Best Underwater Camera?

JJPacer

We would like to buy a waterproof camera for snorkeling. We'll consider any price. We don't scuba dive. DH may dive down 15 ft. or so to snap a picture if something catches his eye. We want great underwater pictures. We have a very nice camera for land pictures. We've been to some beautiful areas, and I have always been disappointed with the quality of the underwater pictures. If you could make recommendations, we would be very grateful. I don't speak camera techno. The more I read, the more confused I get. Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

i have an Olympus Stylus 770sw and am very happy with it.. if you do a forum search (if the search is working :rolleyes:) for underwater camera there are a few threads out there about them. I will attach some pics that I took with it.

It is waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, etc.. and it was dropped while on vacation. It took some getting used to - as the lens in in the upper left corner of the camera not the middle.. so lots of fingers in the pics at first.. it takes good video too..

I'm sure there are multiple threads on the Olympus ones too.. mine is "waterproof to 30+ feet" and i think the newer models are to 15 ft.

Here are some pics:

P3180050.jpg

fish1-1.jpg

P3160032.jpg

P3160037.jpg

a lot of normal cameras have underwater casings that fit them specifically.. You may want to check that out. I have an underwater casing for my Canon SD600. I put it in the case, enter it into underwater mode and this is some of the photos that I had taken just two weeks ago...

l_b1d14fbcb90243f286ab88a383329698.jpg

l_8fbea640cbee45d48c1c5f909a76120a.jpg

l_44f4c6f8fea64361a4705874b23f4325.jpg

l_8a9b6b6ad86a4b1784ca4c0205724538.jpg

You may want to just search on google for "underwater casing for **(enter name of your camera here)" and see if one exists. I would do this especially if your camera already has an underwater setting.

They work great. I am impressed with how ours did. Last time we bought some special underwater camera and it did horrible. The Canon gets an A.

a lot of normal cameras have underwater casings that fit them specifically..

You may want to just search on google for "underwater casing for **(enter name of your camera here)" and see if one exists. I would do this especially if your camera already has an underwater setting.

I'll save you some time. There is a website that lists the housings available for just about each camera made by all major manufactures (if there is one made that is).

http://www.digideep.com

If you do want to search on your own, you really need to search for "Underwater Housing" for your camera.

yeah I forgot about the underwater housings..

guess i didnt think about it because i have a Canon Powershot S3 and they dont make them for that one.

Actually Ikelite makes a housing (that cost $750.00) for the Cannon S3 (cost about $300.00 - $400.00) which is the set up I use. I bought the housing because the S3 is a pretty good camera for the money and if for some reason the housing floods I can replace the camera at a very reasonable cost.

Sony has a lot of really good camera / housings for a few hundred bucks total that take great underwater pictures. I used a Sony 3.2 for years that was a really good camera and housing.

Your best bet is to buy a popular model point and shoot camera which has an underwater case. Look at the Canon SD 880 or Panasonic TZ5 cameras, or similar model cameras in these lines, along with the corresponding underwater "marine" cases but stick with cases made by the manufacturer specifically for that camera - these will work best.

Problem with waterproof cameras that don't need a case is that all waterproof camera systems rely on rubber gaskets, usually called "o-rings". While it is easy to get these to work in shallow depths, anything more than a few feet deep can leak from water pressure if they are slightly dirty or have something like some sand or a few hairs across them. The waterproof cases are designed to work really well and have instructions and materials for maintaining the seals and are much more reliable.

If the prices are a bit high then look on eBay for a case for a recently discontinued camera and then buy the camera too on eBay. I also have a few tips on the link for underwater photos below, by my "signature". I consider myself a snap-shooter and not a real photographer, but have come up with some decent photos and found some techniques that really make the colors come out nice and pop a bit.

I will look into all of your suggestions. I appreciate all your help. I will be sure to post any good underwater pictures I take on the website. I am optimistic that I can finally get some good UW pics with your help ;).

I have the INtova #IC-600, bought it on ebay for 129 new, its a chinese made camera(yeah...I know, but wait) with an included housing, im really impressed with it, though I need another cruise to get my practice with it. but its a surprisingly good camera in and out of the water for the price. it also does video, make sure to wash the salt off!! I took it to jamaica and used it outside in the rain and left my Canon Sd in the hotel, and the pics came out pretty darn great IMO. :cool:

I would add pics but I dont know how to post them here :(

P.S. Pnuts camera takes some REALLY nice pics, if i wasnt worried about cash I'd look into that one!!!!

Get one of the new point-and-shoots whose lens racks back wiiide

to either 28mm.(35 mm equiv) or even better "24 mm."

You want the widest possible angle lens for underwater scenic stuff.

"35mm." lenses(or their digi-equiv.) are close to useless.

And btw...Ikelite products are superior and bulletproof.

So if Ike makes a housing for something like the little Nikon Coopix P50 with its "28mm." lens, go for it.

or that new (expensive)slimline Panasonic at "24mm" -even better

Back in the 70s I used to use a Nikonos with the 15 mm. f2.8 UW-Nikkor

- now THAT's a lens suitable for underwater use.

I still have it, even if the controls are all seized-up

Also had a Hasselbald SWC with intentions of getting it into a housing

but that never transpired..shame really.

Has anyone used the Aquapak waterproof "bag" for their digital cameras? I can't afford to buy a hard waterproof case($150 to 200) but I still want to take pictures in and around the water. My camera is a canon powershot SD1000 digital elph.

Here's the website: http://www.altrec.com/aquapac/compact-camera-waterproof-case

And btw...Ikelite products are superior and bulletproof. So if Ike makes a housing for something like the little Nikon Coopix P50 with its "28mm." lens, go for it. or that new (expensive)slimline Panasonic at "24mm" -even better

I agree Ikelite ain't to bad for the money :rolleyes:. If I could only remember to turn the flash on for close up shots, or maybe just leave the darn thing on period it would really help.

Also I did a shore dive while in Barbados on a sunken ship about a hundred yards off the beach and can't find any information on the wreck. There were several large cannons around the area and a huge anchor (I assume not from the same ship). Any ideal at all?

2176516080091393226S500x500Q85.jpg2666695350091393226S500x500Q85.jpg

Here's one tidbit that would have helped me in the past - whether a Nikonos or a inexpensive point & shoot, take some pics before you go (on dry land) and make sure you know how it works. I lost three spectcular (would have been) rolls w/ a Nikonos before I knew how to load it properly (oops). Another trip and another camera, my flash wasn't working. Hard to trouble shoot that underwater when the sharks are swimming by. Practice practice first, then go shoot those fishies!

transplanted,

if you are still looking for a waterproof bag take a look at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/DiCAPac-WP-500-Underwater-Waterproof-Digital/dp/B00161BY4I

I bought this before our November cruise.

will pull up a couple photos. I would still like to buy a waterproof camera at some point, but for the money it was well worth it. also made it nice just to know that I didn't have to worry about sand and dirt getting in it.

this was taken with the diCAPac with a $149 Kodak easy share

2801677760103583464S600x600Q85.jpg

this was not underwater, instead it was above water while parasailing across orient bay. I tied the camera with bag to my arm while we jet skied to the boat and then dipped into the water to take off with the parasailing. Will "flying across the water" i couldn't tell what I was taking pictures of, just kept snapping away. Plan to have this shot made into a oil painting for the bedroom

2402684420103583464S600x600Q85.jpg

I have the INtova #IC-600, bought it on ebay for 129 new, its a chinese made camera(yeah...I know, but wait) with an included housing, im really impressed with it, though I need another cruise to get my practice with it. but its a surprisingly good camera in and out of the water for the price. it also does video, make sure to wash the salt off!! I took it to jamaica and used it outside in the rain and left my Canon Sd in the hotel, and the pics came out pretty darn great IMO. :cool:

I would add pics but I dont know how to post them here :(

P.S. Pnuts camera takes some REALLY nice pics, if i wasnt worried about cash I'd look into that one!!!!

Hi there,

I just got the Intova IC 600, can you post the pictures you took. It would help me to get me know what type of pictures it takes.

Charotarguy

I bought the Olympus SP560 with the Olympus PT-037 housing for our South Pacific cruise last Apr-May and was pleased with the both overall. The camera performed very well and I'm going to add the optional strobe for my next trip. The camera in low light for evening shots did a little focus searching but could be overcome by manual focus. You can see in the shots below.

1570054267_P5020795(Medium).jpg.cc113f891f26bb83de9130f739c0ca2c.jpg

1206159999_P5020813(Medium).jpg.d58956d20a52957985db4c4fe734e903.jpg

860803075_P5020842(Medium).jpg.dacad97722d474fe8af84f4c459eaeef.jpg

329649867_P5020827(Medium).jpg.fccc8da9bd7a3911198988443323d6b0.jpg

149015561_P5020707(Medium).jpg.e1aa1c943df718feba8496fdca9b237e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I must say that Olympus has a very nice line of underwater camera's. I had the Stylus 720SW and it was great. I took several pictures with it, and was very pleased with the way they turned out. I WOULD put some on here for you, but just can't quite figure out how to do it. Anyway, I got rid of it for a depth factor, and now have the newer Stylus 1030SW. Great camera! The 720 is good for a depth up to 12 feet if I remember correctly. The new 1030 is good for 33 feet. It also has many other great features like shock proof up to 15 feet, and crush proof upto 250 lbs. Very nice, tough little camera. Hope this helps

transplanted,

if you are still looking for a waterproof bag take a look at this one:

http://www.amazon.com/DiCAPac-WP-500-Underwater-Waterproof-Digital/dp/B00161BY4I

I bought this before our November cruise.

will pull up a couple photos. I would still like to buy a waterproof camera at some point, but for the money it was well worth it. also made it nice just to know that I didn't have to worry about sand and dirt getting in it.

Hi! I just bought the DiCAPac for my canon PowerShot for our cruise in May. I am still leery about it and noticed that with my practice shots I keep getting the ring around the lens to show up in the pictures. Did you have that problem and if so, how did you correct it? Also noticed that I cant seem to move the zoom lever while in the case.

Thanks! Deb

Archived