures, even adding a "treasure hunt" option. :) Head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, both have walking tours. Find out about attractions on routes and stops to consider. Involve the kids and see what's of interest to them?

It depends on the kids, their interests, activity level etc. When we went to Alaska in 2001, my younger two kids were 2 & 5, but my daughter was very mature and well behaved for a 2 year old. They did fine on the train in Skagway. OTOH, my nieces were 3 and 6 at that time and were not nearly as well behaved and entertained. I don't think that their ages were the biggest issue in their behavior. I'm sure your children aren't spoiled, whiney... ahem... enough said.

We also took them whale watching in Juneau because our oldest son (8 at the time) was obsessed with whales. It was our #1 most important tour to take and it was worth it, but I can't say that the 2 year old got much out of it. We spent a lot of time walking the younger kids around the boat between sightings, but they were easily amused and never really a problem. I don't think I would have taken them whale watching if we hadn't been going for their brother's sake. Unless your kids have an intense interest in whales, seals, birds, etc. you might want to skip the whale watching this time.

I'll admit that we did leave them in the kid programs on ship while we went ashore to go shopping and wander on our own sometimes. Judging from all the artwork and stories, they had more fun there than they would have being dragged around a bunch of shops.

We will be going to Alaska in May with an infant, a 3 year old, and a 6 year old. I have decided on doing a whale watching excursion in Juneau and then maybe something like the "duck" tour, or lumberjack show in Ketchikan as those are inexpensive and short. In Skagway we may rent a car as we can drive the same path as the train but allows us to go at our own pace.

I would check out the Liarsville Gold Rush Camp and Salmon Bake in Skagway. The salmon bake is delish - chicken available for non salmon eaters (fwiw - I am not a salmon fan but I LOVED the salmon there). The staff is all in appropriate period attire and stay in character during the entire visit. The kids will get a chance to pan for gold (gold is guaranteed as each pan is "salted") and get up close and personal with an Alaskan Malamute! A live show at the "hippodrome" is also included - the works of native poet "Robert Service" are performed.

Archived