Decent hotel in Manhattan with parking (not too expensive)

newlu

You'll do better if you find a hotel first and then search the nearby area for the most reasonable parking. Check out http://nyc.bestparking.com/. You will pay a premium to toss your car at a hotel to park. Most NY hotels do not have in house parking because most guests do not come with cars. They will most likely park it in a nearby lot - something you can do yourself.

Hi,

Going on the Explorer, then want do spend 3 days/2 nights in Manhattan. any good hotel where parking is reasonable, and not $60 per day?

Thanks

newlu

The Travel Inn (http://www.thetravelinnhotel.com/) actually has free parking in Manhattan and it is a moderately priced hotel.

Only downside is it is way over between 10th and 11th Avenues but it is two-three crosstown blocks to Times Square.

The Travel Inn is showing good rates through the end of March, but then it jumps to $300-$400/night. That's a lot to pay for a place on 42nd St. between 10th & 11th Ave. - 3 avenues across town to Times Square.

I'd still search for a more reasonable and more centrally located hotel and then look for the parking. The parking does not have to be next to the hotel - you will park your car once and leave it until you leave, so walking a couple of avenues is not a big deal. However, you will be in and out of your hotel during the day, so walking those avenues is huge.

The Travel Inn is showing good rates through the end of March, but then it jumps to $300-$400/night. That's a lot to pay for a place on 42nd St. between 10th & 11th Ave. - 3 avenues across town to Times Square.

I'm betting if the Travel Inn is charging that much that other hotels will also be through the roof. It is consistently one of the better priced hotels in Manhattan.

Hi,

Will look for a hotel and then search for a parking around, sure, but only thing is that we are driving to Bayonne, leaving our car there during our 5 night cruise, then we wanted to go to NY, one day visiting, then going to see the Yankees (2 games) so am looking for the best way to do all this. I know the Sheraton on the Hudson has free parking, and we can take ferries into Manhattan and I think there's also a ferry to go to Yankee stadium, but I wanted to stay in Manhattan so that I can shop on my own while they go see the games (DH and DS).

Thanks for any advice.

newlu

If your car is already parked at the Sheraton in Weehawken, why don't you just leave it there 2 more days even if you have to pay to park it? Could you pack a separate smaller bag for your 2 days in NY? Then when you get back from the Explorer, you could take a cab back to the Sheraton, put your luggage in the trunk, and go into NY on the ferry with your smaller bag. Your luggage will probably be safer in a car in Weekhawken than in a car in NY and you probably don't want to lug all that stuff around anyway.

Look through this forum for suggestions about bidding on NY rooms. When are you doing all this?

A cruise to Yankee Stadium sounds really nice, but it's not the only way to get there. The subway will take you and will be a real NY experience, particularly for your DS.

Hi,

We are going to do this in July. We are driving to whatever hotel we decide to stay the night before the cruise, then we thought we would take the car to the port for the 5 days. After is when we wanted to book the Sheraton and use the ferries to get to NY and we need a decent way for the guys to get to Yankee Stadium. Now the price of the ferry (last year's schedule that I found) was $22 each per game (so both ways) and that sounds like a good price and probably safe to do at night. I on the other hand, dont think I will take the ferry on my own to go shopping while they are at the games.... That's why I wanted to be right in the middle of it all in NY, but with prices for parking, am more leaning towards staying in Jersey City.

Any other advice would be great, thanks for everything already!

newlu

Hi,

We are going to do this in July. We are driving to whatever hotel we decide to stay the night before the cruise, then we thought we would take the car to the port for the 5 days. After is when we wanted to book the Sheraton and use the ferries to get to NY and we need a decent way for the guys to get to Yankee Stadium. Now the price of the ferry (last year's schedule that I found) was $22 each per game (so both ways) and that sounds like a good price and probably safe to do at night. I on the other hand, dont think I will take the ferry on my own to go shopping while they are at the games.... That's why I wanted to be right in the middle of it all in NY, but with prices for parking, am more leaning towards staying in Jersey City.

Any other advice would be great, thanks for everything already!

newlu

You'd be better off staying in Manhattan. Your family can take the subway to the stadium for $2 each and it is the quickest and best way to get to and from the games.

Jersey City is very out of the way for what you want to do. Commuting will also take up a large amount of your time.

With hotel prices leveling out, you really aren't saving that much by staying in Jersey City adding on all of your commuting costs.

Hi,

Subway costs $2.00 to get to the Stadium? Is that easy, direct line, can you suggest a few hotels, I like the Marriott Marquis, there's a few Sheratons, the Newyorker, etc. and where exactly do we park the car? Can we leave the car at the Bayonne Port and get some kind of transportation to NY, now my main concern, is it safe to ride the subway at night, late to come back to the hotel from the Stadium (7:00pm game). Have only been to NY once, and that was over 15 years ago, son not even born!

Thanks

newlu

DH and DS should have no problem taking the subway to Yankee Stadium for a game. That is a major way to get to the games and they should be perfectly safe on the subway.

I can suggest two solutions for your car. One is to book the Country Inns park/cruise package (I think you get 8 days parking) and pay for an extra cruise transfer. After the cruise return back to Country Inns, put your cruise luggage in the trunk, take your NY luggage and go on the bus to NY.

The other is the same but park at the cruise pier for 5 days ($95), and then drive to the Journal Square transportation center in Jersey City to park the car ($12/day). From there you can take the uptown PATH train to Herald Square where you can either walk or take a quick cab ride to your hotel. Both these options let you stay in NY without the hassle of a car.

Perhaps others will have more suggestions for you.

Also, could you tell us what day of the week your cruise departs and arrives? That could affect our suggestions. For example, if you arrive back on a weekday, you really don't want to deal with the morning traffic through the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel to move your car to NY. You would waste half your day doing that. Bus to NY on a weekday morning is not so bad because they have express lanes for the bus.

Thank you!! I think I like that idea. We cruise from Saturday to Thursday morning (Bermuda 5 nights on the Explorer). So I would drive to the Port, park for the entire time, then take the car and park it at another parking in NJ, then take the train to NY with lets say our carryons only. Stay 2 nights in NY then return to pick it up on the Saturday, after the Yankees game. That makes sense, we really dont want to drive to NY and pay $50 per day for parking, but I really want to stay in NY! Am looking at hotels, I like the Marriott Marquis, the Hyatt, Crown Plaza, NewYorker, and of course The Westins or Sheratons if the price is right. Any suggestion, want a nice hotel (at least 3 1/2 stars) walking distance to shopping (for me) and not too hard for them to get to the Stadium.

I love this site! Thanks again!

newlu

I'm really not the person to give you hotel recommendations in New York. Any of the hotels you have mentioned would be OK. You can't go wrong with a 3 1/2 * hotel in midtown Manhattan.

You need to look into the express debarkation from the ship. This means that you get off first,but you have to carry your luggage. This shouldn't be a problem for a 5 day cruise. Quite frankly, for 5 days if you can't carry your luggage, you've taken way too much stuff. But the catch is that you have to sign up for the express debarkation and there are limited slots, so you have to be on top of that.

If you pull up Mapquest, you will see that Journal Square is only 7 1/2 miles from the cruise terminal. The traffic will not be bad at rush hour. The Path train to NY (33rd St.) starts at Journal Square, so if you get on the first car you should be able to get a seat. Just be patient and let a train go by if you have to.

Thanks so much for all the advice you are giving me! I know about the express departure, have been doing that for the last 2 cruises now, and since I am a platinum member with Royal, sometimes when they dont have many Diamonds, they give us priority also. Am looking forward to Bermuda (never been) and of course, NY, my 13 year old son cant wait!

If I have more questions, I will do this again, this site is just great!

Thanks again,

newlu

Archived