Carnival Cruise Arrival Time and crusing with Toddler?

docboy

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered this great forum here....

I'm thinking of taking a 4 day Carnival Cruise on Paradise out of LA this coming March. Any experiences (good & bad) with Carnival? I sailed with Royal Caribbean before, and they were great. But never Carnival...

Also, the only same day flight with a decent price into LAX I can only find flies in at either 9am or 1pm. Ship leaves that day at 5:30pm. You guys think the 1pm arrival is too late? LAX is about 30 miles from the port, and we can either take a shuttle or taxi. The 9am arrival seems too early, since we're taking our 2yr old and we would depart here at 6am!

Additionally, what have your experiences been like cruising with a toddler? She's potty trained, and I was talking with a Carnival agent who said as long as she's potty trained and does not need to wear swim diapers, she's allowed in the main pool area. Any toddler pool experiences? Is there enough things on the ship to keep the kids busy?

Thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I just discovered this great forum here....

I'm thinking of taking a 4 day Carnival Cruise on Paradise out of LA this coming March. Any experiences (good & bad) with Carnival? I sailed with Royal Caribbean before, and they were great. But never Carnival...

Also, the only same day flight with a decent price into LAX I can only find flies in at either 9am or 1pm. Ship leaves that day at 5:30pm. You guys think the 1pm arrival is too late? LAX is about 30 miles from the port, and we can either take a shuttle or taxi. The 9am arrival seems too early, since we're taking our 2yr old and we would depart here at 6am!

Additionally, what have your experiences been like cruising with a toddler? She's potty trained, and I was talking with a Carnival agent who said as long as she's potty trained and does not need to wear swim diapers, she's allowed in the main pool area. Any toddler pool experiences? Is there enough things on the ship to keep the kids busy?

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Carnival.

Our boys were a little older than two when we started them cruising, but they have done every age group of Camp Carnival. They have received excellent care. It has been years since we were on the Paradise, we had a great cruise on her.

I would suggest that you also post on the FAMILIES section of this board to get specific advice for cruising with a Toddler.

As far as the flight is concerned...I know it would make a LONG day.....but if I were flying in the day of (which we never do)...I would want to take the early flight....just to allow for what travel life can throw at you sometimes.

Personally, I would fly in the day before and stay right there at the port with a late check out....so that you and your family would rest comfortably until you get on the ship.

Have a GREAT cruise!!!

Hi and welcome to these boards.

Paradise was our first cruise about 9 years ago ~ back when it was smoke- free...we loved it and have been hooked ever since.

Personally, I think arriving at 1:00 is too late...what if there is a delay? Have you thought about flying in the day before and staying in a hotel? Close hotels probably have a shuttle service that will take you right to the pier. You can pack just a small bag of necessities for the hotel and not even open your suitcases.

Our youngest daughter was 3 (our older daughter was 5) on their first cruise. It was awesome...they both loved the cruise so much and loved camp carnival and their "teachers."

I am not sure if you can leave a 2 year old at Camp...but you can go with her and enjoy all of the toys and games with her. In addition to that, there is a kiddie pool that she will probably love.

The biggest suggestion I could give, is to keep her on her schedule. We have traveled with our girls since they were babies. It works best when you keep them close to their schedule. If your daughter naps at 2:00, try to let her have that quiet time then. It might even work out better for you...you may want to keep her up later if she is rested and then maybe she will even sleep later for you in the morning.

Enjoy....

LHP,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Definitely departing at 6am, arriving at 9am, and waiting for 3 hours at the airport would make a VERY LONG day, and result in a cranky 2 yr old... but I definitely see your point on allowing for delays. I've thought about the night prior, but the extra cost (at least $250 for air & hotel) is making me think twice.

I'm likely a gambling man. :) My wife loves going to places super early on the other hand....

I also posted on the FAMILY section as you suggested, so I'm hoping for lots of good feedback on traveling with youngsters :)

I think 1 pm is absolutely too late to be arriving. New ships laws, if you have all your online docs filled out you have to be on the ship 90 minutes ahead of when it leaves. What happens if the flight sits on the runway extra time before take off because there is a cockpit light on for 2 hours? (thats happened to me) .... nevermind if the weather is bad. Most of us get in the night before if we are flying in.

If you miss the cruise because you tried to save money on the flight you will be kicking yourself .... and cruising with a toddler, that could slow your transport time up between the airport and the ship.

Hi and welcome to these boards.

Paradise was our first cruise about 9 years ago ~ back when it was smoke- free...we loved it and have been hooked ever since.

Personally, I think arriving at 1:00 is too late...what if there is a delay? Have you thought about flying in the day before and staying in a hotel? Close hotels probably have a shuttle service that will take you right to the pier. You can pack just a small bag of necessities for the hotel and not even open your suitcases.

Our youngest daughter was 3 (our older daughter was 5) on their first cruise. It was awesome...they both loved the cruise so much and loved camp carnival and their "teachers."

I am not sure if you can leave a 2 year old at Camp...but you can go with her and enjoy all of the toys and games with her. In addition to that, there is a kiddie pool that she will probably love.

The biggest suggestion I could give, is to keep her on her schedule. We have traveled with our girls since they were babies. It works best when you keep them close to their schedule. If your daughter naps at 2:00, try to let her have that quiet time then. It might even work out better for you...you may want to keep her up later if she is rested and then maybe she will even sleep later for you in the morning.

Enjoy....

This is a quick and friendly board. :)

I'm talking about the flight schedule with my wife as I type. Whatever we decide, we better decide quick so we can book our flight and cruise.

Thanks for the ideas about the kids schedule. Similar to the Montessori school of thought... So I guess there are plenty of things to do on the ship? How about food? Did you find there are plenty of kid friendly food? My daughter loves chicken nuggets, rice pilaf, noodles, and milk. I hope they have all of those items in stock.

This is a quick and friendly board. :)

I'm talking about the flight schedule with my wife as I type. Whatever we decide, we better decide quick so we can book our flight and cruise.

Thanks for the ideas about the kids schedule. Similar to the Montessori school of thought... So I guess there are plenty of things to do on the ship? How about food? Did you find there are plenty of kid friendly food? My daughter loves chicken nuggets, rice pilaf, noodles, and milk. I hope they have all of those items in stock.

The first time we took our son on Carnival he was nine months old. He was already eating small-diced solid food. The wait staff was thrilled to get him whatever they could. Once he turned two years old, he got a taste of Camp Carnival. Next year he'll be on his sixth cruise. All he wants to do on the ship is the pool and Camp Carnival. Once we get on the ship, he dosen't want to even know we exist. He actually gets sort of p--sed when we tell him camp is over for the day. They also have a sitting service from 10 pm- 3 am if mommy and daddy so desire. You take the kids in their pj's they have a movie night and have a ball. They have mats & blankets so they cann pass out when they're ready. Have fun!! Bill

I do not know where you are flying from, but did you check flights to Long Beach instead of LAX?

I've flown JetBlue to Long Beach and it's a nice, small, low-stress airport. Plus you will be significantly closer to the pppport if you insist on flying in same-day.

Archived