Best timing for an Alaska cruise?

vincent15

We started our cruisetour on June 1st last year up in Fairbanks, flew to the Arctic Circle and visited Coldfoot and Wiseman. Spent the next 5 days doing Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage to Seward where we boarded the Millie on the 6th. The weather was great for us. A little rain but not much. Hubbard Glacier on the 7th was bright and sunny. I actually got a sunburn in my shorts and tank top on our aft balcony. We hit a little rain in Juneau while on the Adventure Bound boat up the Tracy Arm to the twin Sawyer Glaciers and a little rain in Skagway. But, all in all what rain we did have didn't last and wasn't hard to get around in. Only had mosquitos up in Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle but I brought some 100% Deet and was never bothered. We returned the 13th. Many momma's with their new little ones just coming out at that time of the year. We saw everything except a lynx in Denali. We saw bears, moose and caribou from the train rides, too. While onboard, we had a window table for two and during dinner we could see whales spouting all over the place, it was awesome! Have a great time whatever you choose! I know we sure did and would do it all over again the same way! :D

Has anyone been in September???

Hi Betty:) I have been...actually this past September.

It was cloudy with some rain but I still had a fabulous time:D and

I would go again in Sept if I had the chance. The prices are lower

and that is a big factor for me.

I have also sailed to Alaska in May and it happened to be

sunny that week;)

We have also been in Sept. (actually the last cruise of the season), and the temps were unsually warm. No rain...sunshine...and temps in the 60's.

Alaska is so beautiful, that anytime during the cruising season is wonderful. Rain or shine...you'll have a wonderful trip.

We have also been in Sept. (actually the last cruise of the season), and the temps were unsually warm. No rain...sunshine...and temps in the 60's.

Alaska is so beautiful, that anytime during the cruising season is wonderful. Rain or shine...you'll have a wonderful trip.

Hi Karyn,:) I was on the last cruise of the season too..that

was back in Sept on Mercury. I guess that week was colder

than yours! Had to wear my jacket in every port. Still,

it was absolutely wonderful:)

Watch out going too early in the season if you want to see the glaciers. You don't see the glaciers as much since they are still covered in snow. Usually lots of whales in May/early June but snow hasn't melted off the glaciers yet. You'll see the faces of the glaciers but not the lengths of the glaciers going back into the mountains and all the hanging glaciers will probably be covered.

Since your only criteria is seeing wildlife, go in August, you'll see so many varieties of flying insects you'll be in awe, there will be tons of wild children running around and plenty of wild teenagers all over the ship. Also depends on the cruise, a 1 way to Anchorage or a round trip 7 day. Personally, I would go in late May or late September on an RT cruise, spring like weather, very few school age children, very few bugs, no wildlife to speak off, just scenic views and insanely low prices. Just find a ship with an indoor pool. We went on a ship with no indoor pools and we could never really use them.

Less bugs, warmer....

Can someone please explain about the "bugs" in Alaska? We're booked on Mercury for mid-May. We've only done South Pacific cruises so far & are used to taking sunscreen & mosquito spray for the tropics but I didn't think of it for Alaska.

Can someone please explain about the "bugs" in Alaska? We're booked on Mercury for mid-May. We've only done South Pacific cruises so far & are used to taking sunscreen & mosquito spray for the tropics but I didn't think of it for Alaska.

Hi Anne and Allen:) I have been to Alaska at the beginning

of the season and at the end and can honestly tell you I don't

remember any bugs.

I went in Mid May the first time. It was sunny and beautiful:)

Thanks:)....layer, layer, layer....layering is definitely the best

way to pack for Alaska.

Thanks for compliment. I have 2 sets of Alaska pictures.

(from both sailings).

People ask what its like...it is majestic:)

When we sailed on summit July 29th 2005, All we heard from the staff was that it was better that time cause in the start of the summer the bugs were bad in some ports. We had very little kids on our ship, other then the one table of people who I think could not spell and were supposed to be on CARNIVAL not Celebrity.

Denali was in the high 80's also so was fairbanks, it was good, coastal cruise was damp and cooler though.

Hi Betty:) I have been...actually this past September.

It was cloudy with some rain but I still had a fabulous time:D and

I would go again in Sept if I had the chance. The prices are lower

and that is a big factor for me.

I have also sailed to Alaska in May and it happened to be

sunny that week;)

My dear Nedra and I went on Infinity in early September of 2006. It was quite cold and drizzle rather than rain. But, we still had a wonderful time, and made a number of new friends, several of whom sent me sympathy cards.

Lois, Nedra passed away on January 4, 2009. So after 8 cruises, I will now be cruising alone. Have one on SilverSea's Silver Shadow in November. Two reasons for that. Nedra and I took our last cruise on Silver Shadow before she became so ill. The other is that I am being charged only 125% instead of Celebrity's 200% solo supplement.

My dear Nedra and I went on Infinity in early September of 2006. It was quite cold and drizzle rather than rain. But, we still had a wonderful time, and made a number of new friends, several of whom sent me sympathy cards.

Lois, Nedra passed away on January 4, 2009. So after 8 cruises, I will now be cruising alone. Have one on SilverSea's Silver Shadow in November. Two reasons for that. Nedra and I took our last cruise on Silver Shadow before she became so ill. The other is that I am being charged only 125% instead of Celebrity's 200% solo supplement.

Ohhhh Charlie, I am so sorry:( and my heartfelt wishes and good

thoughts go out to you.....hopefully you will find peace and

those good memories will help you get through this tough time.

I had no idea......

Email me if you want....

lo1958@hotmail.com

Archived